Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Tommy, before Vistas was conceptualized, another developer was going to build on that site. Canal Landing was one of two designs planned. The other (my favorite) was a truly daring see-thru building of glass designed by BAM Architects.

Either one would have been superior to Vistas.

Coupe might know where to find the renderings.

Tommy, before Vistas was conceptualized, another developer was going to build on that site. Canal Landing was one of two designs planned. The other (my favorite) was a truly daring see-thru building of glass designed by BAM Architects.

Either one would have been superior to Vistas.

Coupe might know where to find the renderings.

Ahh yes, I was familiar with the idea of Canal Landing being where Vistas is going up. But if you look real close at that picture, it's Canal Landing with a different facade from the one we are all familiar with. Just wanted to point it out is all. I hadnt seen that design, but I had seen the other renderings from RCW :thumbsup:

Edited by TBurban

The design for Canal Landing that you saw on vdogg's posting has no relation whatsoever to the building called Vistas that is now under construction at that site. Whoever was going to develop it dropped out and Dominion, Vista's home company, bought the land.

When Coupe gets home I hope he can find and post the design for the BAM building that was also talked about for that location.

The design for Canal Landing that you saw on vdogg's posting has no relation whatsoever to the building called Vistas that is now under construction at that site. Whoever was going to develop it dropped out and Dominion, Vista's home company, bought the land.

When Coupe gets home I hope he can find and post the design for the BAM building that was also talked about for that location.

Yeah, I realize Canal Landing had no relation to Vistas, just the same site. I remember seeing the BAM version on the renderings page of RCW.

Wow, I never knew that. So is canal landing going in a different location then? I like the design.

Wow, I never knew that. So is canal landing going in a different location then? I like the design.

No, unfortunately, the design died when it was decided that Vistas would be built on that location. I like the design too and wish it would have stuck, but perhaps something else will be built soon that will be just as nice, if not better in another location.

No, unfortunately, the design died when it was decided that Vistas would be built on that location. I like the design too and wish it would have stuck, but perhaps something else will be built soon that will be just as nice, if not better in another location.

I have my eye on that site where the old Reynolds factory is sittin on ;)

I have my eye on that site where the old Reynolds factory is sittin on ;)

It's called the Alcoa site, Tommy. Some rumors have floated that Alcoa might close down that plant within a year or two. If so, and if a developer can be found, a high rise may go up on the western end of the property near 10th Street.

I believe residential townhouses are envisioned on the south and north banks of the canal now underneath the building and extending to the dead-end locks at 12th street. The townhouses would begin just west of Toad's Place if I understand it correctly.

My wish is that a connection between the James River and Kanawa Canal where Vistas is located, and the Haxall canal flowing past ROTJ, could be constructed in the Alcoa parking lot just north of the floodwall. Coupe and I have championed a mechanical boat lift for the connection, but no one takes us seriously.

Tommy, that crane in the background may be at the taller white building to the left of the crane. The white building, according to some reports, is supposed to have a floor or two added. I've heard the building is being converted to residential - rental apartements on the existing floors and 2 floors of condos added to the top. :dontknow:

It's hard to tell in this picture.

Edited by burt

Tommy, that crane may be at the taller white building to the left of the crane. The white building, according to some reports, is supposed to have a floor or two added. I've heard the building is being converted to residential - rental apartements on the existing floors and 2 floors of condos added to the top. :dontknow:

Thats probably it then. Thanks for clearing that up, Burt :)

Theyve also added a fresh coat of paint on Edgeworth, as noted from this view, its lookin good :shades:

hjhfhf7ch.png

I know they've started the deck across the street (which would have the magnificent sandwich shop). There are two cranes? A small yellow one and a small black one?

I'm baffled. Maybe I'll ride down there tomorrow... I have my sights on a nice hillside location along the newly aligned Louisiana St. in Fulton... however, my aunt inquired today and I can't afford a $100 - $400,000 house, especially a small one for $400,000? Come on! But I must have a house there... it's one of the last places one can have a home and see the skyline. (Well if I miss out on this there's always Manchester in the future).

You mean these Burt?

canal_landing_alternate1.jpg

rend_canal_place1.jpg

from Ryan (although they're on my photobucket)

I know they've started the deck across the street (which would have the magnificent sandwich shop). There are two cranes? A small yellow one and a small black one?

the yellow crane pictured above was set up on the west side of the edgeworth building this morning and had disappeared before this afternoon. the small black crane is just a lift truck.

Edited by bankrupt

Thanks, Cam. Yes, they are the BAM designed buildings that were proposed for the turning basin - the taller see-thru one where Vistas is now rising, and the other one on the south shore of the canal across 14th street from Vistas. Unfortunately, Norfolk Southern Railway got clearance to build a spur that takes up the property where the low-rise BAM was proposed.

What's this "magnificent sandwich shop" to which you refer? It must be an extension of Valentino's if you apply the word "magnificent" to it. :lol:

the yellow crane pictured above was set up on the west side of the edgeworth building this morning and had disappeared before this afternoon. the small black crane is just a lift truck.

Up before breakfast and down just after lunch? Hahahaha. That crane did not have a very long life! Wonder what its purpose was?

Anyway, it proved me wrong about the Canal Loft adding floors.

Edited by burt

Burt, the parking deck will be level with Cary Street and then down to Dock street. At street level on Cary St, the deck will have a sandwich shop and maybe other retail... the first retail on the south side of Cary along Tobacco Row.

As for the Canal Landing design... if I remember correctly, Highwoods Properties originally envisioned building that tower there. It was to be mostly office space with some condos on top. Originally, BB&T was going to commit as lead anchor, vacating their space in their beautiful tower on Main, but backed out of it. Other issues included the building straddling over top of the NS rail line that runs up through the floodwall. They were unable to secure enough interest in the office space and Highwoods ended up selling the parcel to Daniel Corp. (Dominion Partners). Surprisingly, their ROTJ had no trouble attracting office tenants.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Has anyone heard anything about the Boulevard Square project recently? When I read about the plans for the movie theatre at Blvd and Leigh I was ecstatic, but I haven't heard anything since late April. According to style, the development plans will come from a Bethesda consultant group called Streetsense. Looks like they've done a lot of strip malls, but they've done some more progressive stuff too. I'd be interested to see renderings and hear about the restaurant tenants. Anyone got any news?

When Style did the article, the property still had not even been sold yet, it was pending. Bowtie Partners is behind the development there, but it will be a while before more concrete info is out. It could still be being used by the original owner. I'd expect them to do a development there before they will on their Jefferson Square location (block bound by main, cary, 3rd, and 4th). :thumbsup:

Aww, man that movie theatre can't come soon enough! I can't count the number of times I was forced to drive to Commonwealth or Short Pump to see a movie with friends. I still can't believe there's not a mainstream theatre in Richmond proper . . . it'll be a goldmine!

Those are some awesome pics!

I think they are neat, too, Guy. And notice that the parking lot has been tastefully paved and landscaped. Let's hope major renovation and/or rehabilitation goes forward in the immediate area because there are some unsightly stretches of East Grace Street adjacent to the new apartments.

Worth mentioning from the City of Richmond Planning Dept meeting this coming Monday:

15. Public Hearing - Ordinance No. 2006-188: To authorize the special use of *** 1012, 1014, 1016, 1020, 1022 and 1024 Hull Street *** to construct *** buildings to accommodate 50 multi-family dwelling units, commercial space, and accessory parking ***.

18. Public Hearing - Ordinance No. 2006-196: To authorize the special use of *** 909

Worth mentioning from the City of Richmond Planning Dept meeting this coming Monday:

15. Public Hearing - Ordinance No. 2006-188: To authorize the special use of *** 1012, 1014, 1016, 1020, 1022 and 1024 Hull Street *** to construct *** buildings to accommodate 50 multi-family dwelling units, commercial space, and accessory parking ***.

18. Public Hearing - Ordinance No. 2006-196: To authorize the special use of *** 909