The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

i dont think the design will be changed much. it was quite different from the other designs that are planned for downtown. many council members were skeptics on this project for the sole reason that it had yet to be presented to them, but when all fell into place and the design concept was released, there is much more confidence. I really expect this porject to come to fruition for downtown.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe after all of these projects are committed with construction Soleil will come in with a great architect and give downtown its signature building. :shades: They obviously have a flair for dynamic architecture.

To be honest, while I'd love to have that centerpiece building, I think we need to focus on creating blocks upon blocks of things worth walking to. If one were to walk from, say, the new convention center to Krispy Kreme or to Mellow Mushroom, he or she would encounter several blocks where there is nothing worth stopping for and no residential along the way. Parking decks are expensive, but it seems that with ample demand, property owners would much rather develop their empty lots than gather parking revenues. The Blount St. project will greatly help the NE quadrant.

For this to happen in the western half of downtown, we need a slew of 4-6 story projects to be successful. Maybe even some 3-story row houses which don't create a lot of demand for parking spaces (a la Capitol Hill in DC). If we can fill up blocks with low to moderate density and run out of lots for tall buildings, we'll have a great problem to have - we'll have a downtown where people want to be. Chances are, though, that somewhere along the way the tall buildings would come into play.

This is kind of why I'm not so excited about West on North adding a few floors. Those floors will make no difference to the skyline, and will gobble up demand for condos in that area. I'd honestly rather have 2 West on Norths that are 6 stories each, or 3 that are 4 stories - so long as those extra buildings replace hopeless buidlings or paved lots.

There is a LOT to do in the meantime! Let's push some dirt!!

Maybe after all of these projects are committed with construction Soleil will come in with a great architect and give downtown its signature building. :shades: They obviously have a flair for dynamic architecture.

To be honest, while I'd love to have that centerpiece building, I think we need to focus on creating blocks upon blocks of things worth walking to. If one were to walk from, say, the new convention center to Krispy Kreme or to Mellow Mushroom, he or she would encounter several blocks where there is nothing worth stopping for and no residential along the way. Parking decks are expensive, but it seems that with ample demand, property owners would much rather develop their empty lots than gather parking revenues. The Blount St. project will greatly help the NE quadrant.

For this to happen in the western half of downtown, we need a slew of 4-6 story projects to be successful. Maybe even some 3-story row houses which don't create a lot of demand for parking spaces (a la Capitol Hill in DC). If we can fill up blocks with low to moderate density and run out of lots for tall buildings, we'll have a great problem to have - we'll have a downtown where people want to be. Chances are, though, that somewhere along the way the tall buildings would come into play.

This is kind of why I'm not so excited about West on North adding a few floors. Those floors will make no difference to the skyline, and will gobble up demand for condos in that area. I'd honestly rather have 2 West on Norths that are 6 stories each, or 3 that are 4 stories - so long as those extra buildings replace hopeless buidlings or paved lots.

Amen!! Make downtown worth being in, not pretty on a freakin' postcard.......we have no residential fabric areas with deli's, bookstores and dry cleaners on each block. 20,000 people downtown in 3-6 story buildings for 90% of downtown and a cluster of highrise by the CC and downtown will be quite cool.

The thing that kind of scares me about some of these buildings and the height of them is what happens in 20-25 years when height really is a issue with little to no property available downtown. That will mean that some of these shorter buildings with condo will have to be bought by buying out the owners of these condos and not the building itself. That is an expensive proposition and could really tie up property in the next 20-25 years when more developers want to building higher in that timeframe.

I was all for the Hudson redevelopment but the more I think about it, it is a 3 story building where a 50 story+plus building could be built.

I guess I should go against what my parents told me about planning and

DANG! It seems that Reynolds is happening, sorry to be so pessimistic guys! (although half of my goal was to see if there were updates)

Well, I am wrong, OH WELL!!!!

I am very happy to be wrong. Reynolds is a beast.

I will believe it when I see Ted out there with a golden shovel or doing doughnuts in the parking lot in a Monster truck in front of the press on "Construction start day".

I do think he has been quiet so RBC/Highwoods could finalize so he can come in and build his building 20 feet higher.

The thing that kind of scares me about some of these buildings and the height of them is what happens in 20-25 years when height really is a issue with little to no property available downtown. That will mean that some of these shorter buildings with condo will have to be bought by buying out the owners of these condos and not the building itself. That is an expensive proposition and could really tie up property in the next 20-25 years when more developers want to building higher in that timeframe.

I was all for the Hudson redevelopment but the more I think about it, it is a 3 story building where a 50 story+plus building could be built.

I guess I should go against what my parents told me about planning and

Agreed. I'd rather see variety downtown anyways. Let's have a good mix of larger buildings and smaller buildings, it gives Raleigh character. It'll be interesting to see what kind of fill comes in around the Reynolds building. I like the older home/office/restaurants along Hillsborough but would like to see a little more height in that area as this new building comes online.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived