GSP International

gvillenative

115,000 miles to fly out of GSP or 45,000 miles to fly out of Charlotte to London on American Airlines. Which one would you choose?

The City of Greenville should take over GSP. Somebody needs to kick stupid Milliken to the curb already. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

This airport is a depressing site. :( Might as well just shut the whole place down. No point in keeping it open anymore. Pretty sad and pathetic when Asheville and Huntsville which have a smaller population than the upstate region gets more carriers then we do. I guess all Milliken cares about is how much cargo they can slam through the airport. Passengers? What passengers? We have cargo. :D :cry:

Edited by gman430

GSP just had a head-to-toe renovation and is gorgeous.  It is kept spotless and is stuffed with artwork. How many other airports have an amenity like the airside garden?  Security lines are short, distances to be walked are minimal, parking is close and cheap. We're going to be getting a nice airport hotel. People who visit me frequently tell me how much they love GSP (without me fishing for compliments). We all would like more direct flights, but do we really think we lack these because GSP management forgets to ask the airlines for them? We will get more service when we have the demand for it, and prior to the pandemic demand had been steadily rising (no doubt due in part to the aforementioned renovations). Be patient, more service will come unless the pandemic permanently hurts air travel (which it may well do for business travel). In terms of Breeze, yes it's a bit of a slight to the ego we didn't get service. But which of the cities which Breeze is serving do you really think we are crying out for direct service to? Hartford? Akron? Tulsa? Admittedly it would be nice to have nonstop service to a few cities like Boston, but otherwise we cover all the major cities from Denver east. Otherwise, heavens forfend you have to catch a connecting flight.   Is this really more time-consuming and inconvenient than driving 2:45 to Atlanta, having to deal with potential road construction, congestion, and accidents on the highways, and then having to deal with that gigantic airport? Love GSP, great management as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

I just don’t understand how freaking Huntsville and Akron can land Breeze along with Asheville landing JetBlue but we can’t. Did somebody bribe the airlines from those cities? 

My flights to Hawaii and San Francisco were both over $500 cheaper to fly out of Atlanta instead of GSP. I’m sorry but I am willing to drive 3+ hours each way and stand in an hour long TSA line to save that much money. Don’t have to connect through as many airports either. 

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

I just don’t understand how freaking Huntsville and Akron can land Breeze along with Asheville landing JetBlue but we can’t. Did somebody bribe the airlines from those cities? 

My flights to Hawaii and San Francisco were both over $500 cheaper to fly out of Atlanta instead of GSP. I’m sorry but I am willing to drive 3+ hours each way and stand in an hour long TSA line to save that much money. Don’t have to connect through as many airports either. 

That's for you. I've never seen a $500 difference in price. Even if I did, I'm at an age where I now care more about convenience and peace. I dislike hassle at all costs. Who cares that those other airports got a startup carrier. They are still moving less passengers than GSP does. For an airport stuck dead smack in the middle of two major airports GSP does very well. And what good does complaining here do? We don't run the airport or the airlines. Shouldn't you be directing your complaints to them? Come on man. Get a hold of yourself. Lol.

Well, it finally happened. I am flying out of GSP in August. The fare to Fairbanks was cheaper than either Charlotte or Atlanta via Delta Airlines. 

Also, I was checking American Airlines website just out of curiosity for flights to London next April and the ones out of GSP are around $1,200 cheaper than Charlotte. :shok: $1300 vs $2500.

What is happening right now? :wacko: Should I be concerned? :scared:

F4437A0D-1FDE-4436-BCE5-835E08064A02.jpegN

BE982572-3581-42BB-8D3D-35183409B741.jpeg

Edited by gman430

On 5/22/2021 at 7:44 AM, gman430 said:

This airport is a depressing site. :( Might as well just shut the whole place down. No point in keeping it open anymore. Pretty sad and pathetic when Asheville and Huntsville which have a smaller population than the upstate region gets more carriers then we do. I guess all Milliken cares about is how much cargo they can slam through the airport. Passengers? What passengers? We have cargo. :D :cry:

Drama queen?

1 hour ago, gman said:

Drama queen?

Not really. Sorry I care about the state of our airport. Sorry I don’t sit there, twiddle my thumbs, shrug my shoulders and say ‘oh well’ when we don’t land these low cost carriers while metro areas much smaller than ours do. Hopefully Southwest pulls out soon. That way we can see who really cares and who doesn’t. 

Edited by gman430

Anyways, here is some GSP info for you all:

-March 2021 saw 100,738 passengers. March 2020 saw 120,517 passengers for comparison.

-March 2021 saw 15,605,346 pounds of cargo. March 2020 saw 8,079,534 pounds for comparison.

-March 2021 saw 3,844 aircraft operations with 2,074 being airlines. March 2020 saw 3,895 aircraft operations with 2,344 being airlines for comparison. 

March 2021/2020 airline load factors:

Allegiant 50.9%/51.2% 

American Airlines 74.7%/65.2%

Delta 59.8%/45.2%

Silver 62.6%/NA

Southwest 40.6%/32.6%

United 67.9%/47.5%

Total 61.2%/50.7%

Edited by gman430

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Passenger enplanements expected to be 851,000 for 2022, 1,250,000 for 2023, and 1,400,000 for 2024.

Price increases coming for parking: 

Valet parking $17 to $21

Garage A & B $15 to $16

Daily lot $9 to $12

Economy lot $7 to $8

This stinks, although expected. Getting to pay just $2 more for valet (vs larger markets where it is significantly more) was a treat. Now $5 more, while still a good deal compared to others, might make some just part int he lot 15 feet away. I know their valet was running at capacity anyway so they are probably hoping this will happen, while making more money on the patrons that do still valet.

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Also, I was checking American Airlines website just out of curiosity for flights to London next April and the ones out of GSP are around $1,200 cheaper than Charlotte. :shok: $1300 vs $2500.

I'm booking multiple trips right now, including one to London for the fall. GSP is $300 cheaper (with one stop) right now than CLT (which has two stops). On the other hand, a flight to California is more expensive from GSP at the moment. All in all, it equals out, and GSP is such a nice experience to use. 

I would be happy with a non-stop to L.A. and a non-stop to Vegas but I guess that is asking too much. With that said I will always fly out of GSP.  Wish Frontier would return with their non-stops to Denver and Vegas. They flew large planes and every time I used them they were at or near capacity. 

56 minutes ago, apaladin said:

I would be happy with a non-stop to L.A. and a non-stop to Vegas but I guess that is asking too much. With that said I will always fly out of GSP.  Wish Frontier would return with their non-stops to Denver and Vegas. They flew large planes and every time I used them they were at or near capacity. 

Yeah I really hope Frontier will give us another shot. As I recall the load factors were well into the 80s; mid to upper? It seems like the COVID shutdown kept us from really settling in with them. I think Knoxville was able to keep them.

As for driving to ATL, I hate it too, but last time I went to CA I saved $1300 on tickets for a family. GSP would have been the extra $1300 plus one or two stops, with one being redeye. Sometimes it just makes too much sense, headache or no.

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

GSP actually comes up on Frontier’s website which is kind of funny. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

GSP actually comes up on Frontier’s website which is kind of funny. :ph34r:

I think it only shows up in the drop down box for "from". But it doesn't list anywhere in the "to" box. Likewise, it doesn't show up in the "to" list for other destinations.  I think its been like this the whole time. I guess either they forgot to remove it from the from box or there's a chance it could be readded? 

Tell me again why we can’t land JetBlue with this info: 

“Air travel hit a new high of the pandemic last weekend, with the Transportation Security Administration saying it screened 90% of the total number of people it screened on the equivalent day in 2019, long before the pandemic. 

The Sunday figure of 1.86 million people screened is compared to nearly 2.1 million on the equivalent Sunday of 2019. At this point in 2020, the pandemic had driven air travel into a deep hole, and the TSA reported only 267,000 screenings. 

The new number beat the previous record set one week earlier. 

With Memorial Day just one week away, planes are nearly as full as before the pandemic. The average domestic flight is carrying 98 passengers, compared to an average of 99 passengers in 2019, according to data from Airlines for America.”
Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:
Tell me again why we can’t land JetBlue with this info: 

“Air travel hit a new high of the pandemic last weekend, with the Transportation Security Administration saying it screened 90% of the total number of people it screened on the equivalent day in 2019, long before the pandemic. 

The Sunday figure of 1.86 million people screened is compared to nearly 2.1 million on the equivalent Sunday of 2019. At this point in 2020, the pandemic had driven air travel into a deep hole, and the TSA reported only 267,000 screenings. 

The new number beat the previous record set one week earlier. 

With Memorial Day just one week away, planes are nearly as full as before the pandemic. The average domestic flight is carrying 98 passengers, compared to an average of 99 passengers in 2019, according to data from Airlines for America.”

Because it's a different kind of travel right now.  There is no business travel and an extra flux of stir crazy leisure travelers wanting to get away.  People are flying to beaches, mountains, Mexico, Latin America, the Carribean.  Airlines are beefing up those cities to keep up with demand.  Places like Cancun are getting an absurd number of flights,  including wide bodies and they are getting filled.

Unfortunately the additions to those routes are coming from bigger cities who are getting more point to point flying instead of having to funnel through hubs.  Smaller cities getting more service are the tourist destinations themselves, hence AVL.  

Jetblue is focused on filling those needs right now.  Look at where their last couple expansions were too.  Lots and lots of Florida., Mexico, Latin America, and beefing up NYC and BOS with more tourist connectivity.   GSP just doesn't match up to travel patterns at this time.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-jetblue-alliance-new-routes/

https://www.businessinsider.com/jetblue-adds-24-new-routes-4-new-cities-new-year-2020-12

:yahoo: :yahoo: Let’s roll: 

GSP-Miami with American will be increasing from once a day currently to twice a day starting in August. 

GSP-Chicago (ORD) with American will be increasing from twice a day currently to three times a day starting in September. 

GSP-Washington DC (DCA) with American will be increasing from once a day currently to three times a day starting in August.

GSP-Detroit with Delta will be increasing from twice a day currently to three times a day starting in September.

GSP-NYC (LaGuardia) with Delta will be increasing from once a day in June to twice a day starting in August. 

GSP-Atlanta with Delta will be increasing from six times a day currently to seven times a day starting in July and then up to eight times a day starting in August.

GSP-Washington DC (IAD) with United will be increasing from three times a daily currently to four times a day starting in July.

GSP-New York (EWR) with United will be returning in August with one flight a day increasing to three times a day starting in September. 

GSP-Atlanta with Southwest will be increasing from twice  a day currently to three times a day starting in September. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, gman430 said:

If that’s the case, why no non-stop direct service to Las Vegas from GSP? Is business travel ever going to resume or is it pretty much gone forever thanks to Zoom? 

Vegas was tried twice here in recent years and flopped both times.  Had a cup of coffee with Allegiant and didn't fair much better with Frontier.  That was their worst route.  

Business travel should return, things are slowly getting back to normal.  Despite differing opinions on getting the Vax or not, big Corporations seem to be waiting until those Vax numbers get somewhat higher before they start resuming normal operations.

GSP-Charlotte with American will be increasing from eight times a day currently to nine times a day starting in August. 

GSP-Philadelphia with American will be increasing from one time a day currently to three times a day starting in June. 

**Some of these have one less flight on Saturdays**

Edited by gman430

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

:yahoo: :yahoo: Let’s roll: 

GSP-Miami with American will be increasing from once a day currently to twice a day starting in August. 

GSP-Chicago (ORD) with American will be increasing from twice a day currently to three times a day starting in September. 

GSP-Washington DC (DCA) with American will be increasing from once a day currently to three times a day starting in August.

GSP-Detroit with Delta will be increasing from twice a day currently to three times a day starting in September.

GSP-NYC (LaGuardia) with Delta will be increasing from once a day in June to twice a day starting in August. 

GSP-Atlanta with Delta will be increasing from six times a day currently to seven times a day starting in July and then up to eight times a day starting in August.

GSP-Washington DC (IAD) with United will be increasing from three times a daily currently to four times a day starting in July.

GSP-New York (EWR) with United will be returning in August with one flight a day increasing to three times a day starting in September. 

GSP-Atlanta with Southwest will be increasing from twice  a day currently to three times a day starting in September. 

Unless you have insider information I'd be careful with those flights.  Right now in the pandemic, airlines are only finalizing their schedules 1 to 2 months out.  The rest that is published is a place holder schedule.  United, for example, only has an official schedule until the end of July.  Now, some of those flights could stuck, but odds are not all of them will!