The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

I think its a great project. I actually look forward to this one more then RBC plaza (only slightly, believe me, ha) because of its mixed use. The hotel/condo/office/retail is one heck of a combo. I've noticed that people use the small deck on the SE corner of morgan and dawson to go to the burrough and flying saucer. if the hotel restaurant is a success it has easy accessibility by people who drive over. Office workers will create traffic during the day with condo tenants and hotel visitors adding at night. Best of all it helps link glenwood south over to the warehouse district and fayetteville street. Its friggin' awesome! :thumbsup:

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hillsborough St is crying out to be a street of focus...with more retail, and people stepping out from a hotel and looking around etc....the street lamps and older trees already make it nice now the uses just need to expand......CAM in the warehouse district and this tower plus Clarion, West@North, Quorum and on to the mids of Glenwood make for a nice looking urban district, quite distinct, and thanks to the no-mans land between Dawson and Salsibury, quite separate from the Fayetteville, Convention, City Market district to the east.

The Dawson/McDowell/Salisbury no-man's east of Reynolds can be fixed, with a little work.

On Hillsborough Street, the churches probably aren't going anywhere, but the west side of McDowell has a three story building and parking lot. If the parking deck west of there could be taller, a builiding that compliments the existing structure could fit.

On Morgan and Hargett, the city's block and deck could make way for something bigger. The AT&T building is a dead face, but is it still necessary? Could they at least spruce up the exterior to make it look like an office building? Between McDowell and Salisbury, the church recently added the Family Life center, and the storefronts on Salisbury are ok, but could be cleaned up.

Between Hargett and Martin, Nash Square is a nice oasis, though the sidewalk network could be simplified to allow for more green space. The N&O block will be developed "sometime".

The east Martin/Davie block is the Wake County Hall of Justice. The west one has several small parcels that could be combined. Turn Key Tire and Firestone would be easy to redevelop. The Berkley cafe is hardly a "no man's land."

The western Davie/Cabarrus block has 209 West Davie already in development. West of that project, the repair center at the SE corner of Davie and Dawson could be developed too. I think the bottling plant on the north side of Cabarrus on this block is interesting, but not sure if it is worth preserving. If it was subdivided, it might do better than it has in recent years. The non-parking deck parts of the Davie/McDowell/Cabarrus/Salisbury block are a prime redevelopment opportunity for its proximity to the new convention center to the south, warehouse district, etc.

It is a blessing in disguise to have the eight block Hillsborough/Salisbury/Cabarrus/Dawson area ripe for development from late 2008 and beyond, making Reynolds Tower the linchpin in its part of the CBD.

Wow. I'm more impressed with the night rendering, actually! We really do need some more glass in this town--and this picture shows exactly what I've been hoping for. What an exciting time for Raleigh. I agree with the other posts about the location...that's going to be one nice area with a variety of uses. Raleigh's really beginning to mature in to the city many of us have been dying to see. I really like the feel of that area on Hillsborough, approaching the capitol.

The glass and precast concrete tower would rise from a spot between Fayetteville Street, where new business is beginning to emerge, and Glenwood South, the bustling restaurant and nightclub district.

"We wanted a signature building," David Reynolds said. "Not the same old architecture."

With precast concrete, will it go up quickly, like 222 Glenwood has in the last couple of weeks?

The Borough should encourage its customers to use the city deck's spaces across Dawson. Maybe they want the city to stop charging at 5 instead of the current 6 or 7? The lot where the Nash will be built will be open for a while, but soon that will be under construction as well. On street parking on Hillsborough is also an option... maybe they can work a deal with Hillsborough Place to use its deck after hours? I know Sacred Heart and Church of the Good Shepard already do this on Sundays.

I think they are referring to the surface lot (309 Hillsborough property, which is where the Reynolds Tower deck will go) between the dumpy city bldg and the Saucer/law firm. I pass it everyday and the majority of the spaces appear to be for either city or Hillsbrough Place (that 4-story brick building across Dawson) workers during the day... but the issue for The Borough will be the nighttime parking, which is open to the public "evenings only" according to the sign. It's also used by 2nd Empire across Hillbrough in the evening.

You know what? Businesses are going to have to deal with this issue more and more... Nash, West@N, 630 N, etc, are all going to be built on current surface parking lots. Good riddance! Some of the small-minded Smithfield/Fuquay crowd that visits DT Raleigh will begin to realize what a real downtown is like...

"OMG! I have to WALK 2 WHOLE BLOCKS from my parking space???!!! Raleigh has a major parking problem!!!"

:P

When I read that article my response to the Borough was,"If you want the parking lot, you could pony up the money to buy it. Otherwise get over it."

Imagine that. A renter is whining that a nearby landowner wants to develop land that the renter has been "using", for free. It's kind of like when St. Timothy's parents complained that the makeover of The Lassiter would take away parking spaces for their drop-off/pick-up.

782-Hillsborough-01-29-07_PS_sm.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

I finally got to watch the PC meeting and now understand this buildling's massing. This photo is definitely of the NE corner of the building (as if the artist is standing here). The Hillsborough Street side will have elevator lobbies for the hotel and residential while the NW corner, I believe, will be the office lobby.

As the rendering shows, the first third of the building is office space occupying the entire face of Dawson street. It's basically a N-S shoebox proportionally. In the NE corner of the shoebox, a couple of packs of Wrigley's gum arise (one is taller than the other). They are oriented with their wide flat faces to the west and east. Therefore the tower will be very skinny from the north and south views.

The complex as seen from above is nearly a perfect square. The west half of the square is a parking deck. The SE corner of the square is the low-rise office portion while the NE corner is the high-rise section. For this reason, any rendering of this building will look like a well proportioned tower with a tail off the left or right. In this particular rendering, the nighttime one, the parking structure doesn't really appear on the right as it should.

I like how the office space is still in scaled with Hillsborough Square and with The Dawson. Really only the corner has the dominant, 428' tall portion. Add to that, almost all portions of the N, E, and S sides that are not vehicular access or elevator lobby are retail. The cutaway renderings appear to have the retail faces withdrawn from teh facade of the upper floors. This is to achieve the effect of a wide, pedestrian friendly sidewalk experience. The withdrawn face allows for seating areas for restaurants mainly.

One other thing: the garage has its accesses at the midpoints of the complex's H-st and Morgan Street facades. The west wall of the parking deck has minimal ventilation opening and appears to be preparing to abut a building in the future.

According to the "planning commission approval" N&O story, city council will vote on this project at the today's meeting (Feb 6th).

Here is the council agenda though the link seems to only point to the most recent agenda, so it will be different in a week or so.

There is also a project on the SE corner of St. Marys and West for .17 acres to Office and Institution-2. There is no project associated with it specifically, but it sets the groundwork for something to go in that space.

No, the sale is contingent on the building moving forward for construction. Basically, when they are weeks or days from construction, the property would be appraised and sold to Reynolds.

N&O story:

The latest deal with the city sets a timeline for the project, including at what point developers must close on the property at 301 Hillsborough St.

Work on the building's shell must start in October, according to the agreement. The project must be completed by July 2009.

If the Reynolds team doesn't meet the deadlines, the city can buy back the property.

David Reynolds told me at the CAC meeting in Jan that he expects to break ground before July 1st, and that the project is fully financed. All that remains is getting through the details of the H-St streetscape issue (minor) and city inspections. In other words, everything is moving forward on schedule. :)

I just wanted to state how happy and appreciative I am to the Reynolds group for there belief in downtown Raleigh. For what they have done,(Quorum bldg), and for this new and very striking building. And who knows this block may not be there last for downtown Raleigh? Maybe one day a signature building? Any way, thank you!!! :yahoo:

Archived