Richmond Developments

Cotuit

#3. I thought both Norva and Premier were dance clubs as well as concert halls. Our friend vdogg could clarify that and describe both venues. Aren't Toads and National going to offer dancing as well as concerts? If not, why will they replace the raked auditorium at National with a flat floor?

Isn't the State Theatre in Nova a similar type operation? And since you mention C'ville Pavillion, how about Wolftrap? What about Birchmere in Alexandria. There are any number of fixed-seat halls in DC besides the Warner. And in Hampton Roads, there's the Virginia Beach amphitheatre and another in Porrtsmouth. Norfolk has Chrysler Hall and the Roper Theatre, and what ever happened to The Boathouse? There's also the beautiful new Ferguson Hall at Christopher Newport in Newport News, and let's not forget the American Theatre in Phoebus (Hampton).

To clarify about your discussion of performing venues in Hampton Roads:

The Norva has virtually no direct competition in the area for shows of the size and caliber it presents. The Granby Theater shows films and presents concerts that stay more in the jazz/blues/classical range, generally more low key; on Friday and Saturday nights it becomes Premiere Norfolk, a high-end dance club. Ferguson, Chrysler and Roper Halls, and the Harrison Opera House are all more or less like Richmond's Landmark: that is, they focus on theater, dance, classical music and other various stage performances, but usually not big, loud concerts. Hampton's American Theater is essentially the same. Portsmouth's amphitheater has a similar seating capacity as the Norva, but it's usually pretty easy to determine what kind of band would prefer an outdoor versus an indoor venue. Virginia Beach's amphitheater is huge compared to all the rest, so again it brings in a totally different kind of show - in this case, big arena concerts. And the Boathouse, unfortunately, does not exist anymore - it was destroyed several years ago in a hurricane.

Edited by gosscj

Gosscj, I really appreciate your input here and thank you for contributions. The explanations of venues in HR is illuminating as well as helpful to this discussion. Since the Warner with fixed seating in DC had been mentioned, I brought up the names of other similar facilities. We will have the open floor Toad's Place and The National, each capable of handling 1500 persons, as well as real theatres. The Carpenter Center with 2000 seats (on line in 2009) and The Landmark, capacity 3600, primarily house ballet, opera and Broadway shows. But both have frequent one-night bookings of musicians, singers and comics. The Canal Club and Alley Katz each has space for about 700, and there are several 500+ capacity theatres in the area, though they seldom book "Norva/Premier" style attractions.

Do not Norva and Premier compete for similar clientele on week-end nights?

Edited by burt

The Canal Club and Alley Katz each has space for about 700, and there are several 500+ capacity theatres in the area, though they seldom book "Norva/Premier" style attractions.

Do not Norva and Premier compete for similar clientele on week-end nights?

I don't have time to respond to everything right now (should be working...) but: Alley Katz capacity is 400ish, and Canal Club is 550ish.

Premier gets a dance-club crowd on weekends, Norva gets a live band crowd, both of which are different animals. The degree of difference depends on what sort of band Norva's hosting.

I was looking at RCW today at the high rise tower list and I noticed that the Dominion Resources James River Tower (which received tons of controvery several years back) has not been built yet. Is there a reason why? I know that they still are using the large office in Innsbrook, but have they not built the new one because they are waiting to sell the other building in Innsbrook or what? Anyone have any new news on this? The proposed tower wasn't going to be all that attractive (kinda reminded me of stacked blocks that form a pyramid), but I can't believe it's not built yet! They've had this one in the works for a good while now. Hmmm....

Oh boy, this could be very good news! I hope Mclaw's sources are right. I think I remember them saying that an announcement would be made within the month.

Over at RCW there is a post of Wilder's Visions for the Future e-mail verbatim.

At the end of Wilder's statement, someone has added that just as he snubbed Roche Pharmaceudicals when in the Governor's chair, he twice ignored a delegation from Mead/Westvaco when they came to discuss a possible location in the city.

Though I have posted the e-mail interspersed with my comments elsewhere, you might be interested in reading a submission at RCW under City Issues. Hit the "Wilder to City: Drop Dead" thread and see Henry's post dated today at 3:32PM. I believe Henry lifted it from River City Rapids.

Edited by burt

From RCW (special thanks to Ryan Ramsey), here is a rendering of the Westin Hotel at Reynolds Crossing:

http://richmondcitywatch.com/modules/galle..._serialNumber=1

Eric, it's nice to see a larger rendering, but our very own Downtowner (Joey) posted a smaller identical one on the Richmond Suburban Development thread, page 23, dated Sept. 4 at 3:15pm. So Joey scooped Ryan. :)

They compete for a similar demographic but with completely different offerings.

gosscj, if you (or anyone else) want(s) to see Toad's Place, go to Vistas on the James thread and find Wrldcoupe4's entry dated yesterday (Sept. 6) at 12:15PM. Hit his link to Vistas Live, then when that strip at the bottom comes up, scroll to Lady Bird. The big building you see is Toad's. I finally figured out how to operate the live video! It has great views of Vistas under construction and city views as it swivels around.

Also, gosscj, I sent coupe via snail mail a couple of pictures of The National's exterior and interior. He's going to post them when they arrive, so keep an eye peeled. :)

Edited by burt

I guess the TD is moving its Building Permits from Sundays to Saturdays. Anyway, that's where I found it today. Not much to report except this:

Historic Richmond Theatre, owner; Daniel & Co., Inc., contractor. 700 East Broad Street. Demolish stage, $200,000.

DEMOLISH THE STAGE???? I didn't think they would go that far in refitting the National theatre! :cry:

Another item:

2Street Development, LLC. 112 East Clay Street. Adaptive reuse for 12 residential units and one or two office/retail spaces.

Edited by burt

Tommy, I want you to do me a favor, please. Go to Section B (Metro) of the hard copy of today's TD and look for a teaser at the top promising a committee report on fund raising for the Carpenter Center. It is not in the on-line version, and I understand that the story is promised on a certain page. However, my friend says she cannot find it. Will you scan every section and let me know if you see it?

And where are your pictures of yesterday's trip? In that obscure place I always forget how to get to? :lol:

Did you get a chance to take the Scotland/Jamestown ferry across the James?

Tommy, I want you to do me a favor, please. Go to Section B (Metro) of the hard copy of today's TD and look for a teaser at the top promising a committee report on fund raising for the Carpenter Center. It is not in the on-line version, and I understand that the story is promised on a certain page. However, my friend says she cannot find it. Will you scan every section and let me know if you see it?

And where are your pictures of yesterday's trip? In that obscure place I always forget how to get to? :lol:

Did you get a chance to take the Scotland/Jamestown ferry across the James?

Ill see what I can do about the paper :thumbsup:

Haha, theyre in the Virginia Forum. I didnt get a chance to. I did however get down to the Smithfield Marina though :)

Burt, Ive looked all over for a copy of the Sunday paper, and havent found one left. I went to the Market in Tobacco Row, Twin Hickory Town Center, a couple of Starbucks' and not one had a copy left. Does anyone else have a copy of the Sunday paper?

You meant you drove all the way to the Bottom to look for a RTD?!!! I'm so sorry for sending you on such a trip; I was sure that you and your family were subscribers.

Well, maybe you shot some pics while you were on the scavenger hunt. :)

Thanks, and sorry.

You meant you drove all the way to the Bottom to look for a RTD?!!! I'm so sorry for sending you on such a trip; I was sure that you and your family were subscribers.

Well, maybe you shot some pics while you were on the scavenger hunt. :)

Thanks, and sorry.

Oh, dont be sorry. I enjoyed the drive :D I actually didnt think to pull out my camera while I was there though.

Per Burt's request, here are some shots of the National Theatre from 1981:

Nice

Scan0001.jpg

(I'm going to try to redo this one)

NationalTheatre003.jpg

3-29-01national_story.jpg

And some others I came across:

NR_Richmond_RichmondTheatre_127-0178-1_Photo_2.jpg

NR_Richmond_RichmondTheatre_127-0178-1_Photo_3.jpg

NR_Richmond_RichmondTheatre_127-0178-1_Photo_1.jpg

Lobby:

interiorlobby.gif

interiorlobbypic.gif

And as an aside, I came across this picture labeled "National Theatre, Richmond, VA" but it sure doesn't look like the same place.... any ideas Burt?

national.jpg

Also, it seems there is a new highrise proposal floating around that would be between Rockett's Landing and Tobacco Row. To quote JSI from RCW that quoted a Church Hill newsletter:

At its August 28th meeting the Church Hill Zoning Committee heard a presentation by USP Development LLC of its proposed development south of Dock Street on the northern bank of the James River between the Great Shiplock Park and the cement towers. As proposed, the $215 million mixed use development consists of between 244 and 260 units averaging ~1800 square feet with none being smaller than 1200 square feet and the largest no more than 4400 square feet. The units are expected to sell for ~$400 per square foot. The development as proposed will include two ~350

Also, it seems there is a new highrise proposal floating around that would be between Rockett's Landing and Tobacco Row. To quote JSI from RCW that quoted a Church Hill newsletter:

At its August 28th meeting the Church Hill Zoning Committee heard a presentation by USP Development LLC of its proposed development south of Dock Street on the northern bank of the James River between the Great Shiplock Park and the cement towers. As proposed, the $215 million mixed use development consists of between 244 and 260 units averaging ~1800 square feet with none being smaller than 1200 square feet and the largest no more than 4400 square feet. The units are expected to sell for ~$400 per square foot. The development as proposed will include two ~350

Sorry sorry sorry Tommy, this is what Church Hill residents, particularly Libby Hill residents are steamed over. they do not want their river view from Libby Hill Park obstructed more than it is. I am also against it.

I didnt realize it would be in an area that would block their riverview. My mistake, Im not quite familiar with that area. When I read it, my eyes skipped to the part that read 3 highrises, 18, 14, and 10 stories.