Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was when people in this town could make things happen. Doubtful of anything like that happening now.

Edited by MothBeast

44 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Can't they be relocated?  Weren't the old Victorians in 4th Ward relocated there from this part of town?

Some homes moved from downtown to other neighborhoods.

An historic home on The Plaza was from downtown Charlotte:

http://landmarkscommission.org/2016/10/24/victoria/

Another grand home from downtown went to Queens Road:

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/the-mcmanaway-house/

This was the home  of the McManaway family and the well known Hugh McManaway, about whom much information is available online. 

Both these grand homes survived the expansion of Charlotte in the early 20th century, about 100 years ago.

I should remember homes moved to 4th Ward from other neighborhoods but I cannot recall one or more from Plaza area. More work required than this lazy afternoon holds for me.

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else ever wondered how many homes and businesses could be added here if the Ary Reserve site was moved elsewhere? The base is right in the middle of a thriving neighborhood alongside a nice park, adding a dense walkable development would really help to knit the neighborhood together and provide more housing. Doubt the Army Reserve Base would ever move, especially since they've spent that past year upgrading the site. 

image.thumb.png.cdd1309d6a10ff4c3cccd8917f99852e.png

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

Has anyone else ever wondered how many homes and businesses could be added here if the Ary Reserve site was moved elsewhere? The base is right in the middle of a thriving neighborhood alongside a nice park, adding a dense walkable development would really help to knit the neighborhood together and provide more housing. Doubt the Army Reserve Base would ever move, especially since they've spent that past year upgrading the site. 

image.thumb.png.cdd1309d6a10ff4c3cccd8917f99852e.png

Or expand the park! We need a freedom park type destination over here

• Like 1

City Council approved   Daniel Levine's apartment building on Commonwealth.  He slashed the height to 126 feet from 150 feet due to complaints.  My thoughts is that a parcel that backs up to 6 lane expressway US 74 and this parcel at the Plaza and Commonwealth is the start of the main business district of PM area.  With the instense development going on at the new Commonwealth mixed use project 3 blocks away  I dont think this is too tall for the area especially since it is backing up Independence.   It would rise next to Julien apartment building he developed which is 4 stories.  I am assuming with the less height and floors there will be less apartments too.  I think 175 were planned at the taller version.  

this was approved tonight.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

City Council approved   Daniel Levine's apartment building on Commonwealth.  He slashed the height to 126 feet from 150 feet due to complaints.  My thoughts is that a parcel that backs up to 6 lane expressway US 74 and this parcel at the Plaza and Commonwealth is the start of the main business district of PM area.  With the instense development going on at the new Commonwealth mixed use project 3 blocks away  I dont think this is too tall for the area especially since it is backing up Independence.   It would rise next to Julien apartment building he developed which is 4 stories.  I am assuming with the less height and floors there will be less apartments too.  I think 175 were planned at the taller version.  

this was approved tonight.  

Agreed. I do have concerns that the board had no objections to a drive-through being permitted on-site. Levine sold this as a pedestrian-focused development, which is not possible with a drive-through. Commonwealth has increasingly become unsafe for pedestrians because of the increase in traffic, mixing with lots of curb cuts and parking along property frontages. Cars will always be present but I have always thought that a public garage on the outskirts of the business district would help reduce these problems. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

I have always thought that a public garage on the outskirts of the business district would help reduce these problems. 

Agreed…the city owns the parcel at Central & Thomas…could be an easy sale with conditions.

IMG_1557.jpeg

Edited by rumphy
Typo

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

as this is a drive through for a very small specific credit union the Firefighters I doubt there will be too much traffic generated by it.  I think this will be developed as approved.  

I mean high use or not. It still will need to fit a drive-thru which greatly impacts the design of the site especially given the small footprint.  Seems like a wasted opportunity for a low-traffic use. 

Follow up article on the various postings on the new residential development approved for the Plaza-Midwood area.

ttps://www.wcnc.com/article/money/markets/real-estate/plaza-midwood-development-approved-charlotte/275-6f78b70b-9315-4d9e-bdca-88ded274c502

• Like 1

• 1 month later...