GSP International

gvillenative

59 minutes ago, hauntedheadnc said:

New Haven and Orlando?

That's the whooptiest doo that ever doo'ed whooptily, or industrial strength meh. Whichever you prefer.  

I get it, not really what I was hoping for either; 4 weekly flights to these locales isn't going to blow anyone away. But... it's much better to get the service than not, and I think it's important that GSP get some of these type services, and hopefully we can support it; especially if we want to be able to justify more service from other airlines. I am guessing that these open us up to other connecting flights in their network?

https://www.wyff4.com/article/airports-cheapest-and-most-expensive-to-fly-from-rankings/43251158

Ouch. 4th most expensive airport in the country. This is a good example of why it' important to get more service here; competition helps reduce prices. Getting into another airlines network can only help, even if it's just a little.

It's why I flew from AVL last year to DIA instead of from GSP. AVL was hundreds of dollars cheaper on Allegiant. We need more competition and service to help bring down costs.

Edited by distortedlogic

14 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I get it, not really what I was hoping for either; 4 weekly flights to these locales isn't going to blow anyone away. But... it's much better to get the service than not, and I think it's important that GSP get some of these type services, and hopefully we can support it; especially if we want to be able to justify more service from other airlines. I am guessing that these open us up to other connecting flights in their network?

I thought it was going to be six times a week. I’m depressed now. :( I really wish Frontier would come back with their flights to Denver and Las Vegas.

You can connect through Orlando and New Haven but who would want to connect through Tweed? That airport isn’t exactly on the same scale as GSP in terms of size or amenities. Heck, it’s not even on the same scale as Florence. :lol: 

Edited by gman430

6 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I thought it was going to be six times a week. I’m depressed now. :( I really wish Frontier would come back with their flights to Denver and Las Vegas.

You can connect through Orlando and New Haven but who would want to connect through Tweed? That airport isn’t exactly on the same scale as GSP in terms of size or amenities. Heck, it’s not even on the same scale as Florence. :lol: 

Ditto on Frontier.

Admittedly I know nothing about HVN. I just looked and it only had 459k total passengers 12 months ending 8/22. I am guessing just about all of that was Avelo. Strange airport to have a hub for sure. I still think it's better to be in a new network than not but we'll have to see what happens I guess. It may be a tough sell.

This is not meant to knock another airport but just to point out some perspective. I know we get frustrated b/c places like CHS and AVL have more options than GSP but it works the other way as well. We are doing considerably better than places like Huntsville and Chattanooga and even have more destinations than Birmingham.  Poor CAE currently flies to just 7 cities regularly (8 airports). They will get Miami back in June but only seasonally. They only have 3 airlines currently; AA, Delta, and Uni. CAE may the the only airport in a worse location than us. We have ATL/CLT/AVL to compete with; they have ATL/CLT and CHS. 7 cities is shockingly low.

Year-Round Nonstop Destinations

American Airlines

Charlotte
Chicago
*Beginning July 2023
Dallas/Ft. Worth
New York (LaGuardia)
*Beginning May 2023
Philadelphia
Washington, D.C. (Reagan)

Delta Air Lines

Atlanta
New York (LaGuardia)

United Airlines

Chicago
Washington, D.C. (Dulles)

Seasonal Nonstop Destinations

American Airlines

Miami
*June 3 – August 12, 2023

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

Take a look at PTI Airport also: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Triad_International_Airport

All they have is the legacy carriers and Allegiant. Notice no Southwest, Avelo, or Silver. Less destinations overall also like no Denver or Houston with United. Ouch. 

Both garages and economy lot over 90% full again: https://gspairport.com/parking/ And this is before these new destinations and increased flights ramp up over the next few months. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the airport open the new economy lot here shortly. 

Edited by gman430

7 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

What happens in Sept, are these seasonal flights or does that mean they will reassess at that time?

I agree it's kinda "meh" for now, really only one new destinations, but these are the main hubs of a growing airline so there may be potential going forward for additional service or destinations. Plus, any service is probably good service.

I may have missed this before, do you work for the airport?

Not seasonal. They just haven’t extended the schedule past Labor Day yet. 

He works for United at GSP I believe. 

• Like 1

For anybody wondering about Orlando overlap: 

Silver flies on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

Avelo flies on Wednesday and Saturday going to Monday and Friday. 

No overlap there to MCO. All different days. 

Allegiant like Silver flies on Sunday and Thursday but it’s to a different airport. Allegiant and Silver have already proven that both of them can be successful here with flights to Orlando on the same days. 

Edited by gman430

10 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I think they really are undersized. When I flew there last year the airport was standing room only when I got off the plan. I was shocked at how small the airport is, especially compared to the number of passengers. There were a number of other passengers on my flight from the upstate as well so this isn't all AVL peeps and tourists. I am sure the airport was dirty b/c there are too many people in too small a space with too little staff.

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

I think they really are undersized. When I flew there last year the airport was standing room only when I got off the plan. I was shocked at how small the airport is, especially compared to the number of passengers. There were a number of other passengers on my flight from the upstate as well so this isn't all AVL peeps and tourists. I am sure the airport was dirty b/c there are too many people in too small a space with too little staff.

It'll be even worse for the next 3-5ish years while they close down portions of the airport and move gates to temporary trailers while they execute their $230million project modernization project doubling the airport size. 

After

The number of initial bookings for New Haven is looking good. I see that route being successful. Orlando though is a different story. Very few bookings so far for that route. :( I honestly won’t be surprised if Avelo cuts MCO like Frontier and Southwest did. We shall see. Nashville or Las Vegas would have been a better option. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Delta adds a third daily flight to Detroit soon looking at how full both planes are going out. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 2

Probably the only time you will see an Avelo plane at GSP. I imagine they will pack and up leave before service is even supposed to start. They definitely will be cutting Orlando if nothing else. It doesn’t appear a single seat is even booked on the first flight out yet. Sad that people living here aren’t supporting this new airline. 

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Probably the only time you will see an Avelo plane at GSP. I imagine they will pack and up leave before service is even supposed to start. They definitely will be cutting Orlando if nothing else. It doesn’t appear a single seat is even booked on the first flight out yet. Sad that people living here aren’t supporting this new airline. 

Yes it's the peoples fault for the airline booking a dumb route

7 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Yes it's the peoples fault for the airline booking a dumb route

How is it a dumb route? Silver added flights to MCO due to demand. I have relatives that live in Orlando so I am happy with this new service. I’d much rather fly Avelo on a 737 than Silver on a turboprop. 

Edited by gman430

7 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

If people aren't booking tickets, then it's a dumb route. Capitalism at work

Still got a few months. We will see what happens. People are booking Silver so maybe it’s just a lack of advertising. Most people probably don’t even know about this new airline coming. Hopefully GSP launches a major campaign shortly. 

Also, there is no funding in the House version of the state budget for GSP or CHS. However, the budget still has to go to the Senate and then to a conference committee in May before it goes to the governor for vetoes, so there is still a ways to go before anything is final. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

People are booking Silver so maybe it’s just a lack of advertising. Most people probably don’t even know about this new airline coming. Hopefully GSP launches a major campaign shortly. 

I think this is probably most of the issue.  Granted I dont have local tv news, but ouside of the forum I haven't heard anything about it. Nothing on the radio, nobody mentioning it or anything.  I doubt the average Joe or Jane knows anything about it, plus Avelo is not well known yet to most people either. 

11 hours ago, GVLer said:

I am not seeing Avelo flights show up on Google Flights or Expedia. ....that cannot be good for gaining traction. 

I just checked Google flights for Orlando out of GSP on the days Avelo flies and I see them listed. Didn’t check Expedia though. 

Gonna be a busy day at GSP. Checked the seating charts and this is what I saw for the legacy carrier flights leaving the airport on March 17th: 

American Airlines-

Philadelphia: All flights except for one at least 90% full. The one is at least 85% full. 

Dallas: Sold Out

Miami: Sold Out

Charlotte: All flights except for one at least 90% full. The one is at least 85% full. 

Washington DC: All flights except for one at least 90% full. The one is at least 85% full. 

Chicago: Sold Out 

Delta-

Detroit: All flights at least 90% full

Atlanta: All flights at least 90% full or Sold Out

New York City: All flights at least 80% full

United-

Chicago: All flights at least 85% full

Denver: Flight is at least 90% full 

Houston: Flight is at least 90% full 

Newark: All flights at least 90% full or Sold Out 

One of the Atlanta flights today and the Houston flight on Saturday appear to be sold out with Southwest also. 

Edited by gman430