DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't they use those parking lots too, to stack busses and the like? Like when there's a function at the civic center or convention center?

I think maybe, it's also some sort of testing/training facility for RIPTA. If an alternative location could not be found for what is done there (and I don't really see why an alternative couldn't be found), perhaps they could stack the development on top of it. Whatever it gets used for, I've never seen the entire space used, they don't seem to need so much space.

i like the art mall idea, its good idea no matter where you put it, but i think it would be more successful on wickenden/point street/south main in fox point

how bout a city of miles?

mile of history = benefit

mile of restaurants = atwells

mile of art/antiques = wickenden, point street, or south main

haha etc etc

• 2 months later...

Note before anyone complains about the surface parking- be aware most of it is under the interstate overpass.

Not the large lot at Kinsley and Harris, or all the parking along Harris.

2006-0914-produce001.jpg

I'm all about parking under the highway, great solution, but that surface parking on the corner of Harris and Kinsley is a deal breaker for me.

And is it a Quincy Market style "Farmer's Market" or is it big box retail. I actually prefer big box retail in this location, it's just if it is big box retail, then stop calling it a Farmer's Market.

The date on the drawing I posted is 07/11/2006. Also, the parking fronting Harris in this plan is labeled as garage (you can't read it at this resolution). So it looks like parking fronting Harris in a garage, with retail behind? St. Florian designed this?

The grey areas are labeled, "Hotel Elevator Lobby" with "Hotel Valet" in the parking spaces infront of them.

Very disappointing in my opinion. Who needs a suburban stripmall in that location - with surface parking in front to boot! What a lazy, visionless solution for this challenging space. There is nothing wrong with having retail, but the execution is just terrible in my opinion. Hardly an improved view for those living at the 903!

Dont forget though they have to work with the current historic building. This should provide good results, big box or not. Also all the land for surface parking lot is A: near or under the interstate B: ten feet from the Amtrak tracks.

Thankfully they are also working with a good architect. I think a big box is not all that bad here - Its still walkable for those who live downtown, ALCO, 903 etc and its also near the mall. It maybe not a true Urban Bigbox but here in a historic building could work well for the area without becoming a suburb

jeffplace2.jpg

This is more of a general comment, but what is the huge issue with surface parking? I realize large areas of parking lots aren't pretty to look at, but in a city lacking in the mass transit department, I don't see Providence as a city with a limited number of cars. Let's face it, surface parking is needed for a development such as this.

If I remember correctly, Cathedral Square was an attempt to discourage car use, and we all know how well that turned out. :D

Looking at these plans makes me think they aren't saving the historic structure. And if they were to save it just to put a parking deck between it and Harris Ave., really, why bother? There is plenty of room behins the building for a parking structure, and if they are indeed tearing it down, then there's no reason parking can't go in back. And the parking on the surface at the corner of Harris and Kinsley is utterly ridiculous. We're trying to bring the river back, and reconnect this area to Downcity, and they want to put up a parking lot? Are they daft? Can't they understand the attraction of street fronting retail at this location, a plaza with outdoor dining? I wonder if St. Florian is off his meds.

PVDFruit001.jpg

PVDFruit002.jpg

surface parking is not a good use of land. It is bad for the environment. It looks like sh*t and it is the cheap way out for developers who either lack the innovation or the capital to actually build a parking structure, or underground parking. Surface parking, downtown, in a 21st century city is an embarassment and a travisty.

and turning the produce market into a big box retail chain store blitz is beyond embarassing.

I think they have to save the building - Its listed as historic preservation from what I understand.

Also I think what you are seeing is them expanding the back of the building then taking down the overhang part in the front and using the old loading dock/overhang as more parking area.

PS this is one of the awfullest things i've seen in a long time. It blew thru CPC, but i don't think we'll see it again. I can't remember. But i sure didn't like it then. Is it on my agenda for next week? I'll have to check.

and if they want the historic tax credits, which they are counting on, they have to save the building. They were approved as the developer of tihs project because they were saving the building. if they aren't doing that now, it should go back out to bid, frankly.

and if they want the historic tax credits, which they are counting on, they have to save the building. They were approved as the developer of tihs project because they were saving the building. if they aren't doing that now, it should go back out to bid, frankly.

I think an amendment should be added to the Historic Tax Credit bill stating that if you want the credit, you have to be able to see the historic structure. If they are building a parking structure along Harris (which is indicated by the July plans) then we'll never see the building they are getting credit to 'save.'

I think an amendment should be added to the Historic Tax Credit bill stating that if you want the credit, you have to be able to see the historic structure. If they are building a parking structure along Harris (which is indicated by the July plans) then we'll never see the building they are getting credit to 'save.'

i would be surprised if Ted Sanderson signed off on that, but you never know... wait, when we saw this, all the parking along harris, right in front of the building, was all surface. there was no garage. i'm not sure where you see a garage in this or am i just being dense?

i would be surprised if Ted Sanderson signed off on that, but you never know... wait, when we saw this, all the parking along harris, right in front of the building, was all surface. there was no garage. i'm not sure where you see a garage in this or am i just being dense?

In the pdf Brochure it lists parking as surface and underground - no mention of a garage. I dont neccesarily have an issue with this being mass market retail, Im just not keen on the surface parking and leary of the execution.

They aren't preserving this building at all. Part of the charm of this building is the covered loading deck. My father would bring me down here as a kid at least twice a month and we'd buy boxes of fruit to last a couple of weeks (my parents eat a lot of fruit!). I loved walking along the deck from distributor to distributor with my dad comparing prices.

Imagine a few tables out on the deck in the summer providing all weather dining opportunities. I can think of quite a few buildings just like this in the warehouse district in Pittsburgh and in LoDo Denver that have just that! The currrent plan is a travisty. I'd rather they demolish the building and build a strip of big boxes with more apartments and condos on top. Maybe they could add a modernist glass addition with residential or hotel use - ANYTHING more than what's planned and no surface parking between the river and building!

They aren't preserving this building at all. Part of the charm of this building is the covered loading deck. My father would bring me down here as a kid at least twice a month and we'd buy boxes of fruit to last a couple of weeks (my parents eat a lot of fruit!). I loved walking along the deck from distributor to distributor with my dad comparing prices.

Imagine a few tables out on the deck in the summer providing all weather dining opportunities. I can think of quite a few buildings just like this in the warehouse district in Pittsburgh and in LoDo Denver that have just that! The currrent plan is a travisty. I'd rather they demolish the building and build a strip of big boxes with more apartments and condos on top. Maybe they could add a modernist glass addition with residential or hotel use - ANYTHING more than what's planned and no surface parking between the river and building!

Can I get an AMEN!?

I have no issue with big boxes coming here in an urban context, I wouldn't mind seeing part of the warehouse knocked down to make way for a suitably urban box (perhaps the end closest to the highway ramp). Build a tower with garage parking at the Kinsley Street end, and rehab the warehouse in between with a promenade of shops and restuarants.

Archived