Richmond Developments

Cotuit

The State still owns them was the last I had heard.

And, Joey, theState is not about to give them up. The plan has been to demolish Murphy's Hotel (this explains my confusion when you first said G.C. Murphy) and to renovate the far more appealing Richmond Hotel. A new 20+ story tower will replace Murphy's and be occupied by State employees. I wouldn't hold my breath on incorporating much of Murphy's facade into the new building, but perhaps the new developers could imitate portions of the old hotel in their designs.

Shak, any activity across the street at The National yet?

Well I am glad to hear that their will be another new Office Tower even though the state is gonna own it. Now I understand all of this now thanks for explaining burt.

:) Don't take my word for it, Joey, because I'm an old man and sometimes make things up :lol: . However, I'm pretty sure the new tower has been seriously discussed for the Murphy site.

Just heard some pretty big news on NBC 12 about the 8th street office bulding and the 9th st office building I think one of them were either the GC Murphy buliding or the Richmond Hotel I forget which. But anyways two different developers have been bidding on these two structures they both tend to renovate one and then demolish the other and create a new Office Tower. :yahoo:

This means VCU and U of R are not going to do anything with them.

Joey,

According to the state budget for FY 07-08 (ITEM C-7.10.), $9.5 million has been appropriated for:

a. Architectural and engineering work, through

production of final working drawings for renovation of

the 9th Street Office Building and replacement of the

8th Street Office Building, as described in paragraph 2

of this item;

b. Demolition of the 8th Street Office Building. After

receipt of architectural and engineering work as

specified in paragraph 1. a. of this item, a contract for

demolition of the 8th Street Office Building shall be

executed anddemolition initiated no later than

December 1, 2006.

The project is one of high priority to the state.

From a presentation on Various scenarios for this project:

Recommendations of the Virginia Capitol Master Plan:

Would the 7 stories you have highlighted be atop a Murphy facade/ atrium? Wouldn't that be something!! We'd save the old look and get a new 19 to 20-story building in the bargain. I suspect the new building would extend over the parking lot at the corner of 9th and Broad.

....Im so confused as to what the 9th Street Office Building and Murphy Builidng and Hotel Richmond....

Tommy, in the pix Joey posted above, Murphy's is the ornate dark brown structure presently at 8th and Broad. Richmond Hotel is the present red brick building on 9th at Grace overlooking Capitol Square. You have taken pictures of it. :)

burban... The Murphy Hotel is the 8th St Office Bldg and the Richmond Hotel is the 9th St OFfice Bldg. Both are used by the state for offices.

Burt, my understanding from looking at the schematics is that we won't be getting a 19-20 story building. Though, it seems the state favors the plan whereby the building would extend from 8th to 9th streets. The 9th st office building would be renovated and expanded.

I'm not sure if they've definitely finalizes how tall they want it, but maybe a few floors of parking are included above ground as well?

Coupe, I'm still confused about the facade. How much of its 12-story height do you think would be preserved? Or does the report not hint at that possibility? And the seven-floor reference confuses even more. I know you don't have these answers but I'm interested in your speculation.

That end of Broad is humming with activity and/or changes. If the planned new Eye Hospital could be turned around to front Broad, ground level retail there would make sense, too.

Well perhaps VCU would do what it did further up Broad and include retail on the Broad side.

And I'd rather see fa

That end of Broad is humming with activity and/or changes. If the planned new Eye Hospital could be turned around to front Broad, ground level retail there would make sense, too.

Do you mean the new Children's Hospital? It would not make sense to front Broad Street. What happens when an ambulance with sirens comes up behind you? You pull over.

What has more traffic, Broad or Marshall? Broad of course.

From a safety perspective, it would make more sense for the hospital to face Marshall.

Some of you guys seem confused. The 20+ story tower option is if the Murphy's was to be saved and turned over to another entity. The 20+ story tower would have been built on top of the gravel lot at 9th and Broad.

Well, Shak, I'll admit I'm confused. :lol:

Now, how about activity across the street at the National? I see a permit was isued to demolish the stage house at the rear of the theatre. Can you see anything going on?

Well, Shak, I'll admit I'm confused. :lol:

Now, how about activity across the street at the National? I see a permit was isued to demolish the stage house at the rear of the theatre. Can you see anything going on?

As of today, there is no activity at the National. My sources tell me that work should begin sometime in October.

As of today, there is no activity at the National. My sources tell me that work should begin sometime in October.

Thanks for the news update. If works starts in October I'll be able to see work get underway. :yahoo: I may take a camp stool and sit at the corner of 7th and Broad and watch construction on the National and the Fed Court House. :)

Thanks for the news update. If works starts in October I'll be able to see work get underway. :yahoo: I may take a camp stool and sit at the corner of 7th and Broad and watch construction on the National and the Fed Court House. :)

I look forward to meeting you. You are more than welcome to use our facilities. :P

Speaking of which, are there any plans to do something with 'your' building in the future? It needs some serious TLC :)

Do you mean his apartment building, formerly Johnson Willis Hospital? I spent three weeks there strung up in traction back in the 70's.

Coupe, I was hoping you were in Richmond this weekend to take pictures. But when I looked at the Vista's live cam, it is very overcast.

I noticed while scanning that the ugly advertising sign is still on Mayo's Island greeting visitors approaching Richmond on I-95. Wasn't it determined the sign was illegal and had to be removed? Or did i make that up?