Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

You'd probably be better off getting the AA Executive World Elite credit card. It is $450/year and includes club membership. Seriously considering this myself. I have a US credit card, but since they dropped the mileage savings for reward flights, there is no point for me to have it. That is really the only reason I kept the card for so long. It's only $95/year, but if you figure in that an AA club membership is $400/year and the US card is $95/year, it's actually a savings if you want to be a club member (totally worth it if you travel a bunch - I made up that amount in the first few months in free liquor alone).

• Like 1

You'd probably be better off getting the AA Executive World Elite credit card. It is $450/year and includes club membership. Seriously considering this myself. I have a US credit card, but since they dropped the mileage savings for reward flights, there is no point for me to have it. That is really the only reason I kept the card for so long. It's only $95/year, but if you figure in that an AA club membership is $400/year and the US card is $95/year, it's actually a savings if you want to be a club member (totally worth it if you travel a bunch - I made up that amount in the first few months in free liquor alone).

The Citi Prestige also gives AA club access, plus you get the Priority Pass Select card that comes with the Amex platinum. The annual fee is $450, but you get a $250 annual credit toward airfare cost, so it's effectively $200. Plus you can get a $100 credit toward global entry as well.

• Like 1

The Citi Prestige also gives AA club access, plus you get the Priority Pass Select card that comes with the Amex platinum. The annual fee is $450, but you get a $250 annual credit toward airfare cost, so it's effectively $200. Plus you can get a $100 credit toward global entry as well.

Noted...this may determine my next credit card. Thanks for the info.

Noted...this may determine my next credit card. Thanks for the info.

The one thing I'm unsure of is whether this would get you into the USAir lounges before the merger is official, so be warned.

(And with that, I'll stop talking about credit cards in an urban development forum.)

The one thing I'm unsure of is whether this would get you into the USAir lounges before the merger is official, so be warned.

(And with that, I'll stop talking about credit cards in an urban development forum.)

All the US Lounges have actually already been rebranded as American Admiral's Clubs.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but just wanted to give a thumbs up to Park N Go. I've used them the last 3 times for airport parking and the service can't be beat. The bus follows you to your parking space, so no walk or waiting at a shelter. Then when you come back, they drop you off directly at your car. No walking or trying to remember where you parked. I have actually forgotten on a few occasions at CLT and ended up having a CLT parking truck drive me up and down aisles until I found my car. The drivers are way more courteous than CLT parking bus drivers. And the buses are more frequent than the CLT parking buses (with the exception of business valet). For $4.95/day, plus a buy 10 get one free frequent parker plan, you can't beat it. Once the Little Rock road connection is finished, the ride will be significantly shorter, but it's not bad as it is. Maybe a minute or two longer than long term lots 1 and 2.

I really want the new international terminal (ex-rental car lots) to go up. I remember a year ago, my flight from Cancun had to sit on the tarmac for more than an hour because of a Lufthansa A340 taking up 2 gates at concourse D.

JetBlue will be moving to Concourse A soon, so that will open up another international capable gate on Concourse D.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly airport passenger traffic declined in January 2015 vs. January 2014, but aircraft movements were slightly up over the same period. Both statistics are counter to recent trends in which passenger traffic was up but aircraft movements were down.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/12/fewer-passengers-traveled-through-clt-airport-in.html?r=full

This site is also useful for looking at passenger traffic and aircraft movements.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/AboutCLT/Pages/CLT%20Traffic%20and%20Activity%20Reports%20new.aspx

As for 288, it's repaired and has been doing a few test runs. As I write this, N288AY is flying over Tennessee as US9465. So European summer schedule will not be affected.

As for airport traffic, airlines cancelled hundreds of flights, and that's the reason. However what is surprising, is the increase of aircraft movement; as someone said, it's the opposite of what has happened recently.

• Like 2

So does anyone want to venture a guess if we would be on the short (or long) list to get Ryanair here in Charlotte??

Even if the fares are reasonably higher than $15 each way - before the tax upon tax upon tax that they levy.....

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/flights-to-london-for-14-78-ryanair-is-coming-to-113884720162.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

C-Design has been selected as the architectural firm for the renovations of Concourse A, B, and C. They are the ones that did the yet to be opened West Terminal Expansion.

LS3P has been selected to do the renovation of the Atrium and Concourses D and E.

Looking forward to what these firms come up with.

• Like 1

I know the atrium is slated to get new lighting, ceilings, and paint (the exposed trusses are in bad need).  Beyond that, not sure what LS3P will do.  The A/B connector has an anticipated opening date of April 26th.  The new restaurant concept and retailers won't open till late summer.

In other news, American Airlines announced today that the hub operation at CLT took first place among AA hubs in the fourth quarter of 2014 with the highest customer satisfaction ratings within the company.

• Like 3

Today I visited the Hertz rental facility at CLT due to a friend who needed a ride there. On the screen behind the sales reps there were captions saying "Enjoy North Carolina", along with displays of pics fading in and out every few seconds including Charlotte skyline, Asheville mountains, the outer banks, etc. There was also one of Columbia, SC! It took me a second to recognize it but when I yelled it out loud to my friend and the associate they thought I was crazy. I wanted to take a photo but unfortunately I missed it barely, and didn't have much time to wait until it returned on its cycle. Why would Hertz add a photo of Columbia on something that says "Enjoy North Carolina"?

Also, I asked when they were moving to their new facility at the garage and their response was: April!

Edited by Temeteron

While the connection opportunities in Charlotte do help us get flights that we otherwise never would, I don't think you should use that metric in regards to comparing our chances of a flight to Orlando's.  While our populations are about the same, Orlando has nearly 3x as much O&D traffic as we do.  Simply put - people are flying to Orlando to visit Orlando (theme parks).

Unfortunately, right now I'm not going to hold my breath in hopes of Qatar flying here.  But maybe some day.

Having spent a lot of time on business in Florida, particularly Tampa and Orlando I'm not surprised by Orlando getting a flight to Dubai since it's a heavy tourist destination as allplanes implied. Honestly, a little stunned they don't already. Most of the people I know that live in the Tampa/St. Pete area actually drive up to Orlando for international destinations. I think they may even have higher O&D traffic than Atlanta. Fingers crossed that CLT one day sees Qatar though..

Edited by wend28