Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Maybe.. Burt said Lewistown Rd which is the next exit from Atlee-Elmont. I thought the site would be off the original Sliding Hill Rd near the Home Depot. A lot of stuff is happening north of VCC.

We are talking of the same spot. They are applying the exterior log facing at the moment. Pretty easy to spot as I enter the highway at the end of my work days... when my camera comes back in august I will snap some shots unless someone beats me to it.

Does anyone know what's going on with the retail building beside AMICI'S in Carytown? It housed Ellman's (I think that's the name....it was a dancer's supply store) and the Halloween shop upstairs. Those businesses have been there forever, so it's hard to believe that they're just gone.

Last night when I walked by, the building looked empty and there were workers redoing the front with some kind of funky paint job.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...07-26-0117.html

The above info about groundbreaking at White Oak Life Style Center on Laburnum Road in eastern Metro is from Greg Gilligan in today's Times Dispatch, and though the info is also posted in Suburban Development thread, I'm repeating it here among Retail topics.

Edited by burt

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...07-26-0117.html

The above info about groundbreaking at White Oak Life Style Center on Laburnum Road in eastern Metro is from Greg Gilligan in today's Times Dispatch, and though the info is also posted in Suburban Development thread, I'm repeating it here among Retail topics.

has anyone seen one of these layouts recently? maybe a link?

not recently... but from day 1 I've scratched my head as to why they keep calling this thing a mall. What mall has a Lowe's, Target, Ukrop's, PetSmart, and Sam's Club as lead tenants? NONE because this thing isn't a mall... The local news stations always call this thing a mall...

not recently... but from day 1 I've scratched my head as to why they keep calling this thing a mall. What mall has a Lowe's, Target, Ukrop's, PetSmart, and Sam's Club as lead tenants? NONE because this thing isn't a mall... The local news stations always call this thing a mall...

I'm still scratching my head about why no cinema megaplex is planned when the nearest movie theater is about 10 miles away.

So far, the retail mix sounds not unlike Westchester Commons.

This pdf includes a site plan

http://www.theshopsatwhiteoakvillage.com/i.../E_brochure.pdf

It also mentions that Stony Point Fashion Park has sales per square foot in the mid $300's range. Total square footage at Stony Point is 662,000 sf. Is that a good sales per square foot range?

Terrific pdf, Coupe. I think per square foot sales ranging in the mid $300's is considered acceptable, maybe above normal in merchandising. Regency Square in the $200's may be troubling. Odd we don't see Short Pump TC where sales may be above $400 psf on any of the charts.

What'a the word, StevenRocks?

White Oak is a pretty ordinary looking shopping mall -- about on a par with what we have seen of Crosland's plans for Cloverleaf IMO. A considerable number of the proposed 17,000 new housing unit residents (Wilton, Tree Hill) may find shopping options less than appealing.

Edited by burt

Everyone can use a Target! I can definitely use a Circuit City! And I LOVE me some Ukrop's... although I wonder who'd fill the space they're leaving? Not everyone is going to be or need "upscale" shopping. Besides Wilton and Tree Hill will basically be their own towns with their own retail centers. BUT! There's always that mall I designed in 1995 for Varina off route 5 near 295.

But I still think, to balance Henrico, Savage Station and Elko need to be developed like the other side of the county.

This pdf includes a site plan

http://www.theshopsatwhiteoakvillage.com/i.../E_brochure.pdf

It also mentions that Stony Point Fashion Park has sales per square foot in the mid $300's range. Total square footage at Stony Point is 662,000 sf. Is that a good sales per square foot range?

If this is any help, the national average is around $300 per square foot. Mid $300s are usually considered fine.

Terrific pdf, Coupe. I think per square foot sales ranging in the mid $300's is considered acceptable, maybe above normal in merchandising. Regency Square in the $200's may be troubling. Odd we don't see Short Pump TC where sales may be above $400 psf on any of the charts.

What'a the word, StevenRocks?

A few years ago, sales in the $250/psf range were pretty typical for a healthy mall, now it's closer to $300-350/psf. Regency is doing okay for its market position as an "average-esque" mall, though those numbers are definaely lower than thay used to be.

In May Barnes and Noble will open a 36,000 s/f store at Chesterfield Town Center. It will be in the space formerly occupied by the United Artists cinema multiplex.

This info courtesy of Greg Gilligan's column in todays TD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the movie closure was announced several months ago, weren't we told that a new nearby cinema complex would replace it? And I'm not talking about the Regal megaplex planned for Westchester Commons but at a different site closer to Chesterfield TC.

Don't forget Burt there was another story in there about the Westbury Shopping Center next to Douglas Freeman. It mentioned there would be a Starbucks where part of Mio's Pizzaria was. But Mio's will still be in the shopping center I hear. Some other national chains were looking to sign on too. But the shopping center was built in the 1940's and it definitly needs a renovation. Douglas Freeman High School is also getting a massive renovation this year too.

Don't forget Burt there was another story in there about the Westbury Shopping Center next to Douglas Freeman. It mentioned there would be a Starbucks where part of Mio's Pizzaria was. But Mio's will still be in the shopping center I hear.

Not according to the article.

The center's transformation means a change to one tenant: Mio's restaurant closed Friday.

The restaurant was there since February 1998. (Mio's took the space that Westbury Pharmacy had used until the pharmacy moved across the street into larger space.)

Mio's owners, Ben and John Beale, said their lease was expiring. "We are ready to move on," Ben Beale said.

The center's owner wanted to take back part of Mio's space - the area closest to the school where Mio's bar area had been.

The brothers said they needed that space to make it financially viable. "We didn't want to commit to a long-term lease," John Beale said.

Some upbeat news regarding Richmond's Saks Fifth Avenue store:

Saks CEO visits Richmond store

Q:How has the Richmond store performed?

A. This is a good store. We don't disclose the sales numbers, but the store has done well. I think it could be doing substantially more.

The sales growth in Richmond is far higher than the growth that we are seeing nationally. The growth that we are seeing right now [companywide] year-to-date is 14 percent [in same-store sales] growth.

I would tell you Richmond is doing far better.

I feel very good about what is going on in Richmond in terms of its resurgence.

The CEO talks about the company's changes as a whole as well as the Richmond location. Steven would probably enjoy the read!