Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious about what CMS is doing with the abandoned building along Central just past the intersection with Plaza? It's being rehabbed into something.... er duh I guess it could be a school? :lol:

Not sure what it IS, but it WAS a school for pregnant girls a while back. Or maybe troubled youth too, but it was an operating CMS school.

Edited by Charlotte_native

Not sure what it IS, but it WAS a school for pregnant girls a while back. Or maybe troubled youth too, but it was an operating CMS school.

"TAPS" Midwood Middle moved to Hawthorne. They are renovating Midwood School and i think they will be putting "8+" graders there... 9th grade age kids that aren't quite ready for high school

I missed that meeting. How would a regular citizen find out about such meetings? I live in the area and would love to hear the thoughts of architects and developers about maintaining some culture in the area. This forum has me addicted now for the same reasons.

Side note: I walked around Central27 yesterday and up close, the building is not that bad. I actually like the backside that looks down the Plaza. I would much rather live on the back and have a view into the neighborhood instead of overlooking Central Ave from 20ft up.

I have heard there will be a restaurant right beside Central27, any clues what that will be? I see they have added a walk-in cooler on the back of the building.

Also- I noticed the little house in between the No Grease building and Pura Vida is for sale/lease. Anyone know who owns the Flava Factory? I noticed they moved from South Blvd. near Emerywood to the Central Location. Is this boutique really as ghetto as the name implies? I certainly hope not. I am a fan of many fashion choices, just not looking for an Eli's Fashion Warehouse on that part of Central.

Side note: I walked around Central27 yesterday and up close, the building is not that bad. I actually like the backside that looks down the Plaza. I would much rather live on the back and have a view into the neighborhood instead of overlooking Central Ave from 20ft up.

I saw it as well driving by a couple times this past week. I dont mind the building as much either, especially after hearing about the lot lines. But what kills this project is the power lines. They are terrible and cut right accross the mid section of the structure, it looks rediculous!!! Until something is done about the utilities, our urban areas will never look urban. Do other cities have this problem? I'll bet Europeans laugh at things like this...

ps. you could probably dive to these lines from the balconies, just remember to only touch one line at a time :)

Edited by Mobuchu

^The corner cylindrical feature seems to be a mark of many modern buildings. I can think of three off the top of my head in different cities in the Carolinas that have them:

510 Glenwood condos in Raleigh:

20070116-150149-510-glenwood-website.gif

The recently completed RiverPlace Hampton Inn in DT Greenville:

GSPDTHX_Hampton_Inn_and_Suites-Greenville-Downtown_SC_home_right.jpg

Adesso condos under construction in DT Columbia:

adesso.jpg

Hi Everyone!

First time poster, long time reader and Midwoodian for the past 7+ years.

Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone have any recent info about the Plaza / Central Harris Teeter expansion? I would love to know there's an end to my trips to the Cotswold Teeter for the olive bar.

And now I'm off to Matthews (or the University - can't decide) for my weekly Target trip. Thank goodness that will soon end.

It excites me to hear people who will make use of these "urban" stores. Even though they aren't perfectly planned or architecturally beautiful, they will draw people into an urban area. Or at least mostly urban. The fact that it will just draw more people in for more reasons overshadows the negatives. Welcome to UP boochops!

Re: Industry 29 condos @ Briar Creek and 74

The only issue has something to do with zoning. The project will now be pushed out a bit.

They thought they had the correct zoning in place - they didn't, so now they are going up for a rezoning to UR-2(CD). I don't see the surrounding neighborhood fighting this too much given what the site looks like now.

The petition is here.

Edited by sfmartin

Thanks for the update. We should have some elevations soon. I know some of the people involved. Overall, especially with the current condition of the site, the project will be a nice addition IMO. Being a resident of this exact area, my concerns rest more with the burnt out Circle K. I know I have mentioned this before, but that little area by Morningside and Commonwealth has a lot of potential.

I meant to say BETTER elevations than the rezoning site shows. Narmour Wright Creech is working on those now.

Edited by CLTNative

First time poster.........

Does anyone know what's going on at The Plaza and Clemson? They've boarded up the On The Run, and have razed the apartment units next to it in the last two days.

Very curious....

i have wondered the same thing about the ON THE RUN? this was the convienient store i frequented the most. it was very successful, had nice employees, and felt pretty darn safe. so, they aren't tearing this down b/c it's lack of business...

@ first i thought they were just transferring ownership and would reopen... hopefully with some of the same employees. i will be upset if we lose this store b/c in some marginalized way - it made me feel more connected to this part of town. it gave a little sense of community to an extremely diverse area of charlotte.

BTW, doodlydasher - welcome to UP.

Edited by cinco

on a happy note, though. the upcoming restaurant that will be located next to central27 is trudging along and i'm happy to say they have begun work on a nice sized patio. the outdoor seating is on the corner of thomas ave & central ave - and looks to be fairly large. i think they sacrificed some needed parking for the patio, but have wisely and responsably chosen to go with something that will enhance the hood. this is the kind of thing that adds and fits perfectly into plaza-midwood. it will be utilized and i suspect very popular.

here's the skinny on the forementioned restaurant. it will be an organic restaurant... doesn't elude to being solely vegetarian... it should do well in PM. i know one of the owners. roger has been a fixture in the community for very long time and is a great guy who cares about the hood. he has a ton of hometown pride and that accounts for alot.

http://www.charlotte.com/115/story/53856.html

In other PM restaurant news I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that Jackalope Jacks is moving to PM. They've bought the Steeple location. They're planning a renovation and expansion including a rooftop bar with those quarter telescopes for skyline viewing. I'm surprised Tonya Jameson didn't just post this herself, I'm pretty sure she mills around UP from time to time ;)

Jack's Observer Article