Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I noticed on the Historic Richmond website that HRF is selling stuff that is stored in the National that was once part of the Colonial Theatre. Maybe that's a good sign?

I imagine we would have heard that the deal had died if that was the case :thumbsup:

I'll bet Historic Richmond could tell us the status of the sale. I think I'll give them a call. Tommy, my boy, will you look up the number in the Richmond phone book for me? Unless you'd rather make the call yourself.

I don't think there's much Colonial Theatre memorability stored in the National.

Edited by burt

I'll bet Historic Richmond could tell us the status of the sale. I think I'll give them a call. Tommy, my boy, will you look up the number in the Richmond phone book for me? Unless you'd rather make the call yourself.

I don't think there's much Colonial Theatre memorability stored in the National.

Here's the info :thumbsup:

Historic Richmond Foundation {sodEmoji.|} 4 E. Main St. Richmond, VA 23219 {sodEmoji.|} 1.804.643.7407

Edited by TBurban

Here's the info :thumbsup:

Historic Richmond Foundation {sodEmoji.|} 4 E. Main St. Richmond, VA 23219 {sodEmoji.|} 1.804.643.7407

Tada!!! Thanks to my Secretary Tommy's assistance, I have learned that the option expires on

August 12th. The folks at Historic Richmond are hopeful and as I suspected the greatest concern is whether or not the Norva group can work around historic restrictions. The National Theatre would have to undergo considerable interior alteration to make it feasible for Norva's intended use.

Let's keep our extremities crossed! :lol:

Tada!!! Thanks to my Secretary Tommy's assistance, I have learned that the option expires on

August 12th. The folks at Historic Richmond are hopeful and as I suspected the greatest concern is whether or not the Norva group can work around historic restrictions. The National Theatre would have to undergo considerable interior alteration to make it feasible for Norva's intended use.

Let's keep our extremities crossed! :lol:

PS: Since I had given Historic Richmond a painting I had commissioned of the Colonial and National theatres, I had no qualms about calling. I talked to a very pleasant young lady named Chris, and she assured me that the painting by Parks Duffy is hanging on their wall.

PS: Since I had given Historic Richmond a painting I had commissioned of the Colonial and National theatres, I had no qualms about calling. I talked to a very pleasant young lady named Chris, and she assured me that the painting by Parks Duffy is hanging on their wall.

...and there is no activity at the National.

Nice picture of The Colonial. It was Richmond's only theatre with stadium seating and actually one of few in the country. It is the norm now adays in cinema complexes.

I would think those balusters would sell quickly.

Chris at HRF says they are clearing everything out of the National. Long ago it's 1100 seats were removed.

Edited by burt

This might not sound like big news, but trust me, it is!

Repaving to begin on 3 downtown streets

Starting Tuesday, the city will begin repaving 7th, 8th and 9th streets from around Grace and Broad to Canal/Cary.

The project will cost $210,000. If the business community supports Wilder's City of the Future Plan, the city will have $50 million to improve infrastructure downtown including sidewalks and more streetpaving. It's needed.

A year ago when I was driving around downtown I was appalled by the rough condition of Richmond's city streets. The repaving plan is good news. However it was not reported how long it would take to repave each of the numbered roads. Does anybody know the duration of repair work?

Now that the NASCAR HOF thread has been closed, I guess it's all right to mention here that RIR is adding 1400 seats to bring its capacity to 108,500. The 3 quarter mile track has sold out its 2 major events for the last 15 years and has a long waiting list. Henrico County, in which it is located, has approved eventual expansion to 150,000 seats.

A year ago when I was driving around downtown I was appalled by the rough condition of Richmond's city streets. The repaving plan is good news. However it was not reported how long it would take to repave each of the numbered roads. Does anybody know the duration of repair work?

I can hear them churning up the old pavement and putting the new stuff down. It will take about 10 business days (weather permitting) to repave 7th, 8th, and 9th streets from about Broad to Canal (varies by street).

so basically it will take a total of about 2 weeks to repave those 3 streets :thumbsup:

I can hear them churning up the old pavement and putting the new stuff down. It will take about 10 business days (weather permitting) to repave 7th, 8th, and 9th streets from about Broad to Canal (varies by street).

so basically it will take a total of about 2 weeks to repave those 3 streets :thumbsup:

Oh, good! It will be smooth driving for my pickup truck and me by the time of my visit. :)

Now that the NASCAR HOF thread has been closed, I guess it's all right to mention here that RIR is adding 1400 seats to bring its capacity to 108,500. The 3 quarter mile track has sold out its 2 major events for the last 15 years and has a long waiting list. Henrico County, in which it is located, has approved eventual expansion to 150,000 seats.

Actually Burt, the TD has made a correction. RIR is actually expanding by 4932 seats, bringing the total to 112,029. More details will be out tomorrow

I say scrap the pavement, bring back the stones! And I hate those areas that have cobblestones but the crews were too lazy to put the ones they pulled up back down and filled it in with asphalt... like at 17th Street Market. It totally takes away from the atmosphere... oh never mind the 1980s structure...

When they lay new asphault downtown, they churn up the layer that was on top first, I guess so that each new layer doesn't get higher and higher until it's above the sidewalk. Anyways, on 7th street, they've shaved away so much that the red bricks are visible that used to be the street! Man, it would really be something if the streets still looked like that. I recommend that anyone interested in that stuff check it out before they get repaved over this week.

Actually Burt, the TD has made a correction. RIR is actually expanding by 4932 seats, bringing the total to 112,029. More details will be out tomorrow

Coupe, I've looked thru today's TD and I can't find this correction about RIR expansion. Please direct me to it.

well it's gone now, but I promise it was on the front webpage under latest news.

There is a press conference today which should give details of the expansion

Good, I'll keep an eye out.

Did you go to the Retail Merchants trade show at the Convention center yesterday? There's not a word about it in today's TD.