GSP International

gvillenative

Both garages and economy lot 2 now at or over 95% full. Less than 150 spots remaining total between the three. March 2019 passenger record is in serious jeopardy. This is all before Southwest and American expand at GSP along with Avelo starting service also. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Wonder how better public transit to the airport would impact parking volumes... I'd certainly use it in most cases. 

I also park at the airport if I'm renting a car for a long business trip and would stop doing that as well.

Public transit to airports is mostly used by people who work at the airport.  But I’d sure use it as well.  Probably public transit wouldn’t get more than 5% or 10% of total airport traffic but that surely would help.

For January 2023, passenger traffic was 92.0% of 2019 traffic levels. Preliminary passenger numbers for February 2023 are at a 94.8% recovery level. In January 2023 passenger traffic reflects a 27.6% increase over the same month in 2022. Passenger load factors were up 26.9% for the month, at an average of 74.2%. GSP expects passenger numbers to match or surpass the record 2019 numbers by mid-Spring 2023.

Parking garage slated to start construction in January 2024 with completion in January 2026. $114 million total. Original price tag in 2019 was $75 million. Inflation for you. Contractor selection to take place April-December 2023. RFP to be issued next month if commission approves moving forward this month which it looks like they will. Rental car companies are asking the airport to move forward with it also so they can continue to expand. 

Providing a look forward into the service levels for April 2023 is a schedule comparison for the month vs the same month last year, including flights and seats by airline and non- stop markets served. Currently, in the schedules, GSP flights are down at 3.6%, and seats are up by 16.6%. Airlines adding bigger planes and Contour leaving is the reason for the flights being down. Chart for April:

7D720394-B278-4BBB-86F4-691675CBD394.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

The project includes a new parking deck and two double helix ramps. The deck will house QTA (Quick Turn Around), RR (Ready Return), CSB (Customer Service Bay) and 2 levels of public parking with associated sitework. The deck is a precast concrete structure enclosed with precast spandrel, curtain wall and metal panel details. 676,869 square feet. Renderings: 

F7C6C593-113C-48FB-9E0D-DD64CE814DF0.jpeg

0C39050F-FDBB-42B1-85BD-A91927DA6342.jpeg

EC3058DB-ADAA-4D4B-A483-73EB5DCD4C9F.jpeg

2F32517C-A2BC-4173-8128-3D50D9957E4F.jpeg

4796D7BC-E63C-45FB-9CD1-DD61656380E2.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, gman430 said:

For January 2023, passenger traffic was 92.0% of 2019 traffic levels. Preliminary passenger numbers for February 2023 are at a 94.8% recovery level. In January 2023 passenger traffic reflects a 27.6% increase over the same month in 2022. Passenger load factors were up 26.9% for the month, at an average of 74.2%. GSP expects passenger numbers to match or surpass the record 2019 numbers by mid-Spring 2023.

Parking garage slated to start construction in January 2024 with completion in January 2026. $114 million total. Original price tag in 2019 was $75 million. Inflation for you. Contractor selection to take place April-December 2023. RFP to be issued next month if commission approves moving forward this month which it looks like they will. Rental car companies are asking the airport to move forward with it also so they can continue to expand. 

Providing a look forward into the service levels for April 2023 is a schedule comparison for the month vs the same month last year, including flights and seats by airline and non- stop markets served. Currently, in the schedules, GSP flights are down at 3.6%, and seats are up by 16.6%. Airlines adding bigger planes and Contour leaving is the reason for the flights being down. Chart for April:

7D720394-B278-4BBB-86F4-691675CBD394.jpeg

@ 325K passengers for this Jan/Feb, which is about 50k more than last year, but still 50k short of 2020; the last months before the shutdown.  Those months also included Frontier. Good to see some bigger planes but AA really went down on flights to DFW and MIA. Not sure we get to 2019 numbers yet but 2.5MM should be a possibility this year. I think were were headed for 3MM by 2021 the way it was growing before, especially if we had kept Frontier.  Might be more like 2026 -2028 now.  Hopefully we get Breeze by then. Good to see us headed in the right direction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

@ 325K passengers for this Jan/Feb, which is about 50k more than last year, but still 50k short of 2020; the last months before the shutdown.  Those months also included Frontier. Good to see some bigger planes but AA really went down on flights to DFW and MIA. Not sure we get to 2019 numbers yet but 2.5MM should be a possibility this year. I think were were headed for 3MM by 2021 the way it was growing before, especially if we had kept Frontier.  Might be more like 2026 -2028 now.  Hopefully we get Breeze by then. Good to see us headed in the right direction.

Agreed. If GSP can land just one other airline that flies full size planes like Frontier or Breeze then I can see them hitting that number by 2026 and maybe even sooner as long as the economy doesn’t slip into a recession. There are several Allegiant planes and a Breeze plane landing tonight at the airport by the way due to the basketball tournament. 

Still concerned with lack of seats booked for Orlando with Avelo. However, New Haven bookings appear to be filling in very nicely. Over 30 paid seats booked already for the first flight out of GSP and flights don’t start for another three months. 

Edited by gman430

I did outbound flights a few days ago. Now let’s see just how bad it is for today March 24th with flights coming inbound into GSP.

Delta:

Atlanta: Two of the seven flights are sold out. The other five are 91%, 99%, 95%, 99%, and 98% full. 

Detroit: Both flights are sold out. 

New York: Two of the three flights are sold out. Third flight is 92% full. 

American: 

Charlotte: Three of the seven flights are sold out. The other four are 99%, 83%, 94% and 99% full. 

Chicago: Flight is sold out. 

Dallas: Both flights are sold out. 

Miami: Flight is 81% full. 

Philadelphia: One flight is 85% full and the other one is 96% full. 

Washington DC: Two of the three flights are sold out. Third one is 85% full. 

United:

Chicago: One of the flights is 90% full and the other one is 89% full. 

Denver: Flight is 97% full. 

Houston: Flight is 81% full. 

Newark: One of the three flights is sold out. The other two are 89% and 79% full. 

Southwest:

Atlanta: One of the two flights is sold out. 

Allegiant:

St. Pete/Clearwater: The flight is 97% full. 

Fort Lauderdale: The flight is 97% full.

Edited by gman430

Oh cool! With an AA interline agreement I'm wondering if GSP and RDU will actually have direct flights? Surprised they wouldn't just connect out of Charlotte.

YTZ is an interesting airport... it's a little island right adjacent to downtown Toronto.

Their website says they are planning daily flights between YTZ and Chicago/Philly.. so wondering if a lot of these destinations are funneling through those two

Edited by NewlyUpstate

9 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Oh cool! With an AA interline agreement I'm wondering if GSP and RDU will actually have direct flights? Surprised they wouldn't just connect out of Charlotte.

YTZ is an interesting airport... it's a little island right adjacent to downtown Toronto.

Their website says they are planning daily flights between YTZ and Chicago/Philly.. so wondering if a lot of these destinations are funneling through those two

These flights would be non-stop direct to YTZ out of GSP from what I am seeing on the chart: 

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZjk0M2Q4NmEtMjVhMC00MGQyLWE5MDAtOGQxNzk3ZmU1NGE5IiwidCI6ImJhNzNmYjViLWM1ZWUtNGNiNy04NzFjLWU4YjI0NWQwYjY3YiJ9

Not surprised at all with YTZ over YYZ. Start up and low cost carriers tend to go to the secondary airport of a city rather than the main one. Will be interesting for sure to see how the interline agreement with AA works out if that part is true and comes to fruition. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

News article on this new airline: https://www.narcity.com/6-things-to-know-about-new-airline-billy-bishop-airport-flights-taking-off-soon

They want to start initial service in May. 42 slots secured for daily flights out of YTZ already. Flights on Dash 8-Q400. The aircraft will be set in a two-cabin configuration with 26 seats in its premium cabin and another 48 seats in its economy class. Be aware the article was written and posted before the newest routes were leaked.

79CE29A7-A04D-45EC-8FF6-377C1C25F35B.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

I just realized Charleston doesn’t have any international service. Could GSP do the unthinkable and actually have international service while CHS doesn’t? I’m really shocked they don’t have Air Canada. In fact, GSP would be the only airport in the state to have international service if this new airline works out. 

Oh and I see Delta is really struggling at GSP: 

B5D9AFE7-236A-4367-A9DD-4A0793F9C102.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

I just realized Charleston doesn’t have any international service. Could GSP do the unthinkable and actually have international service while CHS doesn’t? I’m really shocked they don’t have Air Canada. In fact, GSP would be the only airport in the state to have international service if this new airline works out. 

Oh and I see Delta is really struggling at GSP: 

B5D9AFE7-236A-4367-A9DD-4A0793F9C102.jpeg

CHS had British Airways prior to COVID if I'm not mistaken, I guess such a route was unsustainable. If we do indeed land our first international flight to Toronto, I'd love to see our marketing department work their magic in Canada as well to show we're a desirable (and warm) location to travel. 

1 hour ago, GVLover said:

CHS had British Airways prior to COVID if I'm not mistaken, I guess such a route was unsustainable. If we do indeed land our first international flight to Toronto, I'd love to see our marketing department work their magic in Canada as well to show we're a desirable (and warm) location to travel. 

Yes. They had seasonal British Airways service and Covid pretty much ruined it like it did with Frontier here. Not sure if either one will ever come back. :( 

There are some fairly large metro areas throughout the country that don’t have any international service out of their airports including Oklahoma City, Louisville, Richmond, Omaha, Des Moines, Memphis, Boise, Albuquerque, and Birmingham. GSP would be one of the smallest metro areas in the country to have international service it looks like. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Ahem. Toronto was never a rumor. ;) Service slated to start in Summer 2023. Official website: https://www.connectairlines.com Rumor is interline agreement with American Airlines.

66ADBAC1-BFB6-49AD-8569-B39447CE5B0E.jpeg

I sure hope not.  Did you read the article about it?

Dash-8 propeller planes

The “premium” section on its planes looked like regular coach

Amenities include an overhead bin

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I sure hope not.  Did you read the article about it?

Dash-8 propeller planes

The “premium” section on its planes looked like regular coach

Amenities include an overhead bin

“For premium cabin customers, Connect will offer seats with a 35-inch pitch, seat selection, 2 free checked bags, a meal, free wine, and larger overhead bins. Mood LED lighting will be installed throughout the cabin. Food and drinks will be available for purchase for regular economy passengers also.” 

I don’t know about the legacy carriers but it at least sounds better than Allegiant, Silver, Avelo or Southwest to me. I imagine the interior product is going to look better than that crappy rendering on their website also. Hope so at least. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

“For premium cabin customers, Connect will offer seats with a 35-inch pitch, seat selection, 2 free checked bags, a meal, free wine, and larger overhead bins. Mood LED lighting will be installed throughout the cabin. Food and drinks will be available for purchase for regular economy passengers also.” 

I don’t know about the legacy carriers but it at least sounds better than Allegiant, Silver, Avelo or Southwest to me. I imagine the interior product is going to look better than that crappy rendering on their website also. Hope so at least. 

Meals in a box.  And turboprops.  No thanks.  AA and Delta are much better than that.

I flew "around" a tornado-laden thunderstorm on some sort of prop-jet thing. This was decades ago. Man o man, can I tell you about wind shear. By my count, about 80% of the people on the flight threw up, including the flight attendant. For real.

Never again.

• Like 1