Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

on a happy note, though. the upcoming restaurant that will be located next to central27 is trudging along and i'm happy to say they have begun work on a nice sized patio. the outdoor seating is on the corner of thomas ave & central ave - and looks to be fairly large. i think they sacrificed some needed parking for the patio, but have wisely and responsably chosen to go with something that will enhance the hood. this is the kind of thing that adds and fits perfectly into plaza-midwood. it will be utilized and i suspect very popular.

Do you know what restaurant is going in there? I guess I haven't paid attention to the spots surrounding Central27 lately.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think Central27's site could have been utilized better. I know they are promoting their "rollup" front porches but that location is very high traffic and congested. In general this area is a lot of fun,thriving and walkable but the front units retractable porches will almost be sitting on Central Ave. I just don't see the appeal of hanging out there and breathing CATS bus fumes. The whole building should have been set back a little more to shield it from Central's bustle.

I actually found the book on the bookshelf about 20 feet away, that I never have rummaged through :blush:

The name of the project in Seattle that I've been thinking of is called, The Epicenter. It is 128 apartments over a organic grocer, ice creamery, sushi bar, and home furnishing store. It is located in the Fremont neighborhood on Fremont Ave.

Here are some pics....THIS, is what I would like to see on a smaller scale at the AutoWerks site :) It also won the 2004 NAHB multi-family project of the year.

Front (along Fremon Ave)

post-1289-1171383833_thumb.jpg

Back

post-1289-1171383819_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for tracking this down.....looks great.

I am going to pursue additional information.

Plaza Central Mixed Use

I found this project randomly. Looks to be an interesting project but I don't know really anything about it. I was wondering if anybody else knew about it.

4th picture on the left side.

Great find rip212!

I wish I knew where this was going, as it looks interesting. My only hope would be for better orientation to the street. Overall it is not a bad looking bldg IMO.

A2

Looks good, except it really would be nice if those power lines were buried.

I agree. I was going to say they almost looked like renderings if it weren't for those dang things.

If Duke Power refuses to bury lines without substantial public subsidy, I would prefer the city designate corridors where aesthetics are important, requiring Duke to relocate the lines to alleyways or back streets. There is no reason that the symbolic centers of different neighborhoods shouldn't be stripped of their lines. Streets like Central, North Davidson, East, Elizabeth Ave, 7th, Plaza, etc. are very photographed corridors, and set people's impressions of the entire neighborhood and city. Having those stupid lines everywhere just gives people a bad impression of the city.

That all said, I think this project (which I was a little unsure on the design for) is going to really help bring interesting modern (or almost European) architecture to this neighborhood. With Conformity's work along those lines nearby, this could really be a neighborhood that people can point to.

Plaza Central Mixed Use

I found this project randomly. Looks to be an interesting project but I don't know really anything about it. I was wondering if anybody else knew about it.

4th picture on the left side.

This the MotorVerks site at Commonwealth and Pecan. These plans were developed by a past owner and they never materialized. So it doesn't appear that I am indulging in any schadenfreude, check out Conformity's early ideas for the Hawthorne site (Party Reflections site across from the Faison's site at Sunnyside and Hawthorne).....a site we never developed and later sold....an event that was accompanied by great personal anguish.

http://www.clinedesignassoc.com/portfolio/...amp;EntryID=117

For the record, we were not happy with this design. Looks like an office park, doesn't it?

When you get into development remember two things about architects:

1.) When considering a portfolio, ask that they present pictures only (drawings were likely never built and therefore their feasability has not been tested)

2.) Find the right one straight out of the shoot. Kick ass schematics early in the process can do a lot to put legs under a deal.

Edited by Conformity

I can't say I think Central 27 looks good at all. That is the feedback I've sat passively back and heard from friends as well when we visit the area. To me it already looks dated, like a 60's or 70's office building. That or a beach motel. The front view (directly front) is OK, the side views are awful and those are the ones most people will see driving up and down Central.

The market seems to feel the same way with the project nearly complete, located in a good area, and half the units still available.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I've been thinking the same thing, but was reluctant to pile on as a naysayer. I don't think the building is out of scale. When there are a few others that size nearby it will change that impression, for people who get that feeling today.

But I hate seeing buildings with no windows on the sides. Cheap apartments and cheap entry level housing looks like that.

Another example are the south facing sides of 3030 South. You can tell where windows would have gone, and they actually bricked over the openings! Ugh! Yea, they just face a gas station and the CATS maintenance facility... But a crummy view and some natural light, beats none at all.

Edited by MZT

I can't speak for the developer of Central 27, but I think the reason there are no windows on the side of the building facing downtown is because the property owner next to them could build on that lot and could build just as tall as Central 27 therefore blocking any view someone would have out of the windows.

I can't speak for the developer of Central 27, but I think the reason there are no windows on the side of the building facing downtown is because the property owner next to them could build on that lot and could build just as tall as Central 27 therefore blocking any view someone would have out of the windows.

Even if that were the case, it would have been nice if they put in those glass bricks so residents would at least get some natural light.

The side walls of the development are either on a zero lot line or within 3 feet of the side property line. Building code does not allow for any openings that close to a property line. In bygone days, this section of the code did not exist and as such you will see buildings with similar lot line conditions with openings (windows)....but they are 1930's and before. If you see a newer building with a zero condition with windows, it'll be adjacent to a Public Right of Way, not an adjoining private property. Because an adjacent structure cannot be erected in a ROW that building face is not subjected to percentage openings testing.

You'll notice that in the notch in the side of Central 27, there is a window if I recall correctly. This plane of the building meets the fire code mandated distance from the property line. I suspect that this window is located in a center hall that serves the units and has a window on each of its ends.

The further away from the property line you move, the higher the percentage openings allowed (taken as a percentage of the building face located in the distance plane being tested). If the building is protected (sprinkled), the percentage openings allowed is greater at each tier.

By way of example, note the big blank wall Grubb had to live with over Picasso's when they failed to get that property. Had they been able to come to the corner, there would have been no limits on percentage openings.

Edited by Conformity