Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new wishlist item: that this new project includes a bike/ped bridge over the track to ultimately connect Commonwealth to Hawthorne, one step closer to a badly needed safe bike connection from Uptown to P-M. 

This is my wish list for the site. 

post-17104-0-23542400-1382542377_thumb.j

Access to the shopping center. Now that there will be a healthy home economist there, it will be a destination for the apartments in the cluster accross the tracks. There is a decent amount of retail at Central Crossings so there needs that sq footage needs to be replaced. Not to mention there is a big enough cluster of apts over there to support neighborhood retail. Generally I wouldn't be okay with the garden apartment concept, but since there are two very permanent barriers to this site, I'd add 1 at grade crossing of the train tracks, and do two interior arteries with plenty of greenspace, on street parking, and podium parking in 1 or two of the buildings.

Edited by Guest

Maybe the Penguin isn't on the way out. The landlord will probably be awarded the brand.  They might find someone to turn it around.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/10/penguin-landlord-filed-trademark.html

Gee, had they not screwed up in 2010 when they pushed out the guys who made the place a hit, none of this would be going down right now.  They are getting what they deserve. 

• Like 3

re penguin: The other thought occurred to me that with Bad Grandpa coming out (The Penguin is featured in the trailer) the Landlord may have been hoping to use the free publicity of that movie to push out the chain plan I remember there was once talks about.

Re: new development

This is my wish list for the site. 

attachicon.gif Siteplan.jpg

Access to the shopping center. Now that there will be a healthy home economist there, it will be a destination for the apartments in the cluster accross the tracks. There is a decent amount of retail at Central Crossings so there needs that sq footage needs to be replaced. Not to mention there is a big enough cluster of apts over there to support neighborhood retail. Generally I wouldn't be okay with the garden apartment concept, but since there are two very permanent barriers to this site, I'd add 1 at grade crossing of the train tracks, and do two interior arteries with plenty of greenspace, on street parking, and podium parking in 1 or two of the buildings.

post-24262-0-50074500-1382617234_thumb.j

Edited by Urbanity

Andy Jackson from FuManChu Cup Cakes says they will be opening in Mid November, and has pictures up on their facebook page. A source from Harkey Tile, who has property right in the middle of that 7.2 acres says there is no deal as of right now. The owner of the property along independence has been trying to sell for some time now.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have opening dates for Central Pint and Pizza Peel?  I am pretty excited to be adding these two spots to the hood.

Not sure about Pizza Peel (although they look very close to opening as they have the new pizza ovens, landscaping, boothes, etc in), but Central Pint is opening on 12/21/13

Edited by plaza-midwood-er

Pizza Peel is set to open "mid to late December" according to a Facebook post. And now that the Heathy Home Market's lease on South Blvd won't be renewed long-term, the Midwood spot should get a lot of action. 

Wish that Healthy Home Market was going to be much larger than what is planned. I liked the South End store, but the small HHM I went to on Independence left a lot to be desired.

• 2 weeks later...

CBJ update on Northwood Ravin's Morningside: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/northwood-ravin-changes-course-with.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&page=all

“We thought the top end of the market here in Charlotte was getting very heavy,” Ravin says. “The urban dweller is definitely going to be satisfied, but what about the ones that are needing a little bit more space and price sensitivity? We think there’s a market that’s not being met for the folks that don’t want to live in the high-density stuff. They want a little more suburban. It’s definitely not a product that’s being developed around here.”

Fuuuu.  This land could have been a decent urban neighborhood unto itself.   This plan means continuing the bad crap closer into town rather than the good out.    Very disappointing, and will certainly prevent this area from seeming part of the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood.

Likely profits from the Vue have gone to this, right?

I don't think this will be as suburban as you guys are imagining.  It will be like historic section of 4th ward scale development, so it can still be urban without being 5 stories and parking decks...honestly, this is in the middle of a single family neighorhood, so I think lower density is more appropriate.

Now it could certainly turn out to be horrible, but 2-3 stories with surface parking does not equal "un-urban", its all in the execution.

I agree with atlrvr.   The article mentions the project will be predominately townhomes and carriage homes.   In my mind, I image the townhomes facing the existing grid with surface parking and individual garages in the back.   Probably above the garages will be separate carriage homes that will use the surface parking for their parking.  Of course I am probably being overly optimistic.