Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some folks commented a while back on what they would like to see developed there. Any additional thoughts?

I would like a Thai Restaurant please!!! Thai Cuisine closed 2 years ago, King and I was reborn as Thai Thai on East Blvd, I drove by Thai House on Sharon Amity the other day and it was closed. So that leaves no Thai on the East side as far as I know.

I would like a Thai Restaurant please!!! Thai Cuisine closed 2 years ago, King and I was reborn as Thai Thai on East Blvd, I drove by Thai House on Sharon Amity the other day and it was closed. So that leaves no Thai on the East side as far as I know.

Have you tried "Creation," on The Plaza, just up from the fire station and across from Harris-Teeter? It's not strictly Thai, but that's the predominant style. It's very good and it's very reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...

Central27 is a cool project but they made it too tall. I think it overshadows the library which I have always thought was a cool little building, now the little library that could is pretty much consumed by 27's looming presence :(

That's the blessing and the curse of being a pioneer in the neighborhood- the city is looking for all new development along Central to be of that scale, but as the first building to follow the new zoning, it looks too big.

i like central27 pretty well, but, one thing leaves me scratching my head.... there are hardly any windows facing uptown. this does not make a lick of sense, seeing that the view from that side would have been great.

As is the case with most urban infill projects, the client (and the city) want to max out the site; assuming the side walls are on the property lines, the building code prohibits openings/windows, as they would be a fire hazard.

Funny, I am in PlazaMidwood on a daily basis and I was just thinking to myself today how annoyingly out of place Central27 looks as I drove by. I still think it's a cool building but the thing just looks Ginourmous compared to everything else on the block. In the future if other tall buildings appear I guess it will blend. Now it just looks odd.

Funny, I am in PlazaMidwood on a daily basis and I was just thinking to myself today how annoyingly out of place Central27 looks as I drove by. I still think it's a cool building but the thing just looks Ginourmous compared to everything else on the block. In the future if other tall buildings appear I guess it will blend. Now it just looks odd.

Has work on Central27 slowed/stalled? I don't drive by it all that often, but there doesn't appear to have been much progress lately.

It's normal for buildings to look like nothing is happening, after the walls and roof are built. Remember how long Courtside took.

I don't think Central27 overpowers the street. It has a slightly "military housing" look to it, though. Good thing they painted it yellow to brighten it up.

I don't think Central27 overpowers the street. It has a slightly "military housing" look to it, though. Good thing they painted it yellow to brighten it up.

I don't mind the design or street presence. It is a bit out of place now, but I don't think that will be for long. The design reminds me of the 60's and 70's office buildings on and around Elizabeth Ave.

What bugs me about the place is the lack of windows on the east and west sides. In addition I just realized this project does not have any street level retail. What a missed opportunity!!!

Wow....that's great stuff...thanks. I'd love to see the Seattle building should you come across it. What an amazing city.

I have not gone through the "Would You Pay More for Green" thread, but I need to do that. Thought about going with extremely small (400-500 sf) one bedrooms LEED certified starting at about $119,000. 2 Bedrooms 800-850 SF at 219,000 or so.

Don't think I can make rental work (what are our buyers getting in rent at The Rutzler???....I have no data on that myself....sounds like I'll be surprised) and given that Central 27 is doing about 265 SF.....apparently folks are willing to pay to be in this unique and highly walkable area. Building green is still quite expensive and we would need to get top revenues per SF to make it work, but the Thomas Avenue area seems to scream GREEN to me.

Conformity - It took a while of searching to find a photo of the building in Seattle that I was trying to describe as a possible model for the AutoWerks site, but I finally ran across one, though not online. It was the building photographed for the cover of ULI's book "Dollar & Cents of Multifamily Housing: 2005". I don't know if you have this book laying around, but unfortunately I couldn't find a picture of the books cover online anywhere.

You know what building I find fascinating that reminds me of the vibe in PlazaMidwood? --the Hundertwasser Haus in Vienna.

http://www.kunsthauswien.com/english/hwh.htm

http://www.outbackphoto.com/places/2000/20...dertwasser.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasserhaus

I can't wait to go see it in person in March! I love that it has a living roof, too.

I'd love to see a pic of the Seattle building mentioned above.

Conformity - It took a while of searching to find a photo of the building in Seattle that I was trying to describe as a possible model for the AutoWerks site, but I finally ran across one, though not online. It was the building photographed for the cover of ULI's book "Dollar & Cents of Multifamily Housing: 2005". I don't know if you have this book laying around, but unfortunately I couldn't find a picture of the books cover online anywhere.

I don't have it, but I will find it next time I am near a ULI Bookstore event or if I have a chance to order it through the online bookstore. It's not "Site 17" is it? Does that ring a bell? It got a lot of press and is also featured in "Density by Design". Thanks for looking for it. I appreciate it and will track it down.

Edited by Conformity