GSP International

gvillenative

I see Asheville just landed Denver service with United. This is on top of Minneapolis, Boston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Austin, etc they already have. This would be funny if it wasn’t sad and true. Is GSP ever going to get over the hump with landing more destinations or is it a lost cause now? I still don’t understand why Asheville has all of these cities from their airport but we don’t. Tourism or not, the GSP metro area has a lot bigger population base than Asheville. I guess I just don’t understand how airlines work. 

Edited by gman430

Back to complaining about the airport? Good grief. Not moved by the fact that it just deservedly won the award for best airport in the country in its size range?

As for service to Asheville, I only really count daily, year-round destinations. According to the airport website:, as for the cities you mentioned that are serving Asheville:

Denver: Seasonal and less than daily

Minneapolis: Less than daily

Boston: Seasonal and less than daily

Phoenix: Less than daily

Las Vegas: Less than daily

Austin: Less than daily.

By the way, as for your obsession with Jet Blue, they do serve Asheville. To one destination, Boston, both seasonal and less than daily.

You bring a lot of great info to the board and are welcome to your opinion, but it would save us frustration if you would stick to complaints that have a greater degree of realism.

Edited by clemsonfan
chose wrong word
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

I see Asheville just landed Denver service with United. This is on top of Minneapolis, Boston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Austin, etc they already have. This would be funny if it wasn’t sad and true. Is GSP ever going to get over the hump with landing more destinations or is it a lost cause now? I still don’t understand why Asheville has all of these cities from their airport but we don’t. Tourism or not, the GSP metro area has a lot bigger population base than Asheville. I guess I just don’t understand how airlines work. 

As I've said before, the success of the AVL airport has been a bit of a head scratcher for me as well but clemsonfan makes good points about seasonal and less than daily. I guess tourism leads the way when it comes to airport offerings; the GSA area is at least 3 times the size of the AVL area, and we know what tourism has done for MYB and CHS. There are a few routes that I think would be shoo-ins for GSP but I'm not the one with the planes or the money so I don't get a say.

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

As I've said before, the success of the AVL airport has been a bit of a head scratcher for me as well but clemsonfan makes good points about seasonal and less than daily. I guess tourism leads the way when it comes to airport offerings; the GSA area is at least 3 times the size of the AVL area, and we know what tourism has done for MYB and CHS. There are a few routes that I think would be shoo-ins for GSP but I'm not the one with the planes or the money so I don't get a say.

It is a lot more inconvenient to drive from AVL to ATL or CLT than it is from GSP.  I think that is a significant factor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When United made the decision to add the Mesa 900s that came from AA, they placed them in IAH and DEN.  That coupled with new planes slowly rolling in helps them expand DEN.

The objective for United has always been to make DEN their biggest hub.  There's been no secret about that.  IAD is supposed to grow too.  Word has just leaked about IAD renovations and expansion.  Also Scott Kirby just mentioned IAD will expand and stated IAD will go to 7 banks of flights over the current 4.

The growing of IAD is expected to be a mostly mainline growth though, so it will probably be a little later in the United Next plan as the Mainline planes really start rolling in.  My best guess is that will start happening late '24 into 2025.

• Thanks 2

I see ticket prices to and from New Haven in June and July are pushing $300 a piece due to demand. Talk about a gold mine and smart move on their part. I’m hearing a lot of people booking the tickets are heading to Western NC and Great Smokey Mtns. Sorry Asheville…not really. Seeing lots of billboards up for Avelo in the area also. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

That’s great, but the executive directors and senior staff of those agencies can’t just meet in a conference room and figure those things out for no additional cost?

On 6/2/2023 at 5:52 PM, PuppiesandKittens said:

The new GSP-LGA flights on AA have lots of empty seats.  What gives: did people who fly that route just already book in advance on Delta?  Those flights need more customers if we want to keep them.

Maybe people are hesitant because of the threat of a pilot strike? I would be. Still not resolved, correct?

On 4/20/2023 at 3:14 PM, rssgvegas said:

Looks like 6 weekly flights was right.  Not sure why they held off on the ILG announcement other than maybe they wanted to make it apart of the ILG expansion announcement!

While the September schedule is not finalized, United has tentatively upgauged one of their EWR flights to a mainline a319 starting Sept 5th.  Also that same day, IAH is upgauged to a 166 seat B737-800 and the pm ORD mainline that goes away this summer comes back and is also upgauged to a B737-800.

Looks like two of the three EWR flights will be mainline starting September 5th not just one. Airbus 319 and Boeing 737-700. 

Edited by gman430

-Southwest to Atlanta increases to three times daily everyday except for Saturdays which remains at two times daily starting in early November.

-Also in early November, Houston goes completely away and Baltimore is back to once daily everyday.

-Houston returns to Saturday service, Baltimore goes to twice daily on Saturdays, and Atlanta goes three times daily every day starting around Christmas. 

-Nothing to Nashville unfortunately 

Edited by gman430

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

Looks like two of the three EWR flights will be mainline starting September 5th not just one. Airbus 319 and Boeing 737-700. 

That is correct.  The United schedule is finalized through the end of September.  EWR is 2x mainline daily from Sept 6-16 and 1x daily after that.

18 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Sounds like seats are continuing to be added, plus Avelo starting, numbers should around 2.5 this year. If nothing big happens next year we could pass 2019 numbers. Still would like to see some new destinations though; MSP, BOS, PHX, LAX, LAS... some of the usual suspects. 

Boston and something like LAX would be good. I was in the Philippines a few weeks ago. Would be nice to go from GSP to LAX to Manila.

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

-Southwest to Atlanta increases to three times daily everyday except for Saturdays which remains at two times daily starting in early November.

-Also in early November, Houston goes completely away and Baltimore is back to once daily everyday.

-Houston returns to Saturday service, Baltimore goes to twice daily on Saturdays, and Atlanta goes three times daily every day starting around Christmas. 

-Nothing to Nashville unfortunately 

Exact dates regarding Southwest:

GSP-ATL increases to three times a day six days a week (minus Saturday) starting November 5th. Saturday goes from twice daily to three times daily starting December 23rd.

Saturday service to HOU from GSP returns on December 23rd after leaving on November 4th and twice daily service to BWI from GSP on Saturday’s starts December 23rd also. This is an increase from once daily currently. 

Edited by gman430

15 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Sounds like seats are continuing to be added, plus Avelo starting, numbers should around 2.5 this year. If nothing big happens next year we could pass 2019 numbers. Still would like to see some new destinations though; MSP, BOS, PHX, LAX, LAS... some of the usual suspects. 

Don’t forget that AA to Philadelphia will be going from twice a day currently to three times a day starting July 5th seven days a week. However, it looks like Saturday service with AA to LGA is down to once a day. The other six days are still twice a day. More seats are starting to get booked to and from LGA those six days also it appears which is great to see. July is going to be a big month for GSP in terms of pax numbers either way. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2