DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

Wow, I'm embarrased that I missed all of that. I can't believe this almost slipped by me entirely. I've been slacking on my pimping, so to say. I'll be at that meeting when it happens, I promise.

P.S. Sorry about flipping out. I came on and pretty much went right to their site, from there it just shocked the sense out of me.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH, HELL F*****G NO!!!!! Did anybody look at the brochure? This thing is surrounded by parking on THREE sides?!?!?! No! No! No!!! I won't allow it. They are NOT putting surface parking in a potentially dynamic area of town. No! Do these jackasses only know how to build strip malls? What a horrendous waste of potential and a total lack of creativity. Holy crap, I'm soooo pissed right now. So pissed. This is not going to happen. How totally mindless. I swear this is not going to happen.

I'm writing until I get a satisfactory response from these pricks. If you give a damn, I'd suggest you do the same. What this area needs is to fill in the lots it currently has, not add new ones.

That's what Cotuit said, more or less. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My wonderful wife, who may regret encouraging my geekiness, got me this book about the trend in revitalizing the downtowns of American cities:

Cities Back from the Edge: New Life for Downtown by Roberta Brandes Gratz and Norman Mintz

Anyway, it's a great read for anyone in this forum. One thing that I'll point out is a case study they used in Mansfield, OH. The city wanted nothing to do with downtown and it was up to the residents to take control. This ends up being a recurring point in the book - how great urban spaces evolve not necessarily because of planning departments of the city/state but because of the local residents. A local business owner bought up a cluster of historic buildings, rehabbed them and brought in appropriate local retail. The expert who helped him surveyed the locals about what they wanted and discouraged the owner from going the easy route of the chain stores (something consultants love to do). One major item that came out of that was a Farmer's Market - which serves all locals young and old.

This got me thinking about this project. Is it too late for us, as a community, to prevent this building from becoming another strip mall?? An indoor market with a permanent Craftland would be phenomenal. I'll even give them some surface parking!! Imagine a place where people could walk in and do their entire grocery shopping from local venders. With all those new and existing buildings (Foundry, 903, ALCO, etc...) there would be a huge populous to shop there.

Thoughts anyone?

i will make sure to post in here when this comes before the City Plan Commission again, and that is an ideal place to voice opinions. Also if this projects needs any kind of zoning varience, there will be a public hearing there too. And, if this project gets any kind of tax stabilization from the city, there will be a hearing at the City Council, so there will more more opportunities for folks to weigh in, and i hope you all do!

• 2 weeks later...
OH, HELL F*****G NO!!!!! Did anybody look at the brochure? This thing is surrounded by parking on THREE sides?!?!?! No! No! No!!! I won't allow it. They are NOT putting surface parking in a potentially dynamic area of town. No! Do these jackasses only know how to build strip malls? What a horrendous waste of potential and a total lack of creativity. Holy crap, I'm soooo pissed right now. So pissed. This is not going to happen. How totally mindless. I swear this is not going to happen.

I'm writing until I get a satisfactory response from these pricks. If you give a damn, I'd suggest you do the same. What this area needs is to fill in the lots it currently has, not add new ones.

I wonder what percentage of chain stores and big boxes and located in suburban and rural areas, and how many are located in urban areas? I'm quite sure that most are located in suburban areas but I would like to see the numbers. Google here I come. :lol:

Could the trend of the 60's and 70's ever reverse? It's been said that many more people are now returning to the cities, so of course they would need and want more convient shopping. I would imagine that this would be a very slow process, and would initially be only in the larger metropolitan centers. How about NYC? Is Manhatten, Brooklyn, Queens scattered with big boxes?

There are 'big box' stores in most large cities, though their shape usually is not that of the traditional suburban big box. Boston has Shaw's and Stop & Shops built up to the sidewalk with little or no parking at all. There are urban Targets in a number of cities as well, and even, believe it or not, urban Walmarts in other countries...

There are 'big box' stores in most large cities, though their shape usually is not that of the traditional suburban big box. Boston has Shaw's and Stop & Shops built up to the sidewalk with little or no parking at all. There are urban Targets in a number of cities as well, and even, believe it or not, urban Walmarts in other countries...

I do believe I read an article about this supposed trend back to the cities and the numbers were not backing it up at all, at least as far as a place to live. Now maybe as place to go for entertainment the numbers have gone up. Anyone remember this article?

Archived