What would you destroy?

btoy

I agree. Perhaps the site could be turned into a cultural venue or something, along with residential space.

That building has been unsightly for a while; the brown brick is just not up-to-date. Plus it's sort of far away from Main Street, and it's in an area of downtown that has traditionally not been very nice.

I'd think that people who work for BB&T would want to have the office move closer in to Main Street.

I disagree. I think the building looks much better than several others around town, and instead of tearing it down, I'd rather it be converted into retail and residential units (with a facelift). I'm not saying something else wouldn't look better on that spot, but it seems that this building is not nearly the highest priority to redevelop, IMO. This part of downtown is no longer undesireable either.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. I think the building looks much better than several others around town, and instead of tearing it down, I'd rather it be converted into retail and residential units (with a facelift). I'm not saying something else wouldn't look better on that spot, but it seems that this building is not nearly the highest priority to redevelop, IMO. This part of downtown is no longer undesireable either.

Certainly working with this building would be great, but it sits right in the middle of the darn block! If you built around it, then you'll cover it up-- might as well tear it down. That's a viable spot for 3 buildings atleast.

I would move the Greenville Transit Authority down to the current Amtrak site on

West Washington St.; then, tear down the old GTA building and construct a beautiful new Amtrak station on Augusta St... Amtrak would be a great addition to the West End.

I was driving on Augusta St. this weekend, down by the stadium--and I still think it would be a great idea to swap the GTA bus yard on Augusta St. with the current Amtrak Station and build a new Amtrak station on the current bus yard site.

Couldn't you just envision a sparkling new Amtrak station right there by the stadium? In my mind's eye it looks pretty good. (Maybe someone from the City will read this and go "hmmmmm...") :thumbsup:

I was driving on Augusta St. this weekend, down by the stadium--and I still think it would be a great idea to swap the GTA bus yard on Augusta St. with the current Amtrak Station and build a new Amtrak station on the current bus yard site.

Couldn't you just envision a sparkling new Amtrak station right there by the stadium? In my mind's eye it looks pretty good. (Maybe someone from the City will read this and go "hmmmmm...") :thumbsup:

I think that'd be a great idea but does the Norfolk Southern line go there? Is it another railroad's line or a Norfolk Southern branch, rather than the main Washington-Atlanta line? Nonetheless, I think it'd be good to do whatever it takes to move the train station closer in.

The current train station area used to be very nice, but then the whole area went to pot, I'd guess back in the '20s.

I think that'd be a great idea but does the Norfolk Southern line go there? Is it another railroad's line or a Norfolk Southern branch, rather than the main Washington-Atlanta line? Nonetheless, I think it'd be good to do whatever it takes to move the train station closer in.

The current train station area used to be very nice, but then the whole area went to pot, I'd guess back in the '20s.

That is the NS line, I believe. A freight train passes through regularly behind right field of the ballpark, so that would make the most sense. I like the idea of a new Amtrak station there though, that would be really hot. :shades:

I am hoping the City will eventually resurrect that part of town, so it won't have to be moved. There is great potential along West Washington Street, as was pointed out in the masterplan.

Is there a masterplan for Washington? that would be great, b/c that whole stretch from Academy to the post office is nothing but empty lots and old buildings (except the church).

• 5 months later...

How about a new 400+ ft tower or 500 footer?

I'd take it! :shades: I wouldn't mind seeing the American Legion War Museum relocated and torn down on the corner of North Main and Academy Streets. We need an anchor up that way, and like the ballpark it would be the perfect distance to be connected to the activity core that currently exists and also allow a good bit of infill in between.

I'd take it! :shades: I wouldn't mind seeing the American Legion War Museum relocated and torn down on the corner of North Main and Academy Streets. We need an anchor up that way, and like the ballpark it would be the perfect distance to be connected to the activity core that currently exists and also allow a good bit of infill in between.

How likely is it that the museum would move? Does anyone actually go to that museum? I picture a few old guys who show up to work there everyday, with nothing to do except when a few tourists decide to drop by out of curiosity. :lol:

How likely is it that the museum would move? Does anyone actually go to that museum? I picture a few old guys who show up to work there everyday, with nothing to do except when a few tourists decide to drop by out of curiosity. :lol:

Actually, I was saying "midrise" with the assumption the War Museum would saty there, but if it were to move, I am all for a 500 footer! I doubt the developer could fill it now, but hey, since we are dreaming :D

I think Heritage Green would be a good place for the museum to relocate to. It would be subject to far more foot traffic, and would make a nice compliment to the other museums there.

Also, I would tear down all the buildings on the right side of N Main (heading North), as you go to the corner with Stone Ave. All of those buildings are unsightly, and appear empty. They also follow a large bare spot. With those building gone, the space would be large enough for a really terrific development. Perhaps it would be a good spot for our 2 story Borders, along with a movie theater with about 3-4 screens and an Imax. Throw in some condo/apts, a couple of light retail, and we have something to bring the masses a little farther north. This would provide a much needed attraction for the North End, and continue to stretch DT. Put another something interactive (another unique fountain?) in the Park (Macphearson?) Just past stone, and we're in business.

I have thought about this as well. The city has already commited (eventually) to raze the Municipal Court building for residential development, so why not just go all the way to the corner. That museum can't be getting much traffic in it's current locattion.

One idea I have is to dedicate a significant portion of the proposed 'Cleveland Park West' park into a Memorial for 'local heores'. Columbia has a really attractive Veterans Memorial Park, it has monuments listing all the Richland County casualtiese of the major Wars. It is also the site of Memorial/Veterans Day events.

Something like that could be done as part of the new park, the museum could be relocated next to it as well. Another idea would be to do a memeorial for all the Firemen/Policemen/Troopers that have lost their lives in the line of duty.

Actually, I was saying "midrise" with the assumption the War Museum would saty there, but if it were to move, I am all for a 500 footer! I doubt the developer could fill it now, but hey, since we are dreaming :D

I think Heritage Green would be a good place for the museum to relocate to. It would be subject to far more foot traffic, and would make a nice compliment to the other museums there.

Also, I would tear down all the buildings on the right side of N Main (heading North), as you go to the corner with Stone Ave. All of those buildings are unsightly, and appear empty. They also follow a large bare spot. With those building gone, the space would be large enough for a really terrific development. Perhaps it would be a good spot for our 2 story Borders, along with a movie theater with about 3-4 screens and an Imax. Throw in some condo/apts, a couple of light retail, and we have something to bring the masses a little farther north. This would provide a much needed attraction for the North End, and continue to stretch DT. Put another something interactive (another unique fountain?) in the Park (Macphearson?) Just past stone, and we're in business.

The area (or the vast majority of it) you are referring to in in the Fred Collins Estate. It would be a prime spot for a major mixed-use project. Hopefully, we will see the property change hands in the next year or so. The city plans to streetscape all the way to Stone as well, although it might take a few years to get all the way to Stone.

The area (or the vast majority of it) you are referring to in in the Fred Collins Estate. It would be a prime spot for a major mixed-use project. Hopefully, we will see the property change hands in the next year or so. The city plans to streetscape all the way to Stone as well, although it might take a few years to get all the way to Stone.

Thank goodness! Greenville's downtown is very nice at its core, but the gateways to downtown (at least N. Main, Broad St., W. Washington and some parts near the West End) are ugly. I recall that the entrances to downtown have always been ugly, especially in the '70s and '80s, and have gotten slightly better with new development and streetscaping lately, but still!

Thank goodness! Greenville's downtown is very nice at its core, but the gateways to downtown (at least N. Main, Broad St., W. Washington and some parts near the West End) are ugly. I recall that the entrances to downtown have always been ugly, especially in the '70s and '80s, and have gotten slightly better with new development and streetscaping lately, but still!

When was the last time you were in downtown? Yea, some gateways need a lot of help (Academy, Church), but the others really aren't that bad in comparison.

Please elaborate then on your comment. I don't see the same problem that you see.

I just think the streets leading into downtown, and the developments along them, are unattractive, generally. N. Main between the BB&T Building and Stone Avenue is underdeveloped, with some aging, low-grade buildings (although a few nice ones). Broad St. has too many parking lots and unattractive buildings along it. W. Washington is just a bad area, with too many run-down and low-class buildings along it. The roads coming in from Poinsett Highway also have too many parking lots and cheap-looking buildings along them. The road coming in from I-385, past the law enforcement center, has just bland buildings along it.

I read a book called "Downtown", which stated in part that having high-density, nice downtowns typically means having surrounding areas of low-rent districts where activities complementary to downtown activities take place (e.g., car repair shops for downtown office workers). So I'd guess that areas surrounding downtown are not likely to be nice like downtown's core is; Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. are the same.

But still, these streets at least could be fixed up, with nice medians, attractive sidewalks, landscaping and the like along them, and given those areas' downtrodden appearances, the land cannot be extremely expensive; new construction there is probably relatively inexpensive. Fixing up those areas would probably help downtown development, as unsightly appearances probably turn off some people who thus prefer suburbia.

I agree with mallguy here. While adding a sign here and there is improvement, there are far greater additions which can be implemented to welcome visitors into our Downtown. North Main is not the worst, but it is far less appealing than the portion in the CBD. I am eager to witness the extention of the "Main Street feel" we all love so well. :thumbsup:

With the way that downtown is growing, I'd rather development take its course, rather than people intervening to put up an attractive 2 story building. I see like this: if these properties are prematurely developed, then the use will be less than its full potential. If you throw a building up on North Main, out of walkability range of today's downtown, then when downtown's core does reach that point, you've most likely lost out on street level retail and things that could have been capitalized on.

If people were really turned away by the entrance into downtowns, then Charleston's would be in serious trouble (as well as a lot of cities across the nation).

The #1 entrance into downtown which needs more work than any other IMO is the Poinsett Highway route, between Downtown and Furman University/Cherrydale.

Yes. The entrances to downtown that are outside of downtown like Poinsett Hwy need work, just like Church Street, and Academy/Easley Br Rd. But the "entrances" that are actually downtown like Broad and North Main are in a different boat and aren't really entrances to downtown.

Actually, I just remembered another entrance that is up there with Poinsett Highway; Church Street between Augusta Street and University Ridge. I would love to see all of the shacky-looking homes bulldozed and something attractive rebuilt in its place there. I am embarraced to direct people into town by that route, even though it is not very long.

Archived