The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

post-7944-1147706142_thumb.jpgIts not just the heighth that is the issue here. It is the architecture of this building that is a bit disappointing. There has been several mentions of how unimpressing it is and that is resembles a marriage of Progress I and II. Even if this building kept its current proposed height of 32 stories, with different architecture, this building could distinguish itself in the center of DT. I always loved the proposed First Citizens HQ that was proposed for that block 15 years ago. While at only 29 stories, it really captured good architecture.

post-7944-1147706142_thumb.jpg

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-7944-1147706142_thumb.jpgIts not just the heighth that is the issue here. It is the architecture of this building that is a bit disappointing. There has been several mentions of how unimpressing it is and that is resembles a marriage of Progress I and II. Even if this building kept its current proposed height of 32 stories, with different architecture, this building could distinguish itself in the center of DT. I always loved the proposed First Citizens HQ that was proposed for that block 15 years ago. While at only 29 stories, it really captured good architecture.

Was the top of that building designed by that weirdo who did the bank building next to HT in Cameron Village? :D

No, I wasn't referring to the Site 4 LaFayette project, although it is another good example of the benefit of shopping outside of Raleigh's usual suspects, regarding downtown architecture. I'm probably not telling you all something new, but Hatem shopped NYC to select the architect for that project.

However, I do concur with those who beleive that the Highwoods project could be larger. Unfortunately, the development paradigm in DT Raleigh revolves around 2008...we need to start planning and building for the downtown of say 2015, rather than the immediate short-term. Additionally, our passive, take whatever comes approach needs to be remedied immediately through the incorporation of a true development plan - one that identifies the development potential of each opportunity site, rather than allowing developers to dictate the market.

No, I wasn't referring to the Site 4 LaFayette project, although it is another good example of the benefit of shopping outside of Raleigh's usual suspects, regarding downtown architecture. I'm probably not telling you all something new, but Hatem shopped NYC to select the architect for that project.

However, I do concur with those who beleive that the Highwoods project could be larger. Unfortunately, the development paradigm in DT Raleigh revolves around 2008...we need to start planning and building for the downtown of say 2015, rather than the immediate short-term. Additionally, our passive, take whatever comes approach needs to be remedied immediately through the incorporation of a true development plan - one that identifies the development potential of each opportunity site, rather than allowing developers to dictate the market.

I agree with you, this is the Capital city we shouldn't have bland looking buildings,i also think the city will get on track and start asking more of developers in terms of designs of new projects going downtown Raleigh needs some eye candy.

... good example of the benefit of shopping outside of Raleigh's usual suspects, regarding downtown architecture. I'm probably not telling you all something new, but Hatem shopped NYC to select the architect for that project.

Yeah, but what does that say? The last NYC architect that came to town (perfectly capable and talented, with lots of nice stuff in their portfolio) put up a mediocre red brick monolith.

Based on Hatem's reputation, it wouldn't be surprising if he had to leave town to find an architect willing to work for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Reynolds and RBC are having a secret behind the scences battle for who's going to have the tallest skyscraper for downtown Raleigh, i also think the Reynolds are very good at keeping their plans a secret i think they will raise the bar if not for tallest,but just plain old outstanding design. :D

There are a few things I dont understand- such as: where do the young professionals who are the only ones who want to live downtown get the money to afford a 900sf condo that cost $250,000? I have lived downtown for about 10 years and now everything is over priced and is becomming so cliche'.

As long as everyone respects the old builidings and the original layout of downtown. I would be happy.

Arthurb3

www.geocities.com/arthurb3/index.html

everything is over-priced and is becomming so cliche'.

As long as everyone respects the old builidings and the original layout of downtown. I would be happy.

Because Raleigh was a sleepy city until 30 years ago, there aren't many old residential buildings. "Becoming cliche"? please. We've all been dying for new downtown residential for YEARS and now all we can do is complain when nice buildings are being put in.

What will happen is what has happened around Five Points. People want to live near people wealthier than they are. After the market for 500K + condos gets filled, developers will follow suit with more stuff that is cheaper and people will take stuff that was previously not desirable and really improve it.

If you're complaining about 250K, though, I don't think there are many cities or areas of Raleigh, for that matter, in which you'll find good NEW CONSTRUCTION. If you want to spend 200K or less, pretty much in any city you'll have to be an urban pioneer.

For the last 30 years downtown Raleigh residential growth has been all about the young, creative set. They've maxed out what there, so let's celebrate that and quit complaining that people want to come in and build nice stuff. It's not like we're Greensboring any more.

I'm a little confused about this image... is this the actual rendering of the Reynolds tower, or is it just some type of example of what would be a good or bad tower? Or is this the rendering of the old First Citizens building that was never built... come to think of it, it looks similar lol.

Thats definitely the rendering for the proposed First Citizens building that was never built. I wish we could get some renderings for Reynolds!

yeah, thanks for that. so when is the "new" deadline that was determined in like February for reynolds to submit plans for the property? it seems like june is long past what it was, but i could be wrong. i figured we'd see something more specific by now considering the deadline has been changed twice! i'm getting impatient, like everyone else!

Thats definitely the rendering for the proposed First Citizens building that was never built. I wish we could get some renderings for Reynolds!

Whew...I hope that you are right. I was hoping to see something a but more modern in style from Reynolds.

• 2 weeks later...

WTVD just released pictures on the reynolds tower it's 25 stories with a nice looking huge square shaped crown at the top ,the picture was in black and white ,somebody with some computer skills get the full details, and also the lafeyette was also shown at 16 to 20 stories ,it's a very nice looking Hotel from what I could tell the picture was in black and white also.

Archived