Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still dont think the Granby Tower will reach that much taller than 450ft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We won't know till it is started. We have no idea how tall the westin really is, i just here guesstimations on how tall it should be. We won't know until they feel like it

So I went to the Town Center to meet up with some friends last night, and unbeknownst to me, Ruth's Chris hadn't officially opened yet, but was having a special VIP event, where everything in the place was free.

The only thing better than a good steak and stiff drinks are a good steak and stiff drinks that are free.

I recommend everyone to go there and try the ribeye. It's excellent, and the interior and bar are very classy. It overlooks a promenade area with a fountain that I hadn't noticed before--I hadn't been down there in a while. The area is starting to come together nicely.

I went to best buy today to get some fuses for my amp and me and the family decided to stop by TC. The fountain was a awesome site. The cosmo look great as well. Can't wait to see what the Westin will look like. I imagine awesome. I can't wait to see the Granby tower either.

So I went to the Town Center to meet up with some friends last night, and unbeknownst to me, Ruth's Chris hadn't officially opened yet, but was having a special VIP event, where everything in the place was free.

The only thing better than a good steak and stiff drinks are a good steak and stiff drinks that are free.

I recommend everyone to go there and try the ribeye.

Sounds nice. I heard food at that restaurant is quite expensive. Did you happen to notice the menu prices while there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed a couple prices on the steaks. Their filet is $30, and a little less for the petit filet. Their signature ribeye is $35, and a little less for the normal ribeye.

The sides are large portions, and I'm not sure how much.

As with all the big national chain restaurants (like PF Changs and the Cheesecake Factory), you pay a premium for the atmosphere and location. It's a special occasion type of place, but it really is good. Personally, I'd rather go out to eat there than a place like Magnolia Steak.

That retail/entertainment block (pictured above ^) somewhat reminds me of the 2-level shopping center in DT Boston near Faneil Hall if anyone on here knows what I'm talking about. If they do, then they know it's a great place to shop and just "be". It's a great little microcosm (spelling?) within the city and a fun place to spend an afternoon or evening. I can see the retail portion of TC emulating it to a degree (minus the history of course and the 50 story office towers lol).

That retail/entertainment block (pictured above ^) somewhat reminds me of the 2-level shopping center in DT Boston near Faneil Hall if anyone on here knows what I'm talking about.  If they do, then they know it's a great place to shop and just "be".  It's a great little microcosm (spelling?) within the city and a fun place to spend an afternoon or evening.  I can see the retail portion of TC emulating it to a degree (minus the history of course and the 50 story office towers lol).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mmmmmh the only things missing from that comparison are the people and the retail...

mmmmmh the only things missing from that comparison are the people and the retail...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In time.... A new block of "all retail" (we'll see how that goes...) plus 105 condos (Westin) + 600 apartments (City View---number subject to change) will = People. Oh yeah... we need to work on the pretty skyscrapers and historical significance as well :unsure: but we'll see? :D

Can we say "Nimby"? There is a column in todays pilot that is not in the online version that i think everyone should read when they get a chance. It's called "Dancing serfs Waltz through Virginia" and its on page B9 in the opinion section. Besides making a few salient points on traffic this entire piece is completely deadset against development in Towncenter :angry: . One of the highlighted quotes in the piece "The City Council's relentless drive to develop a downtown is driving me crazy". If you have a chance to grab the paper, read it and tell me what you guys think. Hopefully it will bew online soon and i can link to it.

Funny you mention this b/c I just now read this article. I was thinking the same thing. There are a few folks around here that want to keep the 'small town' feel and probably dislike changes. I think this guy is one of em. But I believe we cannot AFFORD to sit idly by waiting for VB to go downhill. Already we are a 40 yo city and are beginning to feel the effects as housing and buildings detiorate (sp). It was rightly so stated a few years ago that if TC was never built the Pembroke area would have continued in its decline. TC has been the BEST thing ever happen to spark development (here and around the city) as well as raise the bar on quality of housing and retail in the area. True it is not a downtown (at least not yet) but this area will only continue to get bigger and better as times go by. Older properties will be forced to rehab and keep up 'with the jones's'. I realize we have some traffic issues but that comes with growth. Hopefully Constituation will be extended to Bonney to alleviate some of these problems.

maybe they are talking about to cities trying to be the "downtown" in the region, instead of having one big downtown. We will have two medium size downtowns

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish that were the case rus be he makes no such point and in fact never even mentions Norfolk. His entire point seems to be that he came to Va. Beach because he felt it was a small town and he wants it to stay that way, i.e. no urbanization of any kind.

Funny you mention this b/c I just now read this article. I was thinking the same thing. There are a few folks around here that want to keep the 'small town' feel and probably dislike changes. I think this guy is one of em. But I believe we cannot AFFORD to sit idly by waiting for VB to go downhill. Already we are a 40 yo city and are beginning to feel the effects as housing and buildings detiorate (sp). It was rightly so stated a few years ago that if TC was never built the Pembroke area would have continued in its decline. TC has been the BEST thing ever happen to spark development (here and around the city) as well as raise the bar on quality of housing and retail in the area. True it is not a downtown (at least not yet) but this area will only continue to get bigger and better as times go by. Older properties will be forced to rehab and keep up 'with the jones's'. I realize we have some traffic issues but that comes with growth. Hopefully Constituation will be extended to Bonney to alleviate some of these problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, i just wish this guy would realize that. His attitude, if it catches on to the general public, would be dangerous to the future of this city. So far it seems that most in this city love towncenter and look on it with some semblance of pride. Everyone seems to be behind TC for now, lets hope that continues.

I wish that were the case rus be he makes no such point and in fact never even mentions Norfolk. His entire point seems to be that he came to Va. Beach because he felt it was a small town and he wants it to stay that way, i.e. no urbanization of any kind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we don't have a choice and maybe with the urbanization we can attract fortune 500 companies to the area, making it presentable to them and show what we have to offer, but at the same sense they could look and ask why 2 downtowns in the area and think that its stupid.

Archived