GSP International

gvillenative

However, the good news always comes with the bad. Contour is leaving GSP: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221208-lfjan23bna That didn’t last long and honestly isn't surprising. Luckily, they were very small planes with very little weekly service so not a big loss IMO. They are currently only flying on Mondays and Fridays once a day with planes that only hold 30 people. 

Edited by gman430

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

GSP is the only airport that will be twice a day with this new service. Birmingham, Knoxville, Grand Rapids, Asheville, and Columbia are all only going to be once a day.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

However, the good news always comes with the bad. Contour is leaving GSP: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221208-lfjan23bna That didn’t last long and honestly isn't surprising. Luckily, they were very small planes with very little weekly service so not a big loss IMO. They are currently only flying on Mondays and Fridays once a day with planes that only hold 30 people. 

They should have been flying out of the downtown airport. 

7 hours ago, apaladin said:

They should have been flying out of the downtown airport. 

They shouldn’t have been flying at all. Southwest would be a lot more successful flying to Nashville from here due to name recognition and the fact you can actually connect to other destinations from Nashville with that carrier. You can’t do that with Contour. 

Contour has the lowest passenger fill rate out of any airline to any destination from GSP also. It’s a little over 70% while everybody else minus Silver is at least over 80% with most being around 90% or higher. United has the highest fill rate around 95% which is why they're adding bigger planes to several of their routes. 

Edited by gman430

On 10/30/2022 at 2:50 PM, distortedlogic said:

No, I still think it would be way better to have service with them. They're still a new airline trying to figure out how they fit but it would have been nice to have a few new destinations with them over the past year and going forward. I still hope they are able to provide some service in the future, but it seems its going to be tough for GSP to grow a ton.

In addition to San Francisco, Breeze is cutting Las Vegas and Los Angeles from Charleston at the beginning of January early next year. These all appear to be permanent. Ouch. Phoenix from Charleston is being cut from January 1st to February 7th also.

Edited by gman430

Delta will be increasing the number of flights and adding bigger planes to Atlanta starting the week of March 12th. This is right around the same time United will be adding bigger planes to GSP Airport also. The daily schedule for Delta to Atlanta is as follows:

Sunday-

Old: Two flights a day on 737-900 and five on 717-200 with 910 seats.

New: Two flights a day on 737-900, four on 737-800, and one on 717-200 with 1,110 seats. 

Monday, Thursday and Friday-

Old: Five flights a day on 717-200, one on 737-900 and one on 737-800  with 890 seats. 

New: Two flights a day on 737-900 and five on 737-800 with 1,160 seats. 

Tuesday and Wednesday-

Old: Four flights a day on 717-200, one on 737-800 and one on 737-900 with 780 seats. 

New: Four flights a day on 737-800 and two on 737-900 with 1,000 seats.

Saturday:

Old: Three flights a day on 717-200, one on 737-800, and one on 737-900 with 670 seats.

New: Four flights a day on 737-800 and two on 737-900 with 1,000 seats.

Number of total seats inbound or outbound-

Old: 5,810 per week.

New: 7,580 per week.

1,770 seats added per week/253 seats added per day.

Number of weekly flights inbound or outbound-

Old: 25 

New: 26

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Southwest will be adding a Houston flight on Sunday’s starting April 16th in addition to the Saturday one. A third Atlanta flight with Southwest on Sunday’s will also start on this day. 

American Airlines to Miami is going to year round from seasonal. 

Delta to Detroit will be going from no daily flights a day currently to once a day in the middle of January. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will be going to twice a day in the middle of April.

207,096 passengers for October 2022 which is the most since December 2019. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

From the Greenville News: 

Looking ahead, GSP plans to begin work in mid-January 2023 on its "terminal landside roadway improvement" project, to make curb and pedestrian upgrades to improve traffic flow in the terminal complex and lay the infrastructure for future growth and expansion, Cherry said.

The project includes a new terminal approach road around the north end of the future Garage C and Consolidated Rental Car facility site, which will boost the terminal frontage capacity for loading and unloading passengers.

"In January, we also expect to reopen our RJ Rockers Flight Room restaurant on B Concourse," Cherry said. "The restaurant was closed in 2020 due to the significant decrease in passenger activity resulting from the pandemic."

Also, in March 2023, United Airlines will increase the number of seats offered at GSP by 31% when the airline replaces smaller aircraft with larger mainline jets (between 126 seats and 179 seats) to Chicago, Denver and Houston and adds an additional daily flight to Newark, Cherry said.

Edited by gman430

AA to PHL going from twice a day on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday and once a day on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday to three times a day seven days a week starting the week of April 16th. Smaller planes but still more seats and flights added overall. 830 seats per week currently going to 1,050 seats per week outbound or inbound. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 1:33 PM, gman430 said:

From the Greenville News: 

Looking ahead, GSP plans to begin work in mid-January 2023 on its "terminal landside roadway improvement" project, to make curb and pedestrian upgrades to improve traffic flow in the terminal complex and lay the infrastructure for future growth and expansion, Cherry said.

The project includes a new terminal approach road around the north end of the future Garage C and Consolidated Rental Car facility site, which will boost the terminal frontage capacity for loading and unloading passengers.

"In January, we also expect to reopen our RJ Rockers Flight Room restaurant on B Concourse," Cherry said. "The restaurant was closed in 2020 due to the significant decrease in passenger activity resulting from the pandemic."

Also, in March 2023, United Airlines will increase the number of seats offered at GSP by 31% when the airline replaces smaller aircraft with larger mainline jets (between 126 seats and 179 seats) to Chicago, Denver and Houston and adds an additional daily flight to Newark, Cherry said.

The roadway improvement project is gonna be a headache come phase 2.   Phase 1 will basically be having the terminal entrance start down where the tower is.  Pax won't be affected by this part.  Phase 2 is where it gets dicey.  They will combine the new road from phase 1 with the existing entrance.  During this time the lanes where pax pickup and drop off currently is will all be closed for a couple months.  The pax drop off area will be around the area where currently the valet parking is and pax will have a little bit of a walk to get to the ticket counters.  Drivers will exit the drop off by hanging a left at parking garage B and then a quick right to the side road that heads towards parking garage A.   

Pretty sure you will see lots of confused people during this time.  Also, as this project gets underway the Airport will also start enforcing the pickup and drop off only rules.  No more pulling up and parking and waiting for people to come out when they land.  The waiting will need to be done in the cell phone lot.  The "move along" you hear from police at other airports will become a familiar voice at GSP as well.   All part of getting bigger!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Getting bigger? Frontier and Contour leaving GSP does not equal getting bigger. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. 

You yourself even worked the numbers.  The big 3 are adding tons of capacity. While it's nice to have some other leisure destination options from GSP,  the fact is these couple times a week discount operators are just a blip on the radar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rssgvegas said:

You yourself even worked the numbers.  The big 3 are adding tons of capacity. While it's nice to have some other leisure destination options from GSP,  the fact is these couple times a week discount operators are just a blip on the radar.

That is true. How do these legacy carriers expect to fill all of the additional seats they’re adding though? Are they expecting a big bump in tourists flowing through GSP? :dontknow: 

The Philly changed pissed me off because I paid $400 extra for a route with the shortest layover that left end of the day and got me to Madrid early morning.  Perfect flight.  Then they cancel that afternoon flight and add 10 hours of layover and won't refund me for which would have been a much cheaper flight combo and now I miss half a day of work as well.  I spent a bunch of time on the phone with them and they were not able to find a single flight combo that would allow me to leave Greenville late afternoon and arrive local time in the morning.  So now I am stuck with like a 14 hour layover.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, btoy said:

The Philly changed pissed me off because I paid $400 extra for a route with the shortest layover that left end of the day and got me to Madrid early morning.  Perfect flight.  Then they cancel that afternoon flight and add 10 hours of layover and won't refund me for which would have been a much cheaper flight combo and now I miss half a day of work as well.  I spent a bunch of time on the phone with them and they were not able to find a single flight combo that would allow me to leave Greenville late afternoon and arrive local time in the morning.  So now I am stuck with like a 14 hour layover.

My experience is that the call center people are pretty substandard at finding "most convenient" flights for a traveler, but are very willing to accommodate whatever requests you have.  I'd suggest you do your own research and look at as many different options as possible, such as connecting through different airports.  With a significant schedule change (be sure you use this language,  this phrase is actually a legal requirement for them to accommodate), you shouldn't have to pay for any increase in ticket price.  Sometimes it's even possible to get them to switch you to a different airline without raising cost, so don't rule out that either.

Google Flights is your friend.   When you call, be ready to give the person on the other end specific flight numbers, origin/destination details, and schedule times.  I've had a lot of success this way.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btoy said:

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

4 hours ago, btoy said:

While a 14 hour layover is too much, the biggest mistake travelers to Europe make is trying to have the shortest layover to their flight and not giving themselves enough time in case something happens.   Most everything to Europe leaves around dinner time.  A few are later at night, that's it.  There are no morning flights unless you are going to LHR, but that gets in so late it wont connect to anything.  So if you fly to a hub later in the day (esp to the PHL/NYC area)  you risk almost certain ATC delays and late arriving flights.  The downside is the next option is 24 hours later.   Best piece of advice to Europe is to book the late morning flight to the hub and give yourself plenty of time in case you hit a 1-2 hour delay.   People don't and then regret it later, trust me!

GSP is such a terrific airport:

1. Lots of amenities, including CLEAR and a great American Express lounge.

2. Spotlessly clean and new.

3. Not crowded, even in gate areas.

4. Decent number of direct destinations.

The only thing I’d like would be some kind of transit access, but that’s not something that the airport controls.

GSP is much more pleasant to use than the overcrowded pit called CLT.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, PuppiesandKittens said:

GSP is such a terrific airport:

1. Lots of amenities, including CLEAR and a great American Express lounge.

2. Spotlessly clean and new.

3. Not crowded, even in gate areas.

4. Decent number of direct destinations.

The only thing I’d like would be some kind of transit access, but that’s not something that the airport controls.

GSP is much more pleasant to use than the overcrowded pit called CLT.

#3. You should have been there this morning. Lol.

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

I wouldn’t know. :angry: My flight got cancelled and I couldn’t go on my trip. Stupid winter weather.

Yep 17 delays and 7 cancellations at gsp today. My daughter flew to Canada today and was supposed to get there at 11:55 this morning, She finally got there at 9 tonight after changing itinerary 3 times.