Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 1/24/2022 at 8:42 AM, csweet said:

Where do you think flights out of CLT are originating? LOL

Puddle jumpers from Raleigh, Columbia, Richmond, and other regional cities.

Do an Expedia search of AA flights from Raleigh to London.  They all go RDU to Clt to Lon.  The same is probably true for other cities in the region like Columbia, Richmond, etc.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 1/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, CltFlyer said:

Interesting to note.  Only 4 cities on this list have a current metro population of less than 12 million.

7.  Atlanta-6,089,815- 1 Airport 

10- Chicago - 9,618,502- 3 Airports* (2 significant)

13- Dubai- 5,640,000- 2 Airports* (1 significant)

15- Dallas- 7,637,387- 2 Airports

If it weren't for the sheikh money  in Dubai.  It wouldn't be on the list.  

ATL wouldn't be on the list if it weren't for Delta.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, TCLT said:

This is kinda true from a ground service perspective. Admrials club are more plentiful and have more amenities at the high value hubs. Flagship lounges, Flagship First dining, various levels of Five Star Service are only available at higher revenue hubs. And the investments AA makes in facilities at high revenue airports is way more than what they put into CLT. The planes and inflight service is more or less the same at all airports, but the overall experience isn't. 

Prime example, this JFK Terminal 8 refresh.

As customers arrive at Terminal 8, a co-branded premium check-in area providing personalized, concierge-style service for top-tier guests will replace American’s former Flagship First Check-In space. Thoughtfully designed architectural elements will also define an exclusive new check-in space for eligible business customers.

Once through security, three distinctive custom lounges combining the best of both brands will provide a refined, welcoming preflight experience for select guests based on cabin of travel and loyalty program status. The expanded premium lounge offerings will incorporate seating for approximately 1,000 of American and British Airways’ most loyal customers. Each lounge has been designed with original high-end finishes — evoking a unique sense of space while elevating the experience and service offered to every guest.

• The most exclusive lounge will have an all-new champagne bar, fireside lounge and a la carte dining room, which reimagines American’s Flagship First Dining into a fully immersive experience.
  • Adjacent, another premium lounge — with sweeping airside views, a wine bar, cocktail lounge, library and buffet — will offer an elevated, lively experience.
  • American’s Flagship Lounge and Concourse B Admirals Club will be repurposed into a contiguous lounge for eligible business class customers.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:04 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Do an Expedia search of AA flights from Raleigh to London.  They all go RDU to Clt to Lon.  The same is probably true for other cities in the region like Columbia, Richmond, etc.

You do understand this is the entire point of a hub and spoke network...

If you do a search of AA flights from CLT to London, you'll realize there's a nonstop flight from here. So what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

edit: Actually, it's probably better if you don't answer that.

Edited by TCLT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, TCLT said:

You do understand this is the entire point of a hub and spoke network...

If you do a search of AA flights from CLT to London, you'll realize there's a nonstop flight from here. So what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

edit: Actually, it's probably better if you don't answer that.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  My point is that many flights from Charlotte aren't originating with people from the local area but rather from connections from other metros in the region like Raleigh.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  My point is that many flights from Charlotte aren't originating with people from the local area but rather from connections from other metros in the region like Raleigh.  

Insightful

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Based on your posts here, and under other topics, you are either 14 or a bot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Is our local traffic still just 10% I know that is what was always said but we have had so much growth.  Plus tons of new parking at the airport that is used quite a bit. 

The AA split is 90ish connecting and 10ish local. All traffic including the other airlines is closer to 80/20 split. I think the local numbers have ticked up somewhat from 10 and 20 over the last few years but those numbers are close enough for comparison. Even though local traffic has increased, AA has grown the hub overall which means more connecting pax as well so the split has remained relatively constant.

edit: Looks like CLT2014 got the actual data. 70/30 split means the AA split should actually be closer to 80/20.

Edited by TCLT
better info from CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

“An airline hub or hub airport is an airport used by one or more airlines to concentrate passenger traffic and flight operations. Hubs serve as transfer points to help get passengers to their final destination. It is part of the hub-and-spoke system.” (Google “What is an airport hub”)

So…CLT is a hub. Okay.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:35 PM, CLT2014 said:

For 2020, the city's report says the composition is "steady" at nearly 30% O&D. I believe the 10% metric is American Airline's market share at CLT, not the O&D percent.

"The composition of traffic in FY 2020 remained steady, with approximately 29.5 percent O&D and 70.5 percent connecting passenger activity. (O&D passengers are those beginning or ending their trips at the Airport, as opposed to connecting passengers who change planes at the Airport to reach their final destination.)"

https://charlottenc.gov/GS/procurement/publications/FY20_Airport_Statements.pdf

Wow, that's a lot of non-AA O&D. Frontier, United, Delta, etc. 

Would kill for a JetBlue expansion. They won't but I would love Mint to SFO or SEA. 

Edited by BarrenLucidity
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BarrenLucidity said:

Would kill for a JetBlue expansion. They won't but I would Mint to SFO or SEA. 

That doesn't mean the 30% O&D is all on other airlines. Some of the traffic on American Airlines at CLT is also O&D (just not the majority). For example, most of my personal O&D travel out of CLT is on AA such as CLT - LAX last month. I would have been an O&D passenger on the plane counting towards the 30% overall for the airport.

Some AA routes at CLT have a larger O&D percentage of passengers on the plane while others are almost entirely connections. For example AA CLT - New York routes have a good amount of O&D travelers, whereas most AA CLT - Greenville, SC flights are 100% connecting passengers. 

Given JetBlue's partnership with American Airlines, there is pretty much zero chance of significant expansion by them here at CLT. No point when AA has all the key routes covered with multiple flights per day. JetBlue is barely utilizing their one gate as is... just 1 daily flight to Boston. If anything, they are "gate squatting" with an entire gate at the airport empty other than one 12:30PM departure each day. More likely than an expansion is JetBlue exits CLT completely and just codeshares with AA on CLT - BOS, that already operates 9 nonstop flights between the two cities each day.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BarrenLucidity said:

Would kill for a JetBlue expansion. They won't but I would Mint to SFO or SEA. 

All other airline traffic, which is 10% of total, is O&D since none of them operate a connecting hub here (yes there's probably some negligible amount of connecting itineraries sold on OALs). So that's a third of the O&D share.

7 hours ago, uptownliving said:

I think it is also important to add more perspective to the  press release.

The last time the airport had passenger numbers that low was 2013, nearly a decade ago.  Compared to other airports Charlotte's numbers are very strong but its also important to remember that nearly a decades worth of growth at CLT has been wiped out by the pandemic.

For those wondering when Concourse B and C will be expanded look at the construction schedule for Concourse A:

Construction is due to start later this year....add 2 years for construction and that puts us in 2024.

When the new phase of Concourse A is open, Delta will move to those gates and American will take over the old Delta gates.

That allows half of Concourse B to be closed so that it can be expanded in 2025ish.

There are going to be more big changes with commercial aviation  and I think CLT is positioned well to take advantage and thrive in the new environment.

We reached that number without having most of our TATL flights though.  Once you add in a "hopefully" much expanded TATL offering this summer.  We will be closer to the 2014-2018 numbers  in 2022.  

Have they confirmed if they are expanding B or C first?  I think C was planned to be first, which would also include new FIS gates, but who knows if that has changed.  Given the timeline, by 2030, B and C expansions should be complete and they can move on to further expansion (midfield terminal?).  

It's easy to complain about how long it is taking to expand, but imho they are doing the best they can without having to give up gates while expanding.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2016 at 3:28 PM, tarhoosier said:

I can easily remember this previous terminal. It is still here on the West Boulevard side or the freight side of the airport. Just drive in and you can see for yourself. I am the old guy with the memory here on the board so I can tell you about the Dogwood Room in the upper level where anyone (pre-TSA) could have a meal or drink and watch the airport traffic. Everyone walked out on the concrete and boarded by a rolling step contraption. In the terminal there were coin operated machines, looked like news paper vending, but were insurance policies for sale for your next flight. Covered death by airplane a flight at a time. For real. This was a smaller town and the air traveling public made a different proportion than today. Not unusual to see someone I knew at the terminal either traveling or working. The idea of earlier air terminals was built on the railroad stations of the time; porters with bright colored uniforms, desk agents, paper tickets, lots of paper punches and rubber stamping.

Now, back to this century, the idea of pride in the representation of the city through the air terminal was certainly there 50 years ago as it is now. The airport was/is "ours" in a larger sense. That is my impression.

My post from 2016 about the older terminal. Well dressed travelers, air travel as an important and rare experience. Recent information shows 11% to 18% f US has never flown in  a plane, if you believe the surveys from several sources.

• Thanks 1