Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

I don't believe so, as that name sounds like a city-sponsered infill parcel. I believe the building is in a neighborhood just north of downtown....probably somewhere in Lake Union. This is driving me crazy. It was in lots of publications in the spring/summer of 2005, but I can't find it anywhere now.

And speaking of cool Seattle housing, I LOVE the 1310 East Union Lofts building. I don't envision this for the AutoWerks site, but it would be a great building for SouthEnd or the surface parking lot on Elizabeth Ave between NoFo and the building under rehab. Here's a pic of that building that really doesn't do it justice.

1310Exterior.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe so, as that name sounds like a city-sponsered infill parcel. I believe the building is in a neighborhood just north of downtown....probably somewhere in Lake Union. This is driving me crazy. It was in lots of publications in the spring/summer of 2005, but I can't find it anywhere now.

And speaking of cool Seattle housing, I LOVE the 1310 East Union Lofts building. I don't envision this for the AutoWerks site, but it would be a great building for SouthEnd of the surface parking lot on Elizabeth Ave between NoFo and the building under rehab. Here's a pic of that building that really doesn't do it justice.

1310Exterior.jpg

PLEASE build something like that!

New Development in the works at Briar Creek Road Ramp - Parcel 12907416

Hat tip to my neighbor for this info:

• John R. Poore Builders

• 29 townhouse units

• style is described as "industrial-chic"; exposed ductwork in loft-type spaces, etc.

• designed by Narmour-Wright Architects

• each unit consists of entire space from ground to roof (2-3 floors, i.e. split-level?)....built-in garage, then a 300 sf "recreational rooftop entertaining space" with trellised plantings atop each unit

• first-floor skin is all glass

• size ranges from 1200 sf priced @ 280K (that works out to $233/sf !), to 1500 sf priced @ 308K ($205/sf)

• 2 weeks later...

<First Post Ever!!> I asked around about this Briarcreek and 74 project. All the info above seems correct. The only issue has something to do with zoning. The project will now be pushed out a bit. That sucks, I bought in the neighborhood about a year ago and am anxious to see what will happen, especially with Morningside and the "Industry 29" project. There are also quite a few apartment complexes on Green Oaks Ln that could use a serious facelift. I would love to see a Morningside-like development take over that street between Commonwealth and Central. There is a loy of culture hidden on Central Ave, if you can look past some of the bario. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

rock n' roll is coming back into the hood. FIRE & ICE, a small club located near the intersection of pecan and central... is in the process of changing hands. the new owner has experience in booking really good (IMO) live music and has wanted to open a club of his own for a long time... i am excited about this one. ever since the steeple closed it's doors there has been a void in plaza-midwood... there was something nice about walking around this area and hearing the muffled sounds of music filling the air... calling your name :).

... and speaking of THE STEEPLE. i heard a rumor that JACK'S on 7th street could be re-locating to where the steeple used to be. if this happens, PM's stock of bars, music, and food would be much enhanced.

rock n' roll is coming back into the hood. FIRE & ICE, a small club located near the intersection of pecan and central... is in the process of changing hands. the new owner has experience in booking really good (IMO) live music and has wanted to open a club of his own for a long time... i am excited about this one. ever since the steeple closed it's doors there has been a void in plaza-midwood... there was something nice about walking around this area and hearing the muffled sounds of music filling the air... calling your name :).

... and speaking of THE STEEPLE. i heard a rumor that JACK'S on 7th street could be re-locating to where the steeple used to be. if this happens, PM's stock of bars, music, and food would be much enhanced.

That is really good news. I wondered if Fire & Ice was still open. How long until the new owner takes over?

If Jack's moves to where The Steeple used to be that would be a great addition to the PM area but a big loss for the Elizabeth neighborhood.

That is really good news. I wondered if Fire & Ice was still open. How long until the new owner takes over?

If Jack's moves to where The Steeple used to be that would be a great addition to the PM area but a big loss for the Elizabeth neighborhood.

i am not exactly sure on the timetable of the new club... i'm sure they are moving on it pretty quickly. i will try and find out.

as for jack's... yeah that would be a big loss for elizabeth, but they would've had to relocate anyways, @ least temporarily, as that site is slated for future development. my big question about them moving to the "old" steeple location.... is food? there isn't a kitchen in that building and i would imagine there will need to be lots of work done to be able to serve food there.

I would love for Jack's to move over to that part of the neighborhood. Its really not that far away from the current location. There tends to be more foot traffic in the Thomas Ave. area than on 7th.

Does anyone know anything about the former Circle K at Morningside and Commonwealth? This may be an old topic, but I have not heard anything about it. There is quite a bit of land between that intersection and highway 74. With the Morningside redevelopment about to start, some must have a plan for this area.

I would love for Jack's to move over to that part of the neighborhood. Its really not that far away from the current location. There tends to be more foot traffic in the Thomas Ave. area than on 7th.

FWIW, I've heard that Jacks definitely is moving into the old Steeple space and am told that they will upgrade the current site to include a kitchen.

Does anyone know anything about the former Circle K at Morningside and Commonwealth? This may be an old topic, but I have not heard anything about it. There is quite a bit of land between that intersection and highway 74. With the Morningside redevelopment about to start, some must have a plan for this area.

As I understand it the renovations would cost more than 40k, which is the cut-off point for work in a floodplain - so they are really in a catch 22. I have heard that the flood mapping for Briar Creek in that area is under review and the adjustments may free them up to do the work, but it's a time consuming process.

I have not seen anyone moving out of the Morningside Apts, which is puzzling to me. The deadlines just keep getting pushed back.

As I understand it the renovations would cost more than 40k, which is the cut-off point for work in a floodplain - so they are really in a catch 22. I have heard that the flood mapping for Briar Creek in that area is under review and the adjustments may free them up to do the work, but it's a time consuming process.

I have not seen anyone moving out of the Morningside Apts, which is puzzling to me. The deadlines just keep getting pushed back.

Here's what I heard from a fairly reliable source of information regarding what's going on in the Morningside neighborhood: The Circle K and laundr-o-mat will (eventually) be renovated into one big gas station/quick mart combo thing. In regards to the area behind the gas station, there was talk of renovating that old garage (the building behind the house at Com/Morn intersection, not building directly behind the gas station) into artist studios.

As for Morningside Apts, he said Feb 1 was the beginning of move-outs. Apparently, quite a few people have already left. I think he said everyone would be "phased out" by April.

Here's what I heard from a fairly reliable source of information regarding what's going on in the Morningside neighborhood: The Circle K and laundr-o-mat will (eventually) be renovated into one big gas station/quick mart combo thing. In regards to the area behind the gas station, there was talk of renovating that old garage (the building behind the house at Com/Morn intersection, not building directly behind the gas station) into artist studios.

As for Morningside Apts, he said Feb 1 was the beginning of move-outs. Apparently, quite a few people have already left. I think he said everyone would be "phased out" by April.

Thanks for the info, geek. While I certainly like the idea of the artist studios, I must say I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of a gas station/quick mart eyesore on that corner.

Thanks for the updates everyone. I had almost anticipated a full service conventience-type store at that intersection. I was still hoping for something a little different in concept. I bought in the Williamsburg community over a year ago (when the Circle K was still operational). Speaking of Williamsburg, I have a small update, phase 4 is underway. It has been gutted and is being rebuilt as we speak. They are advertising a June move-in on this phase. I am excited since that hopefully means the final phase will be inhabited by years end.

I am also excited about Morningside staying on schedule. That will be a much needed addition to the neighborhood. I understand the point of view that the culture of the neighborhood will be compromised, but Morningside apartments are not the only place to find culture in that area. There are still cheap, dense apartment complexes all down Green Oaks Ln as well as some of the older neighnorhoods around Central/Eastway and on down towards Kilbourne and Shamrock. I grew up on Tipperary and believe me, that part of town has not changed with the exception of the History Museum. The grocery stores near my mother's house have changed from a Food Lion and Winn Dixie to Compare Foods and Value Village (or something along those lines). My parents are almost ready to cut their loses in that neighborhood and retreat out to the country.

Moving back to my neighborhood, does anyone know when the Plaza-Vu will begin demo? That project looks nice and it will be a welcome comp in my opinion. They are small and priced more than my place.

Also- does anyone think we will ever revive the Central/Plaza theatre, aka the ######cat XXX. Does anyone have a picture of the old theatre at the corner of Central and Plaza? I would love to see some friendlier venues come to that block. The industrial area near the Family Dollar would be a nice spot for a drive in theatre or some outdoor venue.

Thanks for the info, geek. While I certainly like the idea of the artist studios, I must say I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of a gas station/quick mart eyesore on that corner.

As unfortunate as it is, I think a gas station is a must on that corner (as apparently our little corner of the world will never get any mass transit). I've seen them well designed in some communities; perhaps they will try to appeal to the high-rollers in the Morningside development and put in something that looks nice and functions well.

Now if someone could do something with the apartments directly accross Commonwealth from the Circle K - They look worse every day w/ mold and decay.

tuscan development's central27 looks like it's almost complete. i don't mind the overall look of the building... but, 2 things make it a big missed opportunity IMO.

first, is the fact that there is no retail. we knew all along that there wouldn't be... but, actually seeing that there isn't - is hurtful. i know that parking @ central27 had to be addressed, but if your not going to bake in retail on this project - then where? she was prime.

my second issue is the behemoth blank walls on either side of this building... what a horrific eyesore. gray metal walls with hardly any windows... i think it flat out sucks. the effect would be eleviated if they were to incorporate some kind of advertising sign or billboard on the side... i think PM is the kind of place where that would work. of course city restrictions probably do not allow for such a thing? yet they allow for huge blank walls.... AARGHH.

on a happy note, though. the upcoming restaurant that will be located next to central27 is trudging along and i'm happy to say they have begun work on a nice sized patio. the outdoor seating is on the corner of thomas ave & central ave - and looks to be fairly large. i think they sacrificed some needed parking for the patio, but have wisely and responsably chosen to go with something that will enhance the hood. this is the kind of thing that adds and fits perfectly into plaza-midwood. it will be utilized and i suspect very popular.

Edited by cinco

I don't have it, but I will find it next time I am near a ULI Bookstore event or if I have a chance to order it through the online bookstore. It's not "Site 17" is it? Does that ring a bell? It got a lot of press and is also featured in "Density by Design". Thanks for looking for it. I appreciate it and will track it down.

I actually found the book on the bookshelf about 20 feet away, that I never have rummaged through :blush:

The name of the project in Seattle that I've been thinking of is called, The Epicenter. It is 128 apartments over a organic grocer, ice creamery, sushi bar, and home furnishing store. It is located in the Fremont neighborhood on Fremont Ave.

Here are some pics....THIS, is what I would like to see on a smaller scale at the AutoWerks site :) It also won the 2004 NAHB multi-family project of the year.

Front (along Fremon Ave)

post-1289-1171383833_thumb.jpg

Back

post-1289-1171383819_thumb.jpg

tuscan development's central27 looks like it's almost complete. i don't mind the overall look of the building... but, 2 things make it a big missed opportunity IMO.

first, is the fact that there is no retail. we knew all along that there wouldn't be... but, actually seeing that there isn't - is hurtful. i know that parking @ central27 had to be addressed, but if your not going to bake in retail on this project - then where? she was prime.

my second issue is the behemoth blank walls on either side of this building... what a horrific eyesore. gray metal walls with hardly any windows... i think it flat out sucks. the effect would be eleviated if they were to incorporate some kind of advertising sign or billboard on the side... i think PM is the kind of place where that would work. of course city restrictions probably do not allow for such a thing? yet they allow for huge blank walls.... AARGHH.

I suspect this is one reason half of these units are still available and this project is almost done. That is not typical in Charlotte and this is definitely a "desireable" area.