Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Still, it would have been nice to be able to land Motorola too.  Just think, what if we had both in the our fair city??!!  I was hoping, big time, that Motorola would build in West Creek.  That name is more well-known too, which would have been a bit better than Infineon, but, at least, Infineon followed through with their plans!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well we have tons of potential locations for landing another big-time high-tech facility.... Meadowville and White Oak (home of Infineon and HP) just to name a few...

Anyone saying Richmond isn't having a Renaissance is extremely foolish.... The article in the TD were awesome today!

"Downtown Richmond is in the middle of a $2 billion makeover -- and that's just the big stuff......

.....Condominiums and apartments sprout up in Shockoe Bottom like summer mushrooms. East Broad Street is often shrouded in a cloud of dust kicked up by backhoes digging new foundations in old city blocks.

The skyline boasts two new towers hugging the banks of the James River, one filled with offices, the other with urban homesteaders who appreciate the view.

Among 20 major downtown projects, only a couple have been finished, worth about $100 million in capital investment.....

.....After nearly three centuries, this old town is still building."

A bumper crop of construction--City has 20 major projects planned, under way or finished

The only discrepency I see is that there are probably more than 20 major projects but fair enough.... here's the graphic showing where some of these developments are:

map800.jpg

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I loved this article as well.... very cool:

Skyline Gives View of Past and Future

Definitely check out the whole article but here is basically the beginning and end:

"Next time you're headed downtown from south of the James, take a second to study Richmond's skyline.

You're looking at a compact history lesson that reveals much about the city's economic progress. The state Capitol, which dominated the view for 120 years, is hard to see now, hidden by a century's worth of high-rise construction.....

....For the past decade, the real energy focused on converting old warehouses and factories into condominiums, apartments, offices, restaurants and stores.

That's not about to change. But the latest burst of development has us once again glancing toward the sky.........Downtown is starting to look like a boom town."

It's kinda odd that they gave a lot of play to Pohlig Box factory apartments, but didn't mention Tobacco Row and the new American Tobacco project. Also, they pinpointed the new MCV Nursing school at 7th and Leigh when we know it is at 12th and Leigh.

Nor did they discuss Main Street apartments between the Heritage at 10th and a slew of others in upper floors all the way to the corner of 14th. They also failed to mention apartments on Broad in Furniture Store Row between 2nd (Swartzchild) and Jefferson streets (Popkins Bldg).

Also, they were back to describing Centennial as an 18 to 22 story building, and they said the Bed Hospital at MVC would have 11 floors above ground, so things are shrinking according to them.

But overall, I was impressed with their coverage.

Edited by burt

I think they are going on what they oriiginally broke with regards to Centennial. The developers recent press release says 25 but it could change with what market reports say. I think the new bed tower will be 11 stories starting at the level of the White house of the confederacy... there's a big drop right there of about 4-5 stories where it will begin. So I guess they are calling those sub-floors....

article in the paper today... looks like the largest green roof in Virginia is finished at Suntrust's Mid-Atlantic HQ tower downtown...:thumbsup: hope its the first of many

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The planting is finished, but it's got a lotta growing to go! Since SunTrust is the highest in the area, how come we saw those other less tall buildings in the background of the picture?

oops haha here's the link to the story..

Mayor and Arts Group meet

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea. I read it (first thing, of course) this morning. Let's hope a meeting of the minds will result. You saw, of course, that Brad Armstrong has voluntarily cut his salary by $100 thou.

This project is SO important to the Region. Years ago, some natives used to refer to Richmond as the "Florence" of America. With this performing arts proposal along with Virginia Museum of Fine Arts expansion, Richmond will surpass the Florence reference and take on the mantle of Athens!

My fondest wish is that the City could establish major annual national festivals of music, drama, dance, and fine arts - not unlike Spoleto in Charleston, but even bigger with top name performers mingling with local top-flight performers. There is so much artistic talent in Richmond. It probably has more and varied theatre than any city its size in America; the Richmond Ballet has achieved National renown and VCU's dance program is growing in reputation. Of course, its Fine Arts Department is already at the top of the list. The Symphony, while considered a regional orchestra, is ranked highly. Art Galleries proliferate. The Modlin Center at U of R is a God-send as is the Singleton Center at VCU.

I have high hopes.

Edited by burt

Going further afield, we have:

SWIFT CREEK MILL THEATRE - 200 seats in Colonial Heights.

BLACKWELL AUDITORIUM (though I think it has a new name) - (est.) 500 seats on the Randolph Macon Campus in Ashland.

THE ASHLAND THEATRE - 350 seats in the center of Ashland.

HANOVER TAVERN - 150 seats. The original site of Barksdale Theatre at Hanover Court House.

Edited by burt

I can't believe the paper has waited till now to talk about this cool development.... The apartment conversions at Main and 14th...

'Gateway' Renovation Starts

"The Council for America's First Freedom bought the five buildings along East Main Street in 2002 and now is having them completely renovated.

The 48,000-square-foot project will serve as the organization's offices as well as 51 luxury apartments.

The estimated cost of the project, which is scheduled to be completed by next spring, is between $8 million and $9 million.

The one- and two-bedroom apartments range from 500 square feet to 1,000 square feet.

The apartments -- the organization has not decided on an official name yet -- will have rents ranging from $800 to $1,400. They will include small gourmet kitchens with granite countertops, stainless-steel appliances, wine racks, pot hangers and maple cabinets. Many floors will be maple and oak."

And these buildings are pretty old and have historical and symbolic importance...

"The buildings that are being renovated at the southwest corner of 14th and Main streets were among the first to be rebuilt after the 1865 fires from the end of the Civil War.

"When these buildings came up in the 1870s, it was a signal that Richmond was rising again and back on its feet," Dotts said.

The Wedge Building on East Main Street -- the fifth building from the corner of 14th Street -- is known as one of Richmond's great architectural oddities.

Built in 1873, it is only 7

Burt I got it from the RTD on Sunday their was a 4 sections on all the development going on downtown and it had ads renderings and all sorts of awesome stuff and I saved it to so it would'nt get thrown out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm. It wasn't online, so I'll have one of my Richmond relatives send me a copy. Thanks, Joey. :lol: