The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think/hope "The Raleigh" is a placeholder name, and they are working on naming rights with either the hotel or a large tenant. There already is a Raleigh Building on West Hargett south of Wachovia.

The Dawson/Morgan and Dawson/Hillsborough corners could "soften" the dull face on Dawson similar to the way the Borough does in the Dawson on Morgan. The building across Dawson has no street presence on Dawson either, but automobiles will be hard to get into or out of a deck entrance on Dawson, with the "short" block from Hillsborough to Morgan.

If the deck entrance is on Morgan about where the parking lot entrances currently are, that will give plenty of room for retail on that side, in addition to Hillsborough St. This will get the warehouse district a block closer to connecting to the CBD. The parking decks on both sides of Morgan between Dawson and McDowell and the AT&T Building at Morgan/McDowell/Hargett are the two biggest "dead blocks" that seperate the two areas.

MKAY GUYS

stop including reynolds in all of your "Raleigh highrises list" I hate to be a pessimist, but reynolds is sketchy and probably wont happen, or at least not until 2020 or something like that. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. WAH. I don't see why they put up a rendering in the first place. It'll never be built.

If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear it, seriously, i would, I want it to happen.

*DIES*

Just.....umm......

pretend I never said that.......

kay?

thaaaaaaaanks

*Dies again*

:whistling:

This is the biggest piece of crap in Raleigh. It's like a huge monolith (bricked up windows!) that does nothing to add to the city, and provides a big obstacle (as you said) to connecting F St/Depot/and Glenwood South.

It also has gigantic air conditioners on top it the size of two-story houses. This, above any other structure in the city, needs to get bulldozed.

Is that building still completely functional? I would imagine that advances in technology have rendered such a large phone operations center unnecessary. Could its functions be moved to a smaller more modern facility. Certainly the profit from selling the land could help such a transition.

Could this be the site of a new, modern, striking building that would help fill in the money shot? This is getting off topic. But a nice highrise i.e. greater than 25 stories would nicely connect the gaps between Wachovia and BBT but also Wachovia and Reynolds. (way to bring it back to topic). A new, tall N and O building would also help fill in that gap.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I don't have photoshop, and I am not good at computer design, SO i made a little thing the best i could comparing the clarion to reynolds.

comparison.jpg

If you look at their footprints, the clarion is about 2/3 the width of the reynolds footprint. But the tower part of reynolds is not the whole footprint. SO as my guess I would say that the tower component of the reynolds tower will be about as wide as the clarion, if not thinner. It is a very skinny tower, not unlike soleil.

Archived