Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Sure, if you say so. I'm going to expect actors in period clothes depending on when wich block was established. There are places in Church Hill with these decorative things that never had them. But hey it's cute.

Yes. And the ironwork for the atrium is almost up judging from a recent picture (Ryan's, I believe).

The Atrium steel is halfway up. The roof of the atrium will be an all glass arching, angled skylight.

Edited by Shakman

The Atrium steel is halfway up. The roof of the atrium will be an all glass arching, angled skylight.

Are there two atria - one at 7th and Broad and another at Grace and 8th? Or is it a rounded convex facade on Grace?

Any action across Broad at The National? :D

There is only one Atrium - Broad and 7th. The height of the Atrium will 7 stories.

There is no activity at the National. :angry:

Nothing going on at the National?

Phooey!!! Rats!!! I thought by now there would be some announcement.

Edited by burt

Are there two atria - one at 7th and Broad and another at Grace and 8th? Or is it a rounded convex facade on Grace?

Any action across Broad at The National? :D

The Grace Street side is rounded. It will be a beautiful addition to Broad St. It's quite an imposing structure.

I'll see what I can find out about the National.

Aww, man that movie theatre can't come soon enough! I can't count the number of times I was forced to drive to Commonwealth or Short Pump to see a movie with friends. I still can't believe there's not a mainstream theatre in Richmond proper . . . it'll be a goldmine!

If it ever comes, it'll be the only one for the entire east end and parts of south Richmond. They make people drive for a half hour to see a movie, they need to close more suburban locations and put them in the city. Driving won't hurt those already with money.

It also amazes me that Shockoe Bottom didn't have a theater... still can happen... close one in the area and move it.

So the National will be like Alexandria's Birchmere?

Edited by Cadeho

Anything to report on the National, Coupe?

I would much prefer to see it returned to legitimate use but a night club is better than it sitting there deteriorating.

I wouldn't consider its intended use to be a nightclub unless you consider the Norva in Norfolk a nightclub. Same owner is planning a similar establishment in the National..............

I wouldn't consider its intended use to be a nightclub unless you consider the Norva in Norfolk a nightclub. Same owner is planning a similar establishment in the National..............

Yea, we knew that, Coupe. What I'm waiting for is info on whether or not the Norva company closed on the building and if and when constructions and renovation will begin at The National. Can't you dig up that data from your Main Street Associates? :lol:

Guess I'm old fashioned, but I consider the Norva and the future Toad's Place as night clubs. They are certainly gathering places for concerts and dancing. Don't you agree? :)

What is everyone referencing with 'National'?

The National Theatre on the corner of 7th and Broad downtown Richmond is a former movie/vaudeville house that has been closed since the 1980s. Historic Richmond has owned the building for a number of years and just recently a concert promoting firm has taken an option on the building. Their plan is to convert the theatre to a concert/dance venue similar to their flagship, Norva, in Norfolk and other converted theatres across the Nation. It would accommodate up to 1500 for concerts by groups that heretofore have bypassed Richmond due to lack of facilities with that capacity.

Apparently the option has been extended making some of us hopeful that the old building will come alive again and in the process add considerable life to Broad Street.

Toad's Place at the Canal Basin is a similar type club expected to open early in the fall of this year, and Riverside on the James is in negotiations with an out-of-town music producer to open an elegant dance/lounge in the old Power Plant building.

Richmond may become famous for its nightlife as well as it history! :)

Edited by burt

It also amazes me that Shockoe Bottom didn't have a theater... still can happen... close one in the area and move it.

So the National will be like Alexandria's Birchmere?

I've never seen the Birchmere, Cam, but have heard that the National will offer acts similar to those that appear at the Alexandria venue. Have you ever been to Birchmere? Give us a review of it.

Also, the State Theatre in Fairfax I've heard is similar to the National.

As a youngster, I used to be a regular customer every Thursday when the program changed at The National. It offered B movies and a big, splashy stage show featuring a 12-piece pit orchestra, comics, singers, dog acts and a line of 12 girls kicking up their heels - Richmond's version of the Rockettes.

The stage shows interchanged between The National in Richmond and The Center Theatre (now Harrison Opera House) in Norfolk.

I saw the amazing Funk Brothers and guests (like Peabo Bryson) at the Birchmere in 2004 (my year of concerts as 2003 was my year of movies :P )... well I would give you a review of the place had the Funks not torn the building down with their superb music.

It was pretty intimate and I can remember it being dimly lit, compared to an arena. And they serve food... the wings were good. Oh but that was near the stage... the area where we waited (not really wanting to call it a lobby) was packed with people and had a dance floor I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. They were playing Motown songs and if I recall there were a couple of tvs showing images. I can't recall so well though Burt, I'm sorry. But there was a hall we walked down that had pictures of acts that had performed there. I liked the atmosphere of the place. I had driven past it twice as it's kinda hidden and not what I was expecting as a building.

But I know this... I could see the bricks and cinderblocks coming apart when the Funk Brother's did their encore, Jr. Walker & The Allstars' "Shotgun" it got the whole place on their feet!

And Tommy, you'll still have an exam... someday.

Not much new development news lately. I check the RTD every morning to catch up on the latest construction announcements and all I've gotten lately from the RTD is crickets chirping. It's about time for another major announcement - even if it's the final rendering and schedule for the construction of Centennial. What you ya'll say?