What would you destroy?

btoy

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel the same resentment about this sign as others obviously do. I like how it adds life to an otherwise typical auto sales lot. I would actually prefer to see more video similar to the action broadcasted on the sign next to FOX Carolina along I-85. Very catchy. :shades:

The amount of light put out by the lot is excessive (including the sign and lot lighting). In our over-litigious society, I think it is only a matter of time until a car accident triggers a lawsuit holding the owners partially responsble.

Could you imagine if they put a picture of Jamie Simpson up there on that sign? That'd surely trigger at least one accident. :rofl:

Sorry, Skyliner. I'm usually with you on most things; however, I have to come down on the side of the fence here that would like to see that sign go. My initial reaction to it when returning home from the in-laws' house one evening after the dealership first opened was to put my hand up to block it out while trying to merge onto (the then under-construction) I-385 from the Roper Mountain Entrance Ramp. It was a MAJOR distraction to me, especially considering my already less-than-perfect eyesight.

If the interstate were properly lit, as we discussed earlier in another thread, I believe it would seem less obstructive. It seems that it is alone, because no other businesses are located in close proximity to the lot. It would have been great had they located on The Motor Mile instead, but they are on Congaree Road, and I doubt they'll move anytime soon. If we're going to talk about bright lights, then I would have to say that many of the headlights on the road are far more distracting/blinding than this sign is. And while on the subject, what about the incredibly brilliant lights used at all gas stations these days? I think it all comes down to the overall level of lighting in an area. If a lot is well-lit, but not surrounded by other well-lit buildings or roads, it will make a person's eye's strain. -_-

If the interstate were properly lit, as we discussed earlier in another thread, I believe it would seem less obstructive. It seems that it is alone, because no other businesses are located in close proximity to the lot. It would have been great had they located on The Motor Mile instead, but they are on Congaree Road, and I doubt they'll move anytime soon. If we're going to talk about bright lights, then I would have to say that many of the headlights on the road are far more distracting/blinding than this sign is. And while on the subject, what about the incredibly brilliant lights used at all gas stations these days? I think it all comes down to the overall level of lighting in an area. If a lot is well-lit, but not surrounded by other well-lit buildings or roads, it will make a person's eye's strain. -_-

Cruddy lighting is pretty much the rule in the Upstate. I just hope that at some point this will change. I know family members that come to the area always find it amusing that all the streets are dark and the parking lots are lit.

Cruddy lighting is pretty much the rule in the Upstate. I just hope that at some point this will change.
Travelers Rest has a light pollution ordinance: http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/07/2...03072110497.htm

Mauldin was considering one, but I don't know what happened after this: http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/11/0...03110618420.htm

Roper Mtn. has a group called Dark Skies Observing Group: http://www.rmastro.com/dsog.php

I'm actually not a Dark Skies advocate...at least not in the sense of being involved in any way more than reading about these things in the paper and thinking, "Hey, that makes sense to me..."

Here's a cool link: http://www.rmastro.com/lightpollution.php It shows the light pollution in the U.S. over 45-50 years. Roper Mountain has one of the largest telescopes in the eastern United States -- which is largely because, in this day and age, it's almost ludicrous to invest much in such a device when you can't see much with it. I've read about some of the predictions of when certain astronomical sights will disappear around here and it's pretty regrettable. I think seeing stars in the sky is much cooler than some garish highway signs. Ever wonder why people refer to "all the stars in the sky" when trying to refer to an unimaginably large number? It's because the people who say that have been in places where simply looking at the evening sky is a lesson in theology, philosophy and humility.

At the Roper Mtn. planetarium the show reveals the stars visible in Greenville with the naked eye. It's fuzzy and there's not much there. In several steps they make the room darker to levels you'd find in other places and it's amazing what people elsewhere get to see every night. Greenvillians get to see that you get a year's free gas if you buy a Dick Brooks Mitsubishi; people west of the Mississippi (in some places) get to see the Milky Way!

Even if I were to concede the Dick Brooks sign is "cool" compared to seeing the Milky Way, can someone tell me how many people found their true love or inspirational muse under the Dick Brooks sign?

DESTROY THE DICK BROOKS SIGN BEFORE IT DESTROYS US! (<--half joking)

Even if I were to concede the Dick Brooks sign is "cool" compared to seeing the Milky Way, can someone tell me how many people found their true love or inspirational muse under the Dick Brooks sign?

No, but now I know EXACTLY where I am going to propose to my future wife! Thanks, Fiddlestix! :thumbsup:

Travelers Rest has a light pollution ordinance: http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/07/2...03072110497.htm

Mauldin was considering one, but I don't know what happened after this: http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/11/0...03110618420.htm

I played a role in both of them. Both Mauldin and TR have a lighting ordinance. Mauldin's is probably better, as it requires lighting to be certified by a lighting professional, as opposed to being reviewed by city staff. Fountain Inn, Greer, and Simpsonville are all working on design ordinances... I think there is some thought being put into whether to include some provisions dealing with lighting in those ordinances, but I'm not sure.

Fortunately I know where to go to view the vast expanse of the starry night sky. The best locations are in the foothills, away from the city. A city needs lights at night.
The problem is that the light from the city is screwing up the view you're talking about. You're not going to see the Milky Way from Greenville if you get good light pollution controls in place, but you just MIGHT be able to see it when you do go to those foothills. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time. So, why should Greenville control light pollution when it will be Hendersonville or Brevard or Walhalla that will benefit? Because that's where people, like you, from Greenville would go and expect to see the cosmos. Without such controls, you have to get on a plane to the Great Plains...and by then your date will have sobered up....

Here's the view about 40 years ago and today, both taken from about the same location:

goodbad.jpg

And, 38 miles away from Springfield, MA -- in those foothills you would go to, here's what you'd get, because of those lights in the city that go every which way:

ahlitpol.jpg

Lighting the ground is important. Lighting the sky, not so much. Any wife who tells her husband to stop standing in front of the refrigerator and cool the entire kitchen, and any parent who tells their kids to close the front door because we don't need to heat the whole neighborhood understands the absurd inefficiency of this. It's a huge waste of energy and money to have lights that are not carefully directed and without reflectors that redirect light back to the place we intend to light. If we did pest control the way we light our cities, we'd be tossing hand grenades into our homes. Yes, having big mofo lights will do the job...and then some.

BY THE WAY: Props to me...on the occasion of my first pictures linked and posted (that actually appear) on Urban Planet!

A city needs lights at night.

I don't think that anyone is arguing otherwise, including the Dark Sky folks. Lighting is fine, it just needs to be done smarter. We have an observatory at Roper Mountain. The usefulness of that observatory has been degraded by haphazard lighting nearby. "Good lighting" does not equal "no lighting."

Just an FYI... the design ordinance for Fountain Inn does include a lighting ordinance that mirrors the one for Mauldin. Greer's includes the same provision. Fountain Inn's ordinance has been passed, Greer is considering it right now. Simpsonville is still in the preliminary stages of a design ordinance that will probably include lighting.

• 3 months later...

It seems like someone may have mentioned this before but not sure. I would tear down the BB&T drive through branch just off of E North and Academy, across from the old American Federal building (jsut south of heritage green). There is a rather large space there with nothing but the drive through, and a lot of parking spaces. This would be perfect for a residential/mixed use mid rise community development. Have a square of 5-10 story appt/retail buildings with a courtyard in the middle.

Well at least the sign is still up. :silly:

I know this was previously mentioned, but I think it is now time for The Palmetto Bank to move into a new tower in the same general vicinity. I also want to see the vacant blocks nearby turned into high density developments with lots of highly-attractive street-level retail and residential options somewhere above.

Well at least the sign is still up. :silly:

I know this was previously mentioned, but I think it is now time for The Palmetto Bank to move into a new tower in the same general vicinity. I also want to see the vacant blocks nearby turned into high density developments with lots of highly-attractive street-level retail and residential options somewhere above.

You may get part of your wish.

I'd like to see the BB&T building across from Heritage Green torn down. (formerly First Federal). It's a prime spot and should be home to more than ONE building. That triangle would be great for a flat iron building of sorts. Residential there would be ideal, since it's across from Heritage Green and it would really help spur that link to Main Street that the city has been trying to get....

I'd like to see the BB&T building across from Heritage Green torn down. (formerly First Federal). It's a prime spot and should be home to more than ONE building. That triangle would be great for a flat iron building of sorts. Residential there would be ideal, since it's across from Heritage Green and it would really help spur that link to Main Street that the city has been trying to get....

I agree. Perhaps the site could be turned into a cultural venue or something, along with residential space.

That building has been unsightly for a while; the brown brick is just not up-to-date. Plus it's sort of far away from Main Street, and it's in an area of downtown that has traditionally not been very nice.

I'd think that people who work for BB&T would want to have the office move closer in to Main Street.

Archived