Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Thanks for posting this good story, Coupe. For people like me with acrophobia, a seat in the new section would be out of the question. I wonder how high the top row will be?

I spent about 3 minutes trying to find the "play" key for the video, but finally succeeded. :lol:

Guess where Henrico's TALLEST building is going to be?

More and considerably revised news about construction at Richmond International Raceway: Yesterday's report was literally only half the story. New seating is to total 7,843, though 2,911 obstructed seats will be removed for the reported total of 4,932. But the new section of the 112,029 seat facility will be the equivalent of an 18-story building towering 180 feet. There will be 700 club level, 2,246 mezzanine and 4,897 cheaper seats in the new Commonwealth Tower. The highest seat will be 168 feet above the ground.

RIR is considered the premier short track in the country. And look for further enhancements in the next five years, eventually bringing capacity to 150,000.

Wow maybe if I stood on top of my house I could see it? I'm sure I'd get a nice view of downtown from there too ... in winter. But I'm not trying that.

Hahaha. The way you scramble over and atop viaducts and trestles to get pictures, I can easily visualize you scaling the new seating tower at RIR.

According to a story in today's TD, Mayor Wilder's City of the Future plan to close a bunch of old schools and construct 15 new ones is being questioned. The $200 million budget is a pretty skimpy amount to build 15 new schools say critics. It would average out to less than $15 million per building, and that's pretty unrealistic given today's skyrocketing costs.

So far, the Mayor and his advisors are staying mum on the matter except to suggest that the plan might simply be Phase I. Meaning, maybe, fewer buildings in the short haul?

Edited by burt

According to a story in today's TD, Mayor Wilder's City of the Future plan to close a bunch of old schools and construct 15 new ones is being questioned. The $200 million budget is a pretty skimpy amount to build 15 new schools say critics. It would average out to less than $15 million per building, and that's pretty unrealistic given today's skyrocketing costs.

So far, the Mayor and his advisors are staying mum on the matter except to suggest that the plan might simply be Phase I. Meaning, maybe, fewer buildings in the short haul?

This just furthers my belief that Douggie's clueless on schools. Or maybe my half-joking statement that he wants to sink the whole ship and turn the system over to charter schools wasn't a joke after all.

I can't find the thread in which Berry Burk is discussed, so I'll enter the comment here.

The building's conversion into residential is 95% leased.

See ther Dining Out thread for another exciting disclosure about Berry Burk at 6th and Grace. :ph34r:

The source for both of these stories is Greg Gilligan's column in today's Richmond Times Dispatch.

Edited by burt

I wouldn't mind seeing our schools in the city run like Fork Union or Hargrave.

We already have Franklin Military (in the old Minnis Middle building), and another school like that wouldn't be a bad idea, but the whole system? No thanks. We've got a couple ex-Fork Union teachers at my school and I don't think they'd last a second in RPS.

Good news for burt... I saw some inspections taking place at the National Theater. It may not be much, but it is something.

:yahoo:

I wonder if coupe has talked to has buddy at Historic Richmond regarding The National?

Thanks, Shak.

And Shak, Coupe took some great pics of the new CH last weekend. If you havent seen them they are in Richmond Pictures II.

Edited by burt

Adjacent to Richmond Citywide Boxing (The old Public Works site), there is something "under construction". Dirt has been moved and what appears to be the beginning of building pad is starting to take shape. Anyone know what is going on here?

It is near Overbrook Road and I-95 /I-64 overpass. One can see the work when traveling on I-95 /I-64, between Belvediere and Boulevard.

The Pharmaceutical operations that used to be known as Robins (I can't remember its new name but it is a major company) is in that area. Maybe they are enlarging.

Anybody got a clue as to what is happening there?