Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/1/2020 at 12:00 PM, Carolina Ron said:

The owner is John Springsteed, who has attempted to buy up the entire block bordered by Central, Hawthorne, Sunnyside and Oakland.  To complicate things, there are multiple zonings within the block, and a few homeowners, myself included,  are not interested in selling.  I know he just signed a rental lease on one of the bungalows that he owns on the block, so nothing will happen any time really soon if that's any indication.

I'm no NIMBY, but in the name of a well-articulated, intricate urban fabric, please hold onto your land until whatever happens there happens (or restrict a future buyer from selling, i dunno) <3  :wub:

31 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Right now it is just an abandoned pool supply building and a handful of single family homes abutting the last stop on the soon to be completed streetcar.  What there is necessary to preserve for a "well-articulated, intricate urban fabric".  

I understand people want to preserve a number of single family homes, but at the corner of Central and Hawthorne at the last stop of the streetcar?  That feels like a place where we should definitely be pushing to have some denser housing options.  Townhomes on Sunnyside with apartments on Central feels like a much better use of the space.

Perhaps a narrow high-rise tower can be built on this person's land AFTER the pool supply land and neighboring homes are turned into a mega-block 5-story apartment building. I'm thinking long game!

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I thought the conversion of Thomas St (in front of Dish) transitioning into outdoor dining fizzled out.    PMNA's Facebook page just posted that the picnic tables are being placed and it should open this weekend through the end of November (for now).   Glad this is still happening.   

I walked through the area last night and noticed a lot of the picnic tables stacked around the green building across from Thomas Street Tavern.  Would anyone know if that company actually built the tables for the project?

13 hours ago, hokiehigh said:

I thought the conversion of Thomas St (in front of Dish) transitioning into outdoor dining fizzled out.    PMNA's Facebook page just posted that the picnic tables are being placed and it should open this weekend through the end of November (for now).   Glad this is still happening.   

I walked through the area last night and noticed a lot of the picnic tables stacked around the green building across from Thomas Street Tavern.  Would anyone know if that company actually built the tables for the project?

I believe this is being put on by the PMWNA, and anyone can use the tables as they aren't associated with any restaurant in particular. You can bring food and beer there and some restaurants like Thomas street will bring out food to you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, archiham04 said:

"Stroll and Roll" was the main driver for this, but PMMA, PMNA and the local businesses got a grant from the city to pull it off.  The original plan schedule was put on the back burner for a month or so as not to get out ahead of the State's reopening schedule.  Whistle Pig (green building) did not build the tables (Lowe's built them) but provided a delivery pad.  Whistle Pig and a group of neighbors (architects, landscape architects, and business owners) designed  and constructed the barriers and amenities.  We are looking into the possibility of shutting down the street for a weekend in the fall to create more buzz and  bring out more customers.

Such a great idea, I'd love for it to become a regular thing.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 10:13 AM, archiham04 said:

"Stroll and Roll" was the main driver for this, but PMMA, PMNA and the local businesses got a grant from the city to pull it off.  The original plan schedule was put on the back burner for a month or so as not to get out ahead of the State's reopening schedule.  Whistle Pig (green building) did not build the tables (Lowe's built them) but provided a delivery pad.  Whistle Pig and a group of neighbors (architects, landscape architects, and business owners) designed  and constructed the barriers and amenities.  We are looking into the possibility of shutting down the street for a weekend in the fall to create more buzz and  bring out more customers.

That's great!   We tried it out last Friday and there were some people already using it.   I heard Thomas Street Tavern may reopen soon which could help fill the seats.   Great idea though!   

Wait. What?!? I moved out of the central area in June and haven’t been through much lately, but I had no idea. I actually liked buffalo, cheesy t-shirts of course, but I found several groovy pairs of boots.

I feel like all these vape and cbd shops are all about secretly waiting for ganja to legalize to become official dispensaries.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 9:16 PM, wadesboro2 said:

Signage up today for this project and it’s not townhomes, but a boutique office building called 1800 Central. Pretty cool to see a spec office building in PM. Anyone know anything about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Branch is developing (I think).  In the past he has been interested in renting small vanilla box units to multiple tenants... not a keyman or coworking space, but kind of an in-between that and a full large footprint office lease.  Don't know for sure that is what he is doing, but I would suspect.... unless he gets a couple big tenants.

• 2 weeks later...

Rita’s announced they will be closing the P-M location effective today. Personally I am bummed as it was so nice to still be able to get a regular frozen treat with the kids in the heart of the neighborhood. Is this part of the new owner raising rents snd pushing out existing tenants or just natural retail changes? In the post the owners say they don’t know if they will reopen elsewhere in 2021 but they do plan to open the Mallard Creek location like normal in February. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sakami said:

Rita’s announced they will be closing the P-M location effective today. Personally I am bummed as it was so nice to still be able to get a regular frozen treat with the kids in the heart of the neighborhood. Is this part of the new owner raising rents snd pushing out existing tenants or just natural retail changes? In the post the owners say they don’t know if they will reopen elsewhere in 2021 but they do plan to open the Mallard Creek location like normal in February. 

They actually announced it a few weeks ago. I have heard the LL is trying to push tenants out to sell the property.