The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

Gotta say, I think this design is incredibly boring. What (other than sheer height) does this building offer the skyline that the old Wachovia building in Winston-Salem doesn't add? 3-4 decades later and the buildings all still look the same. Why can't we get some decent architecture in this town.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the project went from 14 to 32 to 25 to 31 in about 6 years...

The design seems to have changed a bit, but overall has the same themes:

25 story old design:

DSC_2516m.jpg

31 story new design:

reg-1420339-902218.embedded.jpg

BTW, good news that it will have ground floor retail (7.1k sf), but anyone notice this number: CONDOMINIUMS: 25 units on 12 floors totaling 79,000 square feet. Looks like another Soleil with the size of the units and about only 2 per floor!

Also, while there will be street level retail on H St., the Dawson St. side will have a big ol' parking deck facing The Dawson.

Well, that sorta makes sense...neither Dawson nor Morgan have any street parking on those blocks. Hillsborough Street does...plus the nice brick sidewalk and lampposts. It has a more pedestrian-shopping style.

And frankly, anything to add to Hillsborough Street is a good thing in my book.

I'm not going to judge or compare the new design to the old one until I see a better rendering. I doubt that rendering gives the new design justice. I bet if we got a rendering for the new design like we had for the old design it would look a lot better and keep a lot more of the elements of the new design than it looks like it does.

Definitely not a good comparison--it's all we have to go on until we get a better rendering online (I haven't seen the print version).

Also, while there will be street level retail on H St., the Dawson St. side will have a big ol' parking deck facing The Dawson.

It's actually the Morgan St side that faces the Dawson, and this is the very thing that can be improved through the development review process. With the city selling Reynolds the land half the building sits on, you'd think they could make a few small concessions to the site plan on the first floor retail, and maybe spruce up some design elements.

As I said before, this project and the condos just south of The Dawson and north of Park Devereux will make this a nice little gateway to the Warehouse Distrcit/TTA station.

Gotta say, I think this design is incredibly boring. What (other than sheer height) does this building offer the skyline that the old Wachovia building in Winston-Salem doesn't add? 3-4 decades later and the buildings all still look the same. Why can't we get some decent architecture in this town.

No doubt. This basically looks like a taller, narrower version of the Quorum Center, also done by Reynolds. Guess he saved some cash on the architectural firm fees.

And I know they're less expensive than their below-ground couterparts, but man, a few years from now, the city is really going to regret all these above-ground parking decks in prime areas.

I like this design alittle better than the first, because of the height factor and a more modern look, but the first design was more unique, but also, I think once we see a rendering in color of the new design, hearts will be won over for the new design. It has more design details that the poor black and white renderings are not showing, and I think it still looks better than the planned RBC plaza tower. :yahoo:

Someone needs to do another downtown rendering with this building included. I personally like both designs but would like to see the 31-story building incorporate some more of the design features of the other building. Isn't this supposed to be a LEED-type project?

It's actually the Morgan St side that faces the Dawson,

Doh! You're right. I MEANT that the Hillsborough St. side will have street level retail, but it's at the expense of the Morgan St. side. I wonder if they could redesign the bottom with the parking on the first few levels, but street level retail would buttress it's base on at least three sides (kinda like RBC's base).

Good comparison to Soleil. There will be 1 or 2 condos on each floor. This angle apparently shows the north and west faces. So far there is no indication that these condos have balconies.

That name is bad. With it looking like an L from every angle, maybe they should call it "The L". Then their motorized vertical transport system could be call the "evator".

Seriously, I think a glass exterior elevator would look great on that west face.

I personally like the design. Raleigh needs something modern and sheek such as this building. We should be appreciative and welcome this project with open arms

I personally like the design. Raleigh needs something modern and sheek such as this building. We should be appreciative and welcome this project with open arms

Do you mean "chic"?

Do you mean "chic"?

I think I will reserve judgement until I see the building from multiple angles. There are things they could do with the roofline - make it bow out a little like RBC does, that you can't necessarily tell from this rendering. I'm just excited another huge building is going up downtown! This will also help spread the skyline out more. Thanks Reynolds'!

Thats not alot of retail space......the entire ground floor is close to an acre (43560 sqft)including the parking deck....give us 20k feet or so at least. And I can understand having none facing Dawson St...thats a loud fast street to face out to, but having say two storefronts facing each of Hillsborough and Morgan would be a good fit in that part of town. Hillsborough, Morgan, Hargett, Martin and Davie should be full of stores west of Dawson....that is our best shot at a commercial district in downtown proper imo.

Someone needs to do another downtown rendering with this building included. I personally like both designs but would like to see the 31-story building incorporate some more of the design features of the other building. Isn't this supposed to be a LEED-type project?

I'd love to see a rendering with the proposed buildings from the Broughton Angle.

"The Raleigh?"

WHAT?!?!

That is the WORST name in the history of everything.

CHEESY

oh well, buildings great

although, I loved the old rendering about 355 times better. It had so much more character.

OH WELL!

I'll wait till the color renderings are out to pass judgement (even though i already did but whatever)

Great for Raleigh!

Archived