GSP International

gvillenative

• 3 weeks later...

Article in the Greenville News today about WN and the possibilities of cities being considered for service. Boston is on the list, which obviously excites me greatly, but unlikely in my opinion.

From the article:

"Southwest Airlines is considering service from Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport to at least five cities not served by the airport now -- Boston, Nashville, Denver, Las Vegas and Baltimore -- GSP’s top executive said Wednesday."

The article also mentioned GSP is pushing WN to fly to Tampa instead of Orlando, so as not to directly impact Allegiant.

The article also mentioned GSP is pushing WN to fly to Tampa instead of Orlando, so as not to directly impact Allegiant.

That would still impact Allegiant, as they fly nonstop to the Tampa metro through the St.Pete / Clearwater airport. Pretty much, anywhere Southwest could fly in Florida will impact Allegiant other than maybe Jacksonville, as Allegiant goes to Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa and Punta Gorda, which pretty much covers all the central / south Florida areas in a broad sense.

On a separate note, which I wanted to post yesterday....I accidentally saw some renderings of the possible GSP terminal....prelim I'm sure. The front was all glass, as was the airside of the main terminal.....all detail work was stainless with some clean looking stone mixed in.....white, cream, earthy palate.....there were multiple pages, but I couldn't flip through as too many people were around. I do know where future renderings will come from....bet citylife knows as well. Where is citylife by the way....hasn't been around in a few weeks.

That would still impact Allegiant, as they fly nonstop to the Tampa metro through the St.Pete / Clearwater airport. Pretty much, anywhere Southwest could fly in Florida will impact Allegiant other than maybe Jacksonville, as Allegiant goes to Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa and Punta Gorda, which pretty much covers all the central / south Florida areas in a broad sense.

On a separate note, which I wanted to post yesterday....I accidentally saw some renderings of the possible GSP terminal....prelim I'm sure. The front was all glass, as was the airside of the main terminal.....all detail work was stainless with some clean looking stone mixed in.....white, cream, earthy palate.....there were multiple pages, but I couldn't flip through as too many people were around. I do know where future renderings will come from....bet citylife knows as well. Where is citylife by the way....hasn't been around in a few weeks.

:whistling:

Oh and i'm right here. :D Been busy with some other things the last few weeks. :)

Edited by citylife

Spent a little time using web archive to look at gsp a few years back. Thought it'd be interesting to show what the flight schedule was here 10 years ago. Forgot about that 1 fight a day we had to Asheville. Go back another year and USAirways has the flights to Chicago, not United. Check it out if you're interested:

http://web.archive.o...om/schedule.asp

I wonder if by that description GSP is trying to mold itself after Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City, OK. It's definitely a nice airport, in fact one of my favorites in the mid size category.

Here is the wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Rogers_World_Airport

Either way, I'm excited that GSP finally realized that they needed to take a 180 in order to compete with other airports, both in fare and ambiance.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted yet, but GSP released the preliminary renderings for the upcoming terminal changes. Here's the link to the WYFF story. GSP Terminal Changes

Looks great! Thanks for posting.

Pretty much what I saw, except the wood was stainless with the stone.

I'm simply beyond excited that Greenville is basically getting an entirely new terminal through this remodel. Should make quite the impression on visitors, and without a doubt be SC's premier airport. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by gsupstate

This is exciting news, as while I haven't changed at LGA for GSP, I have changed at JFK for CLT, and ANYTHING beats JFK (Delta terminals) so I might have a new option.

While I'm pleased at USAirways announcement, what aircraft are they going to be using? They did state that the flights will be run by partner carriers, so I hope no CRJ200-700 series, and that they will utilize the E175/190 range of aircraft. It will be hard to compete against WN running 737-700's with cramped RJ's.

I wonder how DL will compete with this? More service (x7) instead of the x6 service currently? Bigger jets? It's anyone's guess at this point.

This is exciting news, as while I haven't changed at LGA for GSP, I have changed at JFK for CLT, and ANYTHING beats JFK (Delta terminals) so I might have a new option.

While I'm pleased at USAirways announcement, what aircraft are they going to be using? They did state that the flights will be run by partner carriers, so I hope no CRJ200-700 series, and that they will utilize the E175/190 range of aircraft. It will be hard to compete against WN running 737-700's with cramped RJ's.

I wonder how DL will compete with this? More service (x7) instead of the x6 service currently? Bigger jets? It's anyone's guess at this point.

Just tried to book a flight on this new service and it is a CRJ from Air Wisconsin leaving GSP at 12pm arriving at LGA at 1:56pm. Return flight leaves at 9:10am and arrives at 11:29am.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted yet, but GSP released the preliminary renderings for the upcoming terminal changes. Here's the link to the WYFF story. GSP Terminal Changes

Chatting with someone today familiar with the terminal remodel....seems we will have the only 3 level terminal in SC. The lowest level will remain baggage claim / ticketing. The middle level up the escalators will be for deplaning passengers. The new third level in the terminal will bridge over to the current conourse level (which is currently a third level up separate escalators) and be for enplaning passengers.

The more I hear, the more excited I get....this is not just simple paint and carpet, this is a serious makeover.

Chatting with someone today familiar with the terminal remodel....seems we will have the only 3 level terminal in SC. The lowest level will remain baggage claim / ticketing. The middle level up the escalators will be for deplaning passengers. The new third level in the terminal will bridge over to the current conourse level (which is currently a third level up separate escalators) and be for enplaning passengers.

The more I hear, the more excited I get....this is not just simple paint and carpet, this is a serious makeover.

So basically, the enplaning passengers will go up a new set of escalators near the front entrance and over the ticket counter level to go through security like it shows here: http://www.wyff4.com...628/detail.html. This will be built over the current middle level where the restaurant is now. Concourses A and B will be combined. Instead of two security checkpoints on two separate ends, there will be one large checkpoint in the middle now on the new expanded/combined third floor. The deplaning passengers will go down a separate set of escalators to the second level where the restaurant is now than down to the first level where baggage claim is located. Does that sound right?

Edited by citylife

So basically, the enplaning passengers will go up a new set of escalators near the front entrance and over the ticket counter level to go through security like it shows here: http://www.wyff4.com...628/detail.html. This will be built over the current middle level where the restaurant is now. Concourses A and B will be combined. Instead of two security checkpoints on two separate ends, there will be one large checkpoint in the middle now on the new expanded/combined third floor. The deplaning passengers will go down a separate set of escalators to the second level where the restaurant is now than down to the first level where baggage claim is located. Does that sound right?

You got it...

I hope you all enjoy this new airport because is going to cost you $30MM. If you read the small print, GSP will not put that much into it. They will in the next 25 years, but not for the project that will occur in two years.

Also, GSP officials get bonus if they increase the number of passengers, that is the reason they do not want SW to compete with the current airlines that service GSP, they do not care much what price you pay as long as they increase the number of passengers by not risking any competition there.

As far as I can tell we should drive one hr to Charlotte or two to Atlanta and use that money to buy books for schools in the Upstate since many schools in Greenville do not have enough to provide books to all students and have to share them.

What a message for our kids.... we have enough money to make a better building for a few people to use, but do not have enough to help you have a better future. By the way, GSP has had over 1.8MM passengers in the past and the terminal was just fine.

All they are trying to do is build a monument to Mr. Milliken who might deserve it, but not at the expense of our youth.

I hope you all enjoy this new airport because is going to cost you $30MM. If you read the small print, GSP will not put that much into it. They will in the next 25 years, but not for the project that will occur in two years.

Also, GSP officials get bonus if they increase the number of passengers, that is the reason they do not want SW to compete with the current airlines that service GSP, they do not care much what price you pay as long as they increase the number of passengers by not risking any competition there.

As far as I can tell we should drive one hr to Charlotte or two to Atlanta and use that money to buy books for schools in the Upstate since many schools in Greenville do not have enough to provide books to all students and have to share them.

What a message for our kids.... we have enough money to make a better building for a few people to use, but do not have enough to help you have a better future. By the way, GSP has had over 1.8MM passengers in the past and the terminal was just fine.

All they are trying to do is build a monument to Mr. Milliken who might deserve it, but not at the expense of our youth.

:dunno: What in the world are you talking about? Do you not realize that having a great airport brings in more business and industry, more jobs, more people and more tax dollars?

Edited by gman

Please recheck your numbers (30 million....incorrect) and please recheck the reason GSP is getting Southwest, then get back with us.

I must admit, I agree with one part of your post....as a weekly flyer, I love our airport and don't see much wrong with it. This remodel however is exciting as it will take the terminal from a nice, functioning terminal to a premier, grand entrance into the Upstate (and state).

You sound like a troll just out looking for a fight but i'll bite. There is so much false information in your post I don't even know where to start. The renovation/expansion is slated to cost $98 million, not $30 million: http://www.wyff4.com...220/detail.html It will be done in two separate phases with over $80 million in work done for the first phase and construction scheduled to start early next year sometime. I'm not sure if GSP officials receive a bonus or not for more passengers but it's fine with me if they do. They deserve it for landing Southwest Airlines and launching this new major renovation/expansion project. Airport officials want Southwest Airlines to fly to cities directly in and out of GSP that currently don't exist not for the benefit of them but for the benefit of the passengers. The passengers have wanted direct service to places like Denver and Boston for years now. GSP is just giving them what they want. :)

Not sure what books at schools has to do with the airport. :dunno: Most if not all of the money going towards this project isn't the same money that goes to our schools. It comes from a different source like bonds, airport revenue, etc. The terminal looks fine but the main problem is the functionality of it is outdated. It needs to brought out of 1960 and put into 2010 standards for the benefit of everyone.

Besides, you live in Atlanta according to your profile so why do you care what goes on here? :dontknow: Something tells me you're just jealous that GSP landed Southwest Airlines and Atlanta didn't. Hmmm....

Edited by citylife

You sound like a troll just out looking for a fight but i'll bite.

I won't... but I did want to add two cents after meeting Dave Edwards.

-While the current facility is nice, the combination of post-9/11 security changes and the fact that cutting-edge 1960s technology just isn't cutting it anymore made re-construction a necessity.

-After completion (which effectively will re-build most of the complex with the intent to apply for LEED), the new airport will be able to accommodate expected increases in traffic until 2020-2030. The re-build will not be completed for several years.