Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Greg Gilligan says in today's RTD that the Wal*Mart Supercenter on Parham Road in the far West End (near Regency Square) will open January 22nd.

It will be one of the chain's seven experimental stores offering a sushi bar and expanded wine and electronics departments. Customers will be allowed to buy coffee, soft drinks and newspapers on the honor system toward the front of the store.

Carryout service to customer's cars is being considered.

At 104,000 square feet, it is about half as large as most of the chain's superstores.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilligan also reports that Kroger is seriously considering a 73,000 to 103,000 s/f store in a place called Rutland Commons along US 301 near Atlee Road.

That's about half way to Hanover Court House, if my memory serves.

Edited by burt

Greg Gilligan says in today's RTD that the Wal*Mart Supercenter on Parham Road in the far West End (near Regency Square) will open January 22nd.

It will be one of the chain's seven experimental stores offering a sushi bar and expanded wine and electronics departments. Customers will be allowed to buy coffee, soft drinks and newspapers on the honor system toward the front of the store.

It's a brave individual who would consume sushi from Wal-Mart.

It's a brave individual who would consume sushi from Wal-Mart.

I bet the sushi in Wal-Mart would be okay because just imagine the media hoopla if even one person in America gets even the slightest bit sick. They would be extra careful to provide the best fish. Besides the meats and seafood at Wal-Mart now are higher quality than alot of other grocery stores.

I imagine the sushi from Wal-Mart will be just like it is from almost any grocery store: there's some local distributor that goes around to all of them, dropping off the same premade 10-packs of California rolls.

No matter where you go to buy it, it's often the same brand of fresh sushi.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a story by Greg Gilligan in tomorrow's Business Section about the new experimental Walmart on Parham Road.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...s=1045855934855

Hahahaha. I'm just hopeless. The Petersburg harbor Story must be stuck in my computer. Since I was successful in bringing it over to the Tri Cities thread, it keeps coming up whenever I think I'm transferring something else from the TD. :dontknow:

Go figure!! I swear after I posted the link last night the P'burg story popped up when I hit it. Now, it has corrected itself and Greg's Walmart piece is there.

Edited by burt

Go hungry.. after checking it out, you could pop into Regency Square to check out the new Texas de Brazil restaurant :thumbsup:

Have you been to Texas de Brazil. Coupe? If so, please answer in the Dining Out thread.

This Walmart is learning manners and business acumen by expanding their wine collection. :) They must have had spies working at dry Ukrops. :ph34r:

Although I still dislike Wal-mart, this is definitely a step in the right direction on several fronts. Smaller footprint ... good, smaller parking lot...good, more dignified uniforms... good, more wine...definitely good. Now if they went ahead with that sushi bar idea, and if wages went up just a smidge, and employees got health benefits....

Oh well, maybe one day.

Although I still dislike Wal-mart, this is definitely a step in the right direction on several fronts. Smaller footprint ... good, smaller parking lot...good, more dignified uniforms... good, more wine...definitely good. Now if they went ahead with that sushi bar idea, and if wages went up just a smidge, and employees got health benefits....

Oh well, maybe one day.

McLaw, remember that $49 cap on you know what. :lol: I suppose it also applies to the new store.

What exactly is an honor system anyway? Since it's in the front of the store they are hoping folks don't grab and go without paying? :blink:

It kind of baffles me too. Its not like this is some small Mom and pop in a small community where everyone knows each other. Maybe this is being funded by the psychology department at a major research university. It would be cool if solicitors were allowed to accept donations for an employee health care fund at the front of the store. That way, even if I didn't 'pay' for my 'honor system' coffee and snacks, I could feel honorable by paying the employees directly. Just something to make you go.. Hmm.. <_<

Speaking of Regency I drove past it today on the way home from the New Wal-Mart and I tell ya what I have never seen Regency so diserted in my life.

I went out that way as well this evening and Regency was indeed vacant. However, I went there two weekends ago and they do a decent business. Their store lineup is actually fairly decent....too bad they didn't just completely revamped it into an upscale mall instead of building stony point...

Steven, the two Macy's at Regency are considered the flagship stores of that chain in Metro Richmond.
I know, Burt :) . My brother actually used to work at Hecht's Regency Square back in the day and they did great business. But architecturally, they were a little lacking, partly becuase they were pretty hastily converted to the three-store format in the early '90s. I was hoping that Macy's recent remodeling modernized the stores a bit.

I know, Burt :) . My brother actually used to work at Hecht's Regency Square back in the day and they did great business. But architecturally, they were a little lacking, partly becuase they were pretty hastily converted to the three-store format in the early '90s. I was hoping that Macy's recent remodeling modernized the stores a bit.

Steven, I have been told that remodeling of the two Regency stores has been quite successful; i.e., widening of aisles, etc. But that's hearsay. Have you heard otherwise?

I walked through the store on the north side of the mall and it looked fine to me, but I'm certainly no authority.

Stony Point is far superior in quality, tenant mix and LOCATION (being inside the City) than Regency. I wish Regency well, but i would not have wanted an expansion of Regency instead of the construction of Stony Point.

I'm with you, DowntownDave. Stony Point's physical/topographic setting and its retail/restaurant selections make it the most attractive shopping destination in Metro Richmond, IMO.

I just wish it got more press.

Steven, I have been told that remodeling of the two Regency stores has been quite successful; i.e., widening of aisles, etc. But that's hearsay. Have you heard otherwise?

I walked through the store on the north side of the mall and it looked fine to me, but I'm certainly no authority.

I haven't heard anything about Macy's Regency Square at all. Most of my local contacts aren't shoopers, sadly. :(