DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had Pavolino and Crapionato in a room with a gun and only one bullet, I'd probably shoot myself.

Thanks, guys, for covering the state in asphalt and strip malls.

I guess the point here is that turning to Paolino for validation about how it's a good idea to knock something down is like turning to Kenneth Lay for validation on your business practices.

I find it interesting that the state or city went out of their way building that stupid off ramp AROUND this building and now demo it after all these years with no questions asked..

The personal effect is I lose my free parking along this building, which sucks... I kind of enjoyed the walks to the train in the AM with all the union construction workers working their sometime show jobs, it was a great experience.

Just goes to show you that certain people are above the rules, and us little people down here have to abide by them.. In fact, I bet through tax dollars somehow we will actually pay for the demolition..

I love America, the land where the middle class pays the way for the rich and poor, has their quality of life constantly destroyed, has no party to represent them and is just content enough to do nothing about anything...

If this does get demoed it had better not be approved for surface parking as an interim use! I demand a Marshalls (or if we could ever be so lucky to get a Century 21) built to the sidewalk with side and underpass parking immediately. Instant clientele at the 903 and Promenade, not to mention all the mall-goers.

If this does get demo-ed it had better not be approved for surface parking as an interim use! I demand a Marshalls (or if we could ever be so lucky to get a Century 21) built to the sidewalk with side and underpass parking immediately. Instant clientele at the 903 and Promenade, not to mention all the mall-goers.

If this does get demoed it had better not be approved for surface parking as an interim use! I demand a Marshalls (or if we could ever be so lucky to get a Century 21) built to the sidewalk with side and underpass parking immediately. Instant clientele at the 903 and Promenade, not to mention all the mall-goers.

No way... I've heard that General Properties (or whatever) that manages/owns the mall would never allow retail to be so close to their compound. The TJX Company would never be able to move in, esp. with (eep!) Discount Shopping.

My page on the warehouse has since been updated: www.artinruins.com/arch/?id=decay&pr=provfruit

What happened with those nice renderings they were trying to float a few years ago for the redevelopment? Never followed through, eh? I can think of a few uses they could have redeveloped it as: a Quincy Market type thing, a particle accelerator (half-joking), or a Complex-type series of clubs. All the noise you want, not much of it would transmit beyond those 14 inch concrete walls. And the 903 peeps could just stumble across the street to go home.

This thing is wrong on so many levels; let me count the ways:

[*]The State purchases the building for $14 million in 1998 (just as real estate values were taking off) and then sells it to Carpionato in 2005 (about the time that values had peaked) for . . . wait for it . . . $4.3 million: Buy low, sell lower. When you hear this type of story, is it any wonder that RI is facing a $600 million deficit?

[*]The building has become a

this was before the CPC twice, i think. Interesting how we never knew that it was also before the building department asking for a demo permit.

I remember the Silver Spring Dying and Bleaching public hearing. Where Catherine Horsey and a few others of us asked Kelly Coates to consider saving the VERY stable sides of the building and incorporating it into their design of the new Home Depot. "Of course," he said. "We'll check with the architect immediately." the NEXT DAY that building came down.

Is the city still operating without at certified and licensed structural engineer at the helm? talk about liability...

Look at it this way guys - now there will be more parking for WaterFire! And then we won't need to bother thinking about public transportation because the only reason people want to get into the city is for Waterfire. All other public transport is for po' folks, and who cares about them?

Really, this is great news. Now if they would just get around to standardizing the CVS on Kennedy Plaza by knocking down the Superman building. I need a big sign and drive-thru in order to patronize one of those places. And a parking lot, so that I can park my car after going through the drive-thru and yell at my kids while popping my Xanax.

can I come with you to NoVa, Jen? Or, maybe it's time to move to Europe. Wonder what the Dutch girl is up to.

Archived