Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I also would like to see a rendering showing its appearance and impact before I make a judgment on it :thumbsup:

Personally, I'd be completely content with things on the scale of Tobacco Row and Rockett's as you suggest.

Well, here's the primitive rendering from the Church Hill newsletter courtesy of JC on RCW:

towers.jpg

Personally, I'm not impressed.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

.....It looks like a big wall with a gap for a gate in the middle. Im not impressed either. Hopefully, we will get more renderings as this develops.

I suggest shooting the architects and finding better ones out there. It makes me sick to know such crappy designs can actually be proposed in built in a world with so many qualified and talented architects out there.

To answer Shakman, highrises in Fulton/Rocketts wouldn't block a view of the river from Fulton residents and would be far off enough not to affect the view from Libby Hill. They'll be a part of the view, but wouldn't hinder the view.

-----------------

And ptaylor from the other site gives perspective to the topography of the land versus these buildings.

The central towers will be 206' tall The ground there is at about 25'-30' elevation above sea level. The buildings would top out at 230'-235'. The elevation at street level along Libbie Terrace is +/- 160'. The 18 story segments would be roughly even with the guy up top of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. The 14 story segments would top out slightly higher than the sidewalks over at Libbie Terrace and Chimborazo.

At least I think he was talking about these and not the previous plan for this site. Either way, they would prevent the view that make people come to the park and what residents there cherish.

----------------

And what are you guys complaining about? These buildings are gorgeous! <_<

Poor put upon VAPAF had some good news to report today. They're raised $10 Million toward the $20 Million goal to proceed with the "Southeast Quardrant". True, Four and a half Million of that amount is from the State appropriation, but over $6 Million has come from corporate and individual contributors. I believe they will meet their goal by their self-imposed deadline of December 31st.

For those wondering what the S/E Quardrant is, it is where the still-standing Thalhimer building is located at 7th and Grace. They dance around whether or not the two smaller performing spaces, expanded lobby rehearsal halls, dressing rooms, etc. will be in a rehabilitated Thalhimer building or whether it will be a new structure. I hope they retain the present building. It has a solid steel skeleton and a very attractive facade that would compliment the Carpenter Center.

Poor put upon VAPAF had some good news to report today. They're raised $10 Million toward the $20 Million goal to proceed with the "Southeast Quardrant". True, Four and a half Million of that amount is from the State appropriation, but over $6 Million has come from corporate and individual contributors. I believe they will meet their goal by their self-imposed deadline of December 31st.

"Poor put upon" VAPAF? Please. I'll believe that they have $6 million on hand when I see it. The last time they claimed to have a certain amount of money, the majority of it was vaporware.

Thanks to SaveRichmond for this classic:

onnotice04oi4.jpg

haha Burt it's Stephen Colbert... he does a segment in his show on Comedy Central, and this picture was edited to put the VAPAF and related in it.

:lol: I don't know who Stephen Colbert is, but it was clever of whoever is responsible.

The Carpenter Center, despite a lot of bitter opposition is on its way. Of course, the Mayor could always throw a wrench into things, but the principal opponents are losing steam.

I was about to say, I missed that episode! He's a comedian who has a show on Comedy Central, The Colbert Report, a spin off from the Daily Show. He really grilled Bush at a presidential roast earlier this year. I thought it was hilarious... Republicans... not so much...

Just heard some pretty big news on NBC 12 about the 8th street office bulding and the 9th st office building I think one of them were either the GC Murphy buliding or the Richmond Hotel I forget which. But anyways two different developers have been bidding on these two structures they both tend to renovate one and then demolish the other and create a new Office Tower. :yahoo:

This means VCU and U of R are not going to do anything with them.

Just heard some pretty big news on NBC 12 about the 8th street office bulding and the 9th st office building I think one of them were either the GC Murphy buliding or the Richmond Hotel I forget which. But anyways two different developers have been bidding on these two structures they both tend to renovate one and then demolish the other and create a new Office Tower. :yahoo:

This means VCU and U of R are not going to do anything with them.

Hmm. Im baffled. Pictures, anyone?

Joey, these are both owned by the State. You also mentioned The G. C. Murphy Company which was at the corner of 4th and Broad before it was demolished for a parking lot.

I wish you had more details. Maybe someone wants to rebuild these two and lease them back to the State. Do you think that may be what is being discussed?

Is it possible to get the Channel 12 story on line?

I don't know If their online or not but all I know is that there are two developers that are interested on them and I think they are in the planning stages of the two buildings I know that they said one was being demolished and the other was gonna be renovated and they said it was gonna be office space.

I found the story here it is not much though.

http://www.nbc12.com/news/state/3922807.html