River House Condominiums

GRCentro

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why the builders opted for steel for the last couple of floors instead of the cast concrete in the rest of the building.

Those floors are mechanical floors right? Well, steel optimizes their space. Concrete would work, steel offers more versatility for the mechanical equipment. Easier to fit, install, and work with the systems up there. Any future machinery being put (ie in 50+ years when there is better stuff out and the old needs replacing) it is easier to rework the steel frame than the concrete, especially with the as mentioned tension cables running through the structure.

Those floors are mechanical floors right? Well, steel optimizes their space. Concrete would work, steel offers more versatility for the mechanical equipment. Easier to fit, install, and work with the systems up there. Any future machinery being put (ie in 50+ years when there is better stuff out and the old needs replacing) it is easier to rework the steel frame than the concrete, especially with the as mentioned tension cables running through the structure.

Actually the steel floors will accommodate a hand full of 2 story penthouse units. After learning this, I'm guessing steel was preferred to allow the units to be customized more so than the standard units.

Thanks!

I love all your pics too. Well folks, I'm here in GR now. Moved in from Chicago this past Friday, and have made good progress at getting settled. From my 3rd floor rear attic apartment at 207 La Grave SE I can see the whole GR skyline, including my new fave skyscraper in the world, River House. I've seen it by car this past w/e from all angles and I am impressed. From upper Alpine Avenue it is great! Happy to be back in GR and I'll be in touch on here.

:thumbsup:

I love all your pics too. Well folks, I'm here in GR now. Moved in from Chicago this past Friday, and have made good progress at getting settled. From my 3rd floor rear attic apartment at 207 La Grave SE I can see the whole GR skyline, including my new fave skyscraper in the world, River House. I've seen it by car this past w/e from all angles and I am impressed. From upper Alpine Avenue it is great! Happy to be back in GR and I'll be in touch on here.

Sounds like you need to get your camera unpacked. Welcome (back) to the neighborhood.

Avocado,

I love your signature. The Fiery Furnaces are one of my favorite bands recently. :)

I wasn't going to use it, because I'm not wild about Blueberry Boat, but I can't argue with their review of the Grand Rapids berry scene.

Now, Benton Harbor Blues, that's my kind of Fiery Furnace tune.

Speaking of blues and blueberries, how about all that blue glass on River House?

(On topic!)

Thanks and welcome back! :thumbsup:

It probably won't be me. I'm in the midst of a move, so my evenings are primarily spent packing right now.

I'll take some pictures tonight, but am by no means a trained photographer. I should be able to get both some interior and exterior shots, and of the actual raising. I'll have to look back into how to post them afterwards.

I'll take some pictures tonight, but am by no means a trained photographer. I should be able to get both some interior and exterior shots, and of the actual raising. I'll have to look back into how to post them afterwards.

Excellent! I don't think any of us regular photogs on here are trained photographers, so no worries.

Well I was downtown yesterday at 6, but I didn't get any pictures of the tree being raised because I was on the wrong side of the building. I figured they would put the tree on the front side of the building so I was in front of the Ford Museum. Around 8pm I walked around to the other side of the building and saw the tree sitting there on top.

Well I was downtown yesterday at 6, but I didn't get any pictures of the tree being raised because I was on the wrong side of the building. I figured they would put the tree on the front side of the building so I was in front of the Ford Museum. Around 8pm I walked around to the other side of the building and saw the tree sitting there on top.

I have a bunch of photos inside and out, and of the raising. I will load them onto my computer this afternoon if I have a break. I haven't posted photos before, so could someone please help with what is the easiest way for me to post them on UP?

I have a bunch of photos inside and out, and of the raising. I will load them onto my computer this afternoon if I have a break. I haven't posted photos before, so could someone please help with what is the easiest way for me to post them on UP?

First you have to load them onto a picture sharing website such as Flickr. It's pretty simple really, but since I'm bad at explaining things without causing confusion you should probably just read this thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Image-Posting-t7779.html

OK, I think I figured it out. There were a lot of people at the event. RiverHouse invited all workers who had partcipated in the project to come, and also to bring their families to see the inside of the project. There were a lot of home owners and media types. Home owners could tour their units first, then they did general tours of a few different floors and units, including trips to 25 (I think). Here are some outside pics...

Straight up the north side

2719681825_b18187faf6.jpg

2719680187_3c27ee0559.jpg

They did some general "Thanks for all the hard work, ra ra ra Go RiverHouse" stuff before the

beam raising. A lot of emphasis was put on the local workmanship in this project comprared to some

other projects. Almost to the point of subtle bashing. But hey, it was an almost all local project.

2719683415_636e679f95.jpg

2720508600_436dd81ecd.jpg

2719687083_d229157a4e.jpg

Here the last beam is basically at the top. We couldn't really see it being secured into

place.

2720511582_d913262338.jpg

I will post some more interior and elevated shots later.

Here are some interior shots from a variety of places within the building...

From inside an 18th floor south facing unit. Cabinets, tile and plumbing are in, and ready for paint.

2719676715_20f44ed5ca.jpg

2720500078_c5478381ed.jpg

North from 18

2719678635_0376062192.jpg

2719681069_4208c1d018.jpg

South from 29 (between the bars on the outside lift).

2719666467_e9a1aa88af.jpg

More to come tomorrow...

Man, I'm not even in town (GR) right now and I'm pulling stories for you guys. :)

In Chris Knape's blog today, he interviews the architect Brian Winkelmann, and also discusses the trumpeting of an "all-local" construction/design team. I think it's great. But like Chris said, kudos should be given to Erhardt and Rockford for the great jobs they've done on downtown projects. Very few projects in GR seem to get done way over budget and way late.

There's also a hint of two unannounced projects that Winkelmann is working on in downtown GR.

BTW: Nice pics smilesgr!

Archived