River House Condominiums

GRCentro

I dont have any but driving through from the east and the south last weekend a few times there is definatly a big impact and teh skyline looks more beefed up and filled out, the med mile with all the cranes is another big factor. I like the approach from the east on 196 W bound where it before you could only see just the tops of a few buildings until after college street and now the narrow side of river house sticks out and then looks really tall comming down the hill into DT stitting next to the fat bridgewater

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

River House looks pretty huge when coming in on I-196 from the Grandville area.

Also, I was in Chicago last week and noticed a striking similarity between this building and River House (RH's little brother?):

2471669245_00b4cf9ccb_b.jpg

Same blue color, same white banding, similar shape, hmmmm....

So Riverhouse looks just like that building in Chicago, and the JW Marriot looks just like the building on Wacker drive... Are we just asking the Chicago architects to make us a replica of their designs? Mini-Chicago. Maybe we could get some original designs if we just stuck with our local bunch of architects.

River House looks pretty huge when coming in on I-196 from the Grandville area.

Also, I was in Chicago last week and noticed a striking similarity between this building and River House (RH's little brother?):

Same blue color, same white banding, similar shape, hmmmm....

So Riverhouse looks just like that building in Chicago, and the JW Marriot looks just like the building on Wacker drive... Are we just asking the Chicago architects to make us a replica of their designs? Mini-Chicago. Maybe we could get some original designs if we just stuck with our local bunch of architects.

Actually, River House was designed by DTS Winkelmann locally, but your point is well taken.

Actually, River House was designed by DTS Winkelmann locally, but your point is well taken.

That and River House is (with a few alterations) following the design of Bridgewater I, so if any one is making a replica it would be the one in Chicago.

That and River House is (with a few alterations) following the design of Bridgewater I, so if any one is makinga replica it would be the one in Chicago.

Bridgewater I was designed by Winkelmann Architects, which was Brian Winkelmann's firm before he merged/joined DTS.

So both Bridgewater and Riverhouse have Grand Rapids designers.

Next: Grand Rapids Spire? :silly:

The first level of the stepped back floors has been poured. I got some shots that I'll post tonight if no one else gets a chance to take some this afternoon.

Also, dbrok's site, GRNow.com has 5 really awesome crane shots at 460' that they got from the builder in their flickrstream:

Check them out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grnow/sets/72157604939214089/

Imagine how cool it'd be to see some 400 ft wind turbines NW of town from that vantage point.

Also, dbrok's site, GRNow.com has 5 really awesome crane shots at 460' that they got from the builder in their flickrstream:

Check them out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grnow/sets/72157604939214089/

Imagine how cool it'd be to see some 400 ft wind turbines NW of town from that vantage point.

That'd be quite the site.

Here are the shots:

2496173670_9c881687f2_b.jpg

2495348949_e9efe761e1_b.jpg

2 things I noted today:

1) The highest, most dangerous, toilet in town - On the 25th floor on the south side of the building (just west of the "Model Open" sign) there is a port-a-potty that seems to hang over the edge. I'm sure it is secure, but nonetheless, the visual from ground level gave me a chuckle. A fall from that level in a port-a-potty would be (dare I say) a crappy situation!

2) Not sure on this, but I noticed what seemed to be a cracked/shattered glass panel on the north side of the building, about half way up. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I took another gander today at the north side, and yes, there does seem to be something going on with one of the panels. It is somewhat difficult to see, but it is located just west of the dash in the vertically hanging phone number right after "616."

I wonder how difficult / time consuming it will be to replace???

I don't know why it took me this long to notice it, but does anyone know why, when viewing RH from the south, the sliding glass doors on the balconies differ. That is, on the right column of balconies the doors are centered on the balcony. On the left column of balconies the doors are to right of center. I'm not sure I like that. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I don't know why it took me this long to notice it, but does anyone know why, when viewing RH from the south, the sliding glass doors on the balconies differ. That is, on the right column of balconies the doors are centered on the balcony. On the left column of balconies the doors are to right of center. I'm not sure I like that. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Could be due to the floorplans. The condos on the SE conner of the building is are different than those in the SW corner.

Archived