Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Whever I visit Stony Point, it feels more vacant than Regency. Then again, I often go during the middle of the workday.

I too have noticed this. I don't get there much being away at school, but the five or six times I've been there since last summer its been deserted. I went there two weeks ago with my mother on a weekday afternoon and the only store where we were not the only shoppers was Dillard's.

I have relatives in real estate who have heard several rumors about tenants leaving Stony Point when their leases are up. Exactly which ones and whether or not there is any truth to this I don't know.

I have relatives in real estate who have heard several rumors about tenants leaving Stony Point when their leases are up. Exactly which ones and whether or not there is any truth to this I don't know.
it's possible. I really hope not though. Richmond should be a strong enough market that two upmarket malls can exist.

Does anyone know the status of the proposed Bass Pro Shop complex that is supposedly going up off I-95 between Richmond and Ashland at Lewistown Road exit?

Last I heard, it was still a "go", but I'm not sure if it has broken ground yet. If not, it's supposed to happen soon.

Mall to replace cinema with bookstore

So Regal Cinemas will be closing their 9-screen location at Chesterfield Towne Center and opening a new 16-18 screen location at Westchester Commons (Watkins Centre) next year. However, IMO,it's almost a blessing for CTC as Barnes and Noble will move across the street to a new spot where the theater currently sits...

A Barnes & Noble bookstore will replace the United Artists movie theater at Chesterfield Towne Center early next year.

The movie theater will close in May. The building, which adjoins the mall by an entrance at the food court, will be demolished so that construction can begin on the bookstore at the same site, mall officials said yesterday.

The bookstore will be about the same size as the theater, at almost 33,000 square feet....

C. Lee Warfield III, senior vice president at Thalhimer/Cushman & Wakefield brokerage in Richmond, said Regal Cinemas is in negotiations to put a 16- to 18-screen movie complex at Westchester Commons, the planned retail development at state Route 288 and Midlothian Turnpike that is part of the Watkins tract. Plans call for the theater complex to open in late 2008.

Siebenaler described the change as part of an ongoing effort to redevelop and reinvent Chesterfield Towne Center, which opened in 1975. The 140-store mall is owned by The Macerich Co., a California-based real estate investment trust. It is the Richmond area's second-largest mall by sales, behind Short Pump Town Center in Henrico County.

So Regal Cinemas will be closing their 9-screen location at Chesterfield Towne Center and opening a new 16-18 screen location at Westchester Commons (Watkins Centre) next year.

And the big box shuffle begins . . . although I agree with Coupe, this might actually be a welcome change. I wonder if this means that Barnes and Noble will not be building a store at the Watkins Centre? I think this story actually provides some hope that the retail changes along the Midlothian Turnpike corrider caused by the Watkins Centre might be positive for the area. Even if stores leave the Chesterfield Towne center area to locate further west, the changes will hopefully be different from the void that was created further east when stores abandoned the Cloverleaf area. Since the CTC area will still be very viable, maybe this "shuffle" will allow the CTC area to re-invent and re-develop itself in ways that will actually improve the area.

I'm going to disagree with that, for now. Clearly, Barnes and Noble would not make a serious investment at CTC if it seemed to be just another Cloverleaf. If they did feel that way, they would've stayed where they are or moved west.

Macerich is apparently working on redeveloping the mall... including the small Dillard's Men's location that closed a couple years ago.

Chesterfield Towne Center, the next Cloverleaf.

What is the obsession in this metro with going farther and farther out? For common runs, it's a day trip within the region.

Manifest Destiny applied locally. "Go West, young man."

It's hardly restricted to this metro.

News reports say that Chesterfield Town Center is second only to SPTC in sales. It's not like the area will be deprived of movie theaters since Carmack's 10 is just up the road. The cinemas at CTC are considered outdated in the movie industry.

I fail to understand why White Oak will not get a multiplex. There are absolutely NO movie houses in that barren area.

CTC/Barnes & Noble Press Release

Rendering (sorry it's small)

barnesresized.jpg

....a new 32,982-square-foot, state-of-the-art Barnes & Noble at Chesterfield Towne Center will feature stone columns with windowed towers. To create a pedestrian synergy with the enclosed shopping center, the store will be accessible from the street and through the Food Court. The new store is expected to open in early 2008. .....

News reports say that Chesterfield Town Center is second only to SPTC in sales. It's not like the area will be deprived of movie theaters since Carmack's 10 is just up the road. The cinemas at CTC are considered outdated in the movie industry.

I fail to understand why White Oak will not get a multiplex. There are absolutely NO movie houses in that barren area.

I think you just answered your own question. It might not seem possible, but theaters have trouble making money. That is the word I got from a guy who works in independent films.

It's only "barren" because the developers and Henrico basically turn their backs on it. There's more than enough people and I am sure they'd love to have a theater close to them than having to go clear across town. Don't just save the ultra rich their gas money; that money could be better spent... hmmm... maybe watching a movie.

It's only "barren" because the developers and Henrico basically turn their backs on it. There's more than enough people and I am sure they'd love to have a theater close to them than having to go clear across town. Don't just save the ultra rich their gas money; that money could be better spent... hmmm... maybe watching a movie.

Cam you should contact (1) Henrico and ask them about this and (2) contact Regal Cinemas and others to inquire about the neglect and also ask about their formula for selecting sites. I've also heard that the movie theater companies have struggled to maintain profitability... though you coulda fooled me given the ticket prices.

I for one would be curious to hear their responses...

Correct... Steven, given your retail insights, I wish you were privy to any potential redevelopment plans Macerich may have for CTC....
I don't know anything in particular about the future of CTC, but with the Dillard's men's store still unfilled, I'd imagine they're getting ready to do a streetscape project along Midlothian that will give the mall that faux downtown look that's so in vogue right now, possibly with new restaurants. Edited by StevenRocks

Do you mean fronting Midlothian literally or facing it as part of the mall... Currently, at the corner of Mall Dr and Midlothian they are developing an outparcel (adjacent to Carraba's) which will include a Chipotle and other tenants. The Dillard's men's store was a tough sell probably, given its very small size (originally it was a Hess or Proffit's I think). I'd like to see it meet the wrecking ball and have them create something different to add an outdoor element to the complex.

I would say facing it as part of the mall. The old Dillard's probably won't be completely removed, but a subdivision for smaller stores isn't out of the question.

The Dillard's men's store was originally Hess's, then it was Proffitt's before it was Dillard's.

Edited by StevenRocks

Yeah if they demolsih the Dillards they could open maybe an outdoor Shopping Part of the Mall where you walk from the indoor part of the mall to the outdoor part of it I think that would be cool and possibly make it two levels with an escalator going up it. I don't know if there would be enough room for all that or not but just one level of outdoor shopping would be cool.

Cabela's is eyeing location for Superstore in Richmond area

Cabela's stores specialize in hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, and many are typically the size of Super Wal-Mart's. They are currently looking at the property which was offered for the Nascar Hall of Fame.

This is on top of the planned Bass Pro Shop in Hanover County and the Gander Mountain store, also opening soon in Hanover.

Cabela's is eyeing location for Superstore in Richmond area

Cabela's stores specialize in hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, and many are typically the size of Super Wal-Mart's. They are currently looking at the property which was offered for the Nascar Hall of Fame.

This is on top of the planned Bass Pro Shop in Hanover County and the Gander Mountain store, also opening soon in Hanover.

The site for Cabela's as well as Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain on the busy I-95 corridor near I-295 will pull a lot of tourists off the highways. Richmond may become renowned as a mid-Atlantic sports shoppers' center.

What say you, Steven Rocks?

Edited by burt