The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

Because there are streets on three sides of "The Raleigh", my assumption is that we are seeing the east face of the tower in the rendering. In other words the building is longer north/south than it is east/west. Therefore, the building probably only sits in the right box of the Reynolds site plan property (the one occupied by the current building shown in gray). If this is right, the building will have but a very skinny impact on the "money shot".

This buildling reminds me so much of the Millenium Hilton (across from Ground Zero). I remember seeing it on TV and then in person was struck by how small each floor is. - I mean, like 8,000 sq feet max.

millenium.jpg

One thing to remember is that that Clarion footprint in the site plan shows the fat parking deck circumference, not the tower's bulk.

If you want something really creepy, ride up to the top of that Clarion parking deck and look around in the nooks and crannies. Creepy, desolate place.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would make sense to put the "water feature" on the Hillsborough/Dawson SW corner, facing the old Capitol building. This would fill the "E" rectangle of SITE in the siteplan, and leave S for more development, possibly another tower 3-5 years later? Trees 4 and 5 on the Hillsborough side would be in front of nothing (maybe just surface parking)? This would let the market absorb this, Quorum, Site 1, RBC, etc. while increasing the value of the land there. "The Raleigh" wouldn't cast a shadow on the Dawson at Morgan, since it is south of there.

It looks like part of the parking deck is visible on the "Hillsborough" side on the west edge, which could be merged with a similar deck of the "second" tower for one unified structure.

Also, it would put public art (but no actual "entrances") on Dawson Street, allowing retail/restaurants on Hillsborough and maybe Morgan, since the picture does not show that face of the building.

Raleigh is going to become the king of odd downtowns, where every building is, um, distinct, if they keep adding things like this. I haven't seen many designs that accentuate/stress/feature the parking garage over the building itself (or what appears to be a covered parking garage). Maybe it is the angle in the photo, but I do not like this design.

Ok, everybody just relax :) .That rendering was not supposed to be released to the media, the younger Reynolds was pretty "hot", when the N&O printed it in the paper, also the building shown, was just to show the massing of the building."So I guess that's why he was alittle heated with the paper", also the name of the building currently is "THE RALEIGH", this will not be the real name of this building, when it's starts to get built. :thumbsup:

As my understanding goes, the older rendering (the more detailed one) is outdated). The newer rendering (the one that was included in Flash's rendering) is just massing and doesn't have details on it. So we really don't know how this building will look, but we'll know it's general shape. They might borrow elements from the older rendering, but we don't know the detailed structure of "The Raleigh" yet.

As my understanding goes, the older rendering (the more detailed one) is outdated). The newer rendering (the one that was included in Flash's rendering) is just massing and doesn't have details on it. So we really don't know how this building will look, but we'll know it's general shape. They might borrow elements from the older rendering, but we don't know the detailed structure of "The Raleigh" yet.

I guess I'm in the minority, but..

I think the first rendering that was released is definitely on the ugly side. But the second rendering, in spite of being boxy, looks good to me... lots of glass and the proportions seem good. I wouldn't be disappointed if it were an actual rendering, not just a massing diagram. (Why would they render something that's just a massing with textures and ground-level detail in the first place?)

I don't necessarily think that each building in the skyline should be a showplace in and of itself, but the boxiness of this structure doesn't make for a positive urban image. Hopefully the details will emerge post-approval and it'll be articulated and less... um... ugly.

wow this topic is very negative. I hate reading posts like this blah oh its Raleigh, oh its a box, blah. Can we stop with that crap already?? Its a great development outside the "Downtown Core". Nothing is official yet so quit speculating. This reminds me of ESPN overanalyzing a football game before the game is even played.

wow this topic is very negative. I hate reading posts like this blah oh its Raleigh, oh its a box, blah. Can we stop with that crap already?? Its a great development outside the "Downtown Core". Nothing is official yet so quit speculating. This reminds me of ESPN overanalyzing a football game before the game is even played.

Very good point, I like reynolds and all, but a dense core is even better. Atlanta is very spread out, and it makes it hard to get a really great shot of all the cities buildings. although I'll still take the tower, i mean its thirty stories.

Archived