River House Condominiums

GRCentro

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I should be flattered or irritated, but there's a two page insert in the Business Journal for River House and it has at least 1 (maybe 2) of my photos in it.

SUE'EM! :P:P:P Demand a penthouse suite in compensation for damages. If the RIAA can sue for $150,000 for each track someone steals, your work of art should be worth at least $1 million.

In all seriousness, that is not acceptable and someone in their marketing dept. should be reprimanded and you should get at least a written apology. You would think they must have policies in place that require them to have the rights to the photos they used in their advertisement. Seems like a pretty basic concept in producing marketing materials.

SUE'EM! :P:P:P Demand a penthouse suite in compensation for damages. If the RIAA can sue for $150,000 for each track someone steals, your work of art should be worth at least $1 million.

In all seriousness, that is not acceptable and someone in their marketing dept. should be reprimanded and you should get at least a written apology. You would think they must have policies in place that require them to have the rights to the photos they used in their advertisement. Seems like a pretty basic concept in producing marketing materials.

I'd like to be irritated, but I'm not completely innocent of the practice. :blush:

I'd like to be irritated, but I'm not completely innocent of the practice. :blush:

That doesn't make what they've done less wrong. It just lowers you down from the moral high ground. I'd at least let someone there know that they are using your image without your permission. Perhaps it will filter it's way to the right person just from this post.

I don't know if I should be flattered or irritated, but there's a seven page insert in the Business Journal for River House and it has at least 1 (maybe 2) of my photos in it.

Dad, is the photo on your Flickr account? Check your photograph on Flickr and see if a "Creative Commons" license is attached to it.

Check this out: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/technolo...1link.html?_r=1

That doesn't make what they've done less wrong. It just lowers you down from the moral high ground. I'd at least let someone there know that they are using your image without your permission. Perhaps it will filter it's way to the right person just from this post.

I know a couple of the people working over at River House now. I'll chew them out. ;)

That's an interesting read about flickr and Creative Commons. I'll have to see what their usage rights are exactly.

• 2 months later...

People being sued for not executing purchase agreements:

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/River_House...tential_tenants

i cannot believe it came to this, even if he wins its a big black eye on the project and will potentially ruin future sales. the market will return like dr. manhattan only to see this project in the epicenter of a no loan zone.

this is a no loan zone fyi (inside sources in local banks) code named pipecub

If you only humanize only one side of the discussion, you tend forget that their are humans on the other side of the story as well. If you agreed to purchase a condominium in the tallest pure residential skyscraper in the state, your not a finance victim that might be forced to live under a bridge. It's easy to rally along everyone who agrees with you and point the finger at the big guy, but it seems like people can't grasp the idea that the blame sometimes falls on themselves. I would liken her actions to a hit and run. Or better yet, purposely letting go of the shaky latter and bailing when someone is helping you build your house. Is it cold for the to sue? A little, but 10X more disgusting to see rich people think that they are entitled to a bailout if they can't afford the condo. Bailout mentality is a pandemic that is sweeping the nation.

If you only humanize only one side of the discussion, you tend forget that their are humans on the other side of the story as well. If you agreed to purchase a condominium in the tallest pure residential skyscraper in the state, your not a finance victim that might be forced to live under a bridge. It's easy to rally along everyone who agrees with you and point the finger at the big guy, but it seems like people can't grasp the idea that the blame sometimes falls on themselves. I would liken her actions to a hit and run. Or better yet, purposely letting go of the shaky latter and bailing when someone is helping you build your house. Is it cold for the to sue? A little, but 10X more disgusting to see rich people think that they are entitled to a bailout if they can't afford the condo. Bailout mentality is a pandemic that is sweeping the nation.

Um, if the bank won't loan you the money for the condo you could qualify for 6 months ago, then what's the point in suing? It's not a secret that people are losing jobs left and right...yes, even people who at one time could afford a $300k condo...especially when your equity/401k/stocks just got vaporized.

This move is at best hard ball by Grooters and at worst the biggest PR debacle I've seen in a long time.

I'd rather see them save the legal fees incurred by suing these people and instead use that money creatively to help pick up sales via a marketing campaign or some other way to create positive momentum for the project.

Right or wrong, there are many people who never heard of Riverhouse before this...and now they'll only know them as the people who are suing the little guys.

Dude, I look forward to your every post! They get funnier and funnier! I think you ought to meet up with that jim.com guy and go on tour.

Can't you legally back out of a purchase agreement if you give up your earnest deposit? I assume they took deposits.

It is my impression that this is generally the case. However, I imagine it depends on what text is in the purchase agreement.

Also, I'm really surprised that the "Work Downtown? Live Downtown!" political campaign style signs all over downtown haven't sold the place out yet. < /end sarcasm>

I would love to live in Rivertown (Edit: Riverhouse! Duh!) if I could afford it. I think the views are spectacular! It might take a little more work to let the dogs outside, though, if they are even allowed.

Can't you legally back out of a purchase agreement if you give up your earnest deposit? I assume they took deposits.

As fotoman says, it depends on the wording of the contract. Based on our experiences with River House, moving from a reservation to a purchase agreement was a big step and not something to be taken lightly. If you don't understand what you're signing, especially on a large investment, and you don't understand the ramifications of default (if I do X, then Y will happen), you really need to consult with an attorney.

Um, if the bank won't loan you the money for the condo you could qualify for 6 months ago, then what's the point in suing? It's not a secret that people are losing jobs left and right...yes, even people who at one time could afford a $300k condo...especially when your equity/401k/stocks just got vaporized.

The developer knows this.

"Are they backing out because they no longer think it's as good an investment or can they not afford it anymore?That is what River House developer Robert Grooters is trying to find out. He is taking the potential buyers to court to force them to reveal their finances to see if they have the money to live up to their promise."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/River_House...ay_and_who_cant

Obviously the PR isn't great for the developer but with the real estate market tanking it's understandable why some people want to bail. No doubt the bank is squeezing him. I'm sure there's lots of homeowners who gladly would of bailed if they had the option to before closing.

I would love to live in Rivertown if I could afford it. I think the views are spectacular! It might take a little more work to let the dogs outside, though, if they are even allowed.

<snark>You'd love to live in the mall?</snark>

Seriously though, downtown condos are really just overpriced. Maybe the high prices reflect the high construction costs, but if the market won't bear it, then maybe we don't need any new condo developments downtown. Suburban Grand Rapids real estate prices would have to rise quite a bit for downtown condos to be even remotely cost competitive. For that I think we'd need a huge amount of growth. (I'm sure we'll be a boom town in 100 years after global warming has done it's thing. Tropical paradise!)

<snark>You'd love to live in the mall?</snark>

Seriously though, downtown condos are really just overpriced. Maybe the high prices reflect the high construction costs, but if the market won't bear it, then maybe we don't need any new condo developments downtown. Suburban Grand Rapids real estate prices would have to rise quite a bit for downtown condos to be even remotely cost competitive. For that I think we'd need a huge amount of growth. (I'm sure we'll be a boom town in 100 years after global warming has done it's thing. Tropical paradise!)

It could be worse. I saw a 1000 square foot rowhouse condo in DC on Friday, a couple of blocks away from the Adams-Morgan restaurant/business district (a really cool business district, btw). For Sale By Owner and they were only asking $525,000. :)

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/reo/1076277793.html

It could be worse. I saw a 1000 square foot rowhouse condo in DC on Friday, a couple of blocks away from the Adams-Morgan restaurant/business district (a really cool business district, btw). For Sale By Owner and they were only asking $525,000. :)

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/reo/1076277793.html

But for comparison, what does $500k get you in suburban DC? 2,000 sq ft and an hour commute? In Grand Rapids you can get a 5 minute commute and more than double the space of an equivalently priced condo. It takes me about as long to walk from my parking lot to my office as it does to drive downtown. Or, I can bike right to the door of my office in about the same amount of time.

But for comparison, what does $500k get you in suburban DC? 2,000 sq ft and an hour commute? In Grand Rapids you can get a 5 minute commute and more than double the space of an equivalently priced condo. It takes me about as long to walk from my parking lot to my office as it does to drive downtown. Or, I can bike right to the door of my office in about the same amount of time.

What suburb are you commuting from in Grand Rapids where you can leave your house and be at your office downtown in 5 minutes? Seems like it would take 3-5 minutes just to exit the highway and get to your parking spot, unless your office only 1 or 2 blocks from your exit.

I won't argue that the disparity isn't more than it should be, with our current down housing market. I bought a house just outside Heritage Hill and it doesn't take me much longer to walk to the arena than it would take from Riverhouse. (it's a much shorter walk than from Rivertown, btw :D ) I have a nice yard, a huge deck, a garden and compost bin, and it cost much less than the cheapest Riverhouse condo, and most others I've seen downtown. Don't have a view of the skyline or the Grand River, though. That is the biggest attraction of Riverhouse for me.

What ARE we talking about folks? Using court ordered discovery to find out if people, who once signed a contract to buy one or more condos changed their minds because it'll now take more time to flip in this economy... hmmm.

I'm sorry that lady on WOODtv decided to take an early buy-out at GM... and can't quote, "sell her home for what she was asking."

I couldn't sell my house in Ada for what I paid for it 5-years ago...

But guess what, I dropped my price and sold it. The bank that financed the River House construction gave me a loan... and I moved in. Done. Love it.

Some people do what they say, Bob Grooters is one of them. RiverHouse is living proof.

Is there a way current residents of River House can help sue the vast majority of 2006 wanna be real estate investors pulling out of the deal?

I'm parking in their spaces... but they should still have to pay association fees.

Rock-n-Sixth,

I'm glad you are enjoying your new condo. I am also really sorry that many don't show and act appreciative to Mr. Grooter for building such an awesome skyline building that many people really enjoy but unfortunately don't appreciate.

True love begins as a feeling and is made complete by an act of your will. Saying you will do something and not doing it is disgracing yourself. I wonder how their lives will end up.

Well, I hope things work out so that you can enjoy your condo and the emnities of River House for many years to come.

Best and Blessings in Christ Always,

~John

hey, you get in business with bob grooters, you better be ready for some underhanded stuff.

and if you go into one of his buildings, you might want to start saving for the renovations, because it's going to fall apart around you.

Well considering this is his first residential project, I'm wondering from where you're getting this. Also, just wanted to be sure that you're disparaging all of the construction teams that worked on this as well, just to be clear. :rolleyes:

What suburb are you commuting from in Grand Rapids where you can leave your house and be at your office downtown in 5 minutes? Seems like it would take 3-5 minutes just to exit the highway and get to your parking spot, unless your office only 1 or 2 blocks from your exit.

I do live in the City of Grand Rapids. My commute is pretty much straight down Fulton into downtown, maybe it's closer to 8 minutes than 5 so I exaggerated a bit. It is a single family house neighborhood though, not a built-up downtown area, so it's similar to the suburbs in that sense.

On my street there are two 4-bedroom houses for sale, one for $140k and one for $150k. I'm not sure you could even get into Riverhouse at that price, not even with a 1-bedroom condo.

Also, to be clear, I'm not saying Riverhouse isn't a nice place to live or that you shouldn't buy there. Obviously if living downtown and having great views is important to you then maybe the price is worth it. The problem is that for most people Riverhouse just isn't very cost-competitive with non-downtown living. I'd expect to pay more, sure, but not that much more. Riverhouse isn't alone in this respect.

Archived