Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I met a guy today who is putting a restaurant in above Lotus in the old Perch location. I was at Starbucks on Pecan talking with my friend about Las Ramblas, and we started chatting with him. He told me he and a couple of other guys were creating Soul (I think that's right...) - a tapas restaurant with a patio on top of Lotus. He hoped it would be done by June.

I don't know about you, but I'm excited. I love that Midwood is attracting independent restaurants that will require me to leave my children at home.

Does anyone know any other information? This gentleman was really nice. I'm looking forward to enjoying a drink on the patio.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think business like this will be good for for that area, I wish it was a little more adventuresome than tapas. There are already several tapas bars in and around downtown. On the name, if it is truly Spanish it is probably Sol, which is pronounced like soul but means South in Spanish. I am not too keen on the name choice as well, simply because down the street on East Blvd. there is a Spanish restaurant that also serves tapas called Sole.

Edited by queensguy06

Yeah, I love Sole - the name of this place is definitely not Sol, because I remember thinking about the East Blvd Spanish restaruant, Sole. I asked him specifically if it would have a Spanish bend, and he said it was pretty all encompassing, with food from all over the world. If I remember correctly, it's definitely not Sol. I think I'm right, and it's Soul.

I'm just excited that another "grown up" restaurant is coming to the hood. With Lulu's and now this place, it just presents more neighborhood options for my husband and I to go without the kiddies. I love Dish and Fuel (can't do the Penguin anymore... just too smoky), and I'm just excited that the options are expanding.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I met a guy today who is putting a restaurant in above Lotus in the old Perch location. I was at Starbucks on Pecan talking with my friend about Las Ramblas, and we started chatting with him. He told me he and a couple of other guys were creating Soul (I think that's right...) - a tapas restaurant with a patio on top of Lotus. He hoped it would be done by June.

I don't know about you, but I'm excited. I love that Midwood is attracting independent restaurants that will require me to leave my children at home.

Does anyone know any other information? This gentleman was really nice. I'm looking forward to enjoying a drink on the patio.

1st Time UP Poster...Long Time Listener

Was the gentleman older with gray hair and beard? If so, I spoke with him about 3 years ago when the Perch moved. He said back then that he was putting up a restaurant in a couple months but years passed and nothing happened.

Edited by turtlesurfer

Hi turtlesufer...

Nope. This guy was young (he looked to be around my age, and I refuse to think I'm anything other than young at 33) and dressed like I total hipster. Yes, I'm making judgements based on clothing and hairstyles, but at least they are good judgements. ;) Hopefully we'll see some action in the location soon.

I heard about that other group as well - they were going to put a restaurant in that location several years ago, but I think they ran into too many issues upgrading the spot.

I asked the new guy how he was going to get around the ADA laws, etc (was he having to put in an elevator, etc). He said that since the building was so old, they could be "grandfathered" in (like the Pewter Rose building). We didn't have too much time to get much more in depth.

If I see him again at the coffee shop I'll grill him for more information.

Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Pecan and Hamorton? The Nichols "for sale" signs are gone and I was wondering if anyone has heard anything.Would love to see the black tarp on the red clay gone and see the white house that leans to the side out of there too.

Edited by turtlesurfer

Thanks for the info! So that makes 4 new venues in PM. As a resident of PM, this is all good news to me. I am equally excited that these are private establishments, not chains! I am assuming these projects will be up and running fairly soon. Hopefully by the end of the summer, we will see a much larger crowd walking around Thomas Ave. on the weekends! :alc: <---This smiley is my favorite.

Hey CLTNative, I know I'm being lazy and I should read through all 20+ pages of this thread to find out, but can you tell me the 4 venues you are talking about. I see the piano bar and the Soul place, but what are the other two?

I have a particular interest because I am hoping to move there very soon... put an offer in on a house today, so wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Oh, and has anyone heard rumors of plans for any kind of coffee joint around there? I have not seen one or heard of one in that area. Sure wish somebody would open a cool neighborhood coffee hang out!!

Good luck on the house! Welcome to the hood!

The venues are:

1. Jackalope Jacks relocation from 7th street to the former Steeple/Spot location

2. Petra's Piano Bar in former Fire & Ice Location

3. Zada Jane's Corner Cafe beside Central27 condo building (Thomas St. owner)

4. Sol - Tapas to be located above Lotus

Very exciting!! :yahoo:

Everyone- please correct me if I got any of this wrong.

Edited by CLTNative

Good luck on the house! Welcome to the hood!

The venues are:

1. Jackalope Jacks relocation from 7th street to the former Steeple/Spot location

2. Petra's Piano Bar in former Fire & Ice Location

3. Zada Jane's Corner Cafe beside Central27 condo building (Thomas St. owner)

4. Sol - Tapas to be located above Lotus

Very exciting!! :yahoo:

Everyone- please correct me if I got any of this wrong.

Actually the Piano Bar is going on Commonwealth next to Penguin. The former fire and ice building I heard, was going to be a indy rock/ alternative /music venue hip lounge sort of thing.Which would be nice to have something other than jam music around here.

Hey CLTNative, I know I'm being lazy and I should read through all 20+ pages of this thread to find out, but can you tell me the 4 venues you are talking about. I see the piano bar and the Soul place, but what are the other two?

I have a particular interest because I am hoping to move there very soon... put an offer in on a house today, so wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Oh, and has anyone heard rumors of plans for any kind of coffee joint around there? I have not seen one or heard of one in that area. Sure wish somebody would open a cool neighborhood coffee hang out!!

Nova's next to Fuel Pizza offers coffe and a few couches/chairs to hang. It woulfd be sweet if there was a more hip coffe house.Smelly Cat, want to expand to the P.M.?

Edited by turtlesurfer

Actually the Piano Bar is going on Commonwealth next to Penguin. The former fire and ice building I heard, was going to be a indy rock/ alternative /music venue hip lounge sort of thing.Which would be nice to have something other than jam music around here.

Thanks for the clarification. What is currently in the location beside Penguin? I know the Diamond and the Animal Hospital but I cant place what else it right there.

SNUG HARBOR is the indie/rock club going in where fire and ice was.

COMMON MARKET has excellent coffee... especially the first half of each day - when it is being brewed constantly. it isn't a coffee shop but does a good job on a straight up cup. they have a little side patio thingy, too. which is intimate... reminds me of places i've been to in williamsburg/brooklyn.

Edited by cinco