CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

I was downtown last night for a birthday gathering in the West End and parked on Main between RiverPlace (Michelin on Main store) and Spill the Beans. It's the first time I really noticed Townes Plaza; it's a neat small gathering spot and a nice touch for the building's presence along Main. I never noticed the Greenville "G" symbol on the manhole covers either; I thought that was neat. It really is the small details that go a long way into making a good impression.

I didn't realize this thread had been inactive for so long...

Glad you had the chance to discover some details of downtown! And, it sounds like you got a pretty darn good parking spot for a Friday night! Impressive! :)

Edited by GvilleSC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, we'll hear some more news about RiverPlace's expansion soon.

I hope so, too. I would definitely like to see even more artist oriented spaces along the river. A good casual dining restaurant wouldn't be bad, either. Those elements could be filled fairly easily, I think, but it's the upper floors that could prove to be the issue with progress...

I think a hotel might be the best option right now for a future building. There's two buildings at Riverplace with office space. I'm not sure what sort of vacancy they have, but Main @ Broad will bring office space online, as will Washington Square, though it's not currently under construction.

I'd be interested in seeing some solid facts about downtown residential units. Could that even be an option with the current downtown numbers and the economy? I don't know.

Is Riverplace on hold, or are they just deciding how to proceed? There is a huge difference between the two.

It's on hold. The developers were originally waiting for the city to get money to extend the parking garage. The city now has the money, but the developers have decided to wait on building the rest of the project until the economy improves.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hughes have purchased at least two parcels next to Riverplace. One being the large warehouse that had a electrical company in it that is bordered by Rhett, River and Camperdown and the other a smaller building adjacent to it on River Street. Looks like they are getting land for a phase 4.

The Hughes have purchased at least two parcels next to Riverplace. One being the large warehouse that had a electrical company in it that is bordered by Rhett, River and Camperdown and the other a smaller building adjacent to it on River Street. Looks like they are getting land for a phase 4.

Hmmm, that's interesting, but I would like to see the rest of Phase 2 completed and something cool happen with Phase 3 first.

Interesting. I think it's good to know that this is a viable parcel for development (with the willingness of the owners to sell). I wonder if this actually will be related at all to Riverplace in the end? Nonetheless, it's a prime plot of land for a mixed-use midrise!

Just because they are buying the parcels does not mean that the phases will be rearranged. Without a compeling reason, I doubt they would do so.

Is the warehouse parcel the one Tom Croft owned for the 8-floor condo building?

Whoever said phases would be rearranged? :huh: No, this site that Hughes has bought is across Rhett Street from that.

Interesting. I think it's good to know that this is a viable parcel for development (with the willingness of the owners to sell). I wonder if this actually will be related at all to Riverplace in the end? Nonetheless, it's a prime plot of land for a mixed-use midrise!

At least one parcel is in the name of Riverplace Office III, LLC c/o Hughes Investments.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. When is Phase 2 going to start, or is that not in the works currently?

I had heard October 2010 start date for phase 2, but this was several months ago so i'm not sure if that's still the case or not. The rest of the Riverplace project was on hold due to the economic recession and wouldn't be suprised if it still is.