Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, Mr. Hatcher actually turned down Harris Teeter to redevelop the Family Dollar strip mall.  Oh, and his last great idea for the church on the corner was to sell it all for a Quik Trip!  Thankfully, the PED district requirements scared away that idea.

Thank god for both of these not happening. QT for obvious reasons, but we wouldn't have that awesome new Teeter if he did allow them to redevelop, and the center would probably look similar to what it does now, just with a larger anchor box for Teeter, making it even less likely to be redeveloped in the near-term (if that's possible). 

I can't believe that he has that little understanding of the potential for his land that he thinks a fecking gas station is the way to go.  This spot is really a no brainer for another Metro 808-type project with the skyline view, streetcar corridor, walkability to the heart of Midwood.  

The Observer has a remarkably detailed article on Beaver Gate:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/14/4106608/charlottes-thirsty-beaver-gets.html

They suggest that the Beaver's owner rented parking from Hatcher until last month when the lease agreement was not renewed.

I also wanted to preserve the headline, I am glad to see someone at the Observer who has a sense of humor

"Charlotte’s Thirsty Beaver gets boxed in"
Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

The CBJ announcement on the Central and Clement project is here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/06/faison-sereo-planning-apartment.html

200 units, four stories of units above two levels of parking (gezzus, every new project really does look the same as the last)

Room will be saved for phase two which would double the number of units. 

If they are going to create any TIFs for the streetcar they had better do it _soon_

There went Fern.   That will be a major change in appearance here.    It is great for Plaza-Midwood that it can drive dense development on a freight railroad.  Hopefully they do it of proper quality to avoid vibration issues for the residents.

It also becomes pretty clear why Mr Hatcher is trying to move now on his parcels, as the same developer may be interest in developing both sides of the tracks.  It would be really great if they bridge over the tracks too.

I have always secretly hoped the city would go ahead and raise Central over the CSX tracks, which is doable because of the grade change east of the tracks.   This project being podium would actually be compatible with that, as it would simply put the podium deck below grade, as long as they keep the driveway entrance on Clement.   I am sure the city has completely omitted this whole need from its plans, so instead we will probably lose the opportunity.

The CBJ announcement on the Central and Clement project is here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/06/faison-sereo-planning-apartment.html

200 units, four stories of units above two levels of parking (gezzus, every new project really does look the same as the last)

Room will be saved for phase two which would double the number of units. 

If they are going to create any TIFs for the streetcar they had better do it _soon_

Says 0 about retail, but we all know that it's required on Central Avenue. Does anyone think they've found a way around it?

"The firms’ early plans also call for some retail space along Central Avenue."

I don't know if that is a coy way of saying they have removed that since the 'early plans', but the article does mention it.  

I guess I am terrible at reading...

There went Fern.   That will be a major change in appearance here.    It is great for Plaza-Midwood that it can drive dense development on a freight railroad.  Hopefully they do it of proper quality to avoid vibration issues for the residents.

It also becomes pretty clear why Mr Hatcher is trying to move now on his parcels, as the same developer may be interest in developing both sides of the tracks.  It would be really great if they bridge over the tracks too.

I have always secretly hoped the city would go ahead and raise Central over the CSX tracks, which is doable because of the grade change east of the tracks.   This project being podium would actually be compatible with that, as it would simply put the podium deck below grade, as long as they keep the driveway entrance on Clement.   I am sure the city has completely omitted this whole need from its plans, so instead we will probably lose the opportunity.

It's a far cry from bridging over the tracks, but I was on our intermodal run back to Charlotte from Florence today and noticed that the crossing at Central is out right now, crews were out replacing the road surface and the street was totally closed.

I am out of town. Any updates on Beavergate?

Portions of the fence were removed yesterday.

Read all about it along with some before/after shots here

According to the artlicle: 'the section of the fence nearest the road was removed because of a city code violation.'

Also, 'a portion of the fence in front of the rear exit was removed, and a gate is currently in the installation process'

@TotalLamer - The road is closed through Friday to repair/improve the crossing.  It is not tied to any nearby development or improvements.

Regarding Pinky's PM location, I just heard that their second location is going to be up near Lake Norman, not PM.

Any more info on the brewery allegedly coming to PM...I'm thirsty.

https://www.facebook.com/NookApartments?fref=ts

The Nook now has a facebook page, and it has updated photography. Glad to see that the Nook decided to brick up the entire front, I was worrying about it looking cheap, but it looks pretty decent, and I'm sure it'll look even better as more details are added to the fascade. 

425324_201699533287296_595270910_n.jpg

Edited by Guest

Plaza Midwood has such a denser feel to it now with addition of Nook, the new giant Teeter and the Edison. I'm really excited about the direction it's going in. Plus, Central was BUSY with shoppers on Saturday which was super cool.

Can't wait to see it myself. I also cannot wait for the 500+ (full buildout) apartments being added around the intersection of Central and Clement. 

was on the peculiar rabbit roof on Friday night and we had a chat about how much denser Plaza Midwood (and other hoods) seemed. You know, with the exception of the Family Dollar strip mall. *cough*

I would so love to see an apartment building with street level retail and public parking get built in that parking lot. That + a renovation of the exterior of the shopping mall would completely transform the area.