DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
don't think it wouldn't happen! plus, since this developer has already been before the CPC before the new comp plan, guess which comp plan he'll insist on using if and when he comes before the CPC? That's right. The old one. the one that allows for just about anything in an M1 zone. ANYTHING.

Maybe you should stick around so you'll have the chance.

well, now i regret that i won't be on the CPC the day that Kelly Coates comes back to the city with his big box retail suburban single story development with 500 parking spaces.

I'm much more pissed about how this all went down than actually losing that building. I agree that its an eyesore (though so is the 903) but it was only one because Carpionato allowed it to become one. Maybe we should let the Arcade fall into neglect next so in five years we can emergency demo it...

It's a shame to lose the Farmer's Market for a number of reasons. The owner of the building deliberately not improving it in order to demolish it and build something else. Whoever botched the wording of the final agreement that would have prevented the demolition of the building. Just seems like money talks with a developer like this. I agree with you here about the $10 million fine and also one blogger suggested removing Carpionato Properties from developing Parcel 12. To borrow the old cliche, you can't fight city hall either in this case because the mayor supported the official that issued the emergency demolition permit.

That being said, it's a shame that the state was unable to save this structure for the future.

It's interesting that in discussing this with family members I was the only one hoping for it to be preserved.

Dad looked at it practically that it cost less to knock the building down than an expensive rehab. My grandparents were glad to see the building demolished, seeing it as long overdue for a building was not that old.

Given the way the Cicilline administration has been handing out emergency demo permits like Halloween candy, Tarro would have probably had their shiny parking lot now where the Grove St. school is if they had gone through the proper procedure (although maybe you have to be a Crapionato or a Procaccianti to get the easy permit).

What I don't get is that I thought the Historic District Commission had to ok these demo requests. It looks like with the Police Station and the Warehouse that this step got skipped altogether. The Warehouse is covered by the ICBD and this should have triggered a review as far as I understand it.

Is this a case of the city not following its own rules or is there some fine print that gives developers and the city a huge loophole?

In a strange twist of reality, TheAnk applauds the efforts of The Steelyard guys for putting themselves in the way of backhoes.. What a travesty..

Personally, I'm torn on whether the actual structure is worth saving.. Just being honest..

BUT THEY BOUGHT IT AT UNDER MARKET SPECIFICALLY TO SAVE IT.. This is why I have to leave this state.. Our property taxes go up insane amounts so these corrupt individuals in govt and certain high income people get sweetheart deals like a free 10 million dollars.. I really am at my limit with this stuff.. How much more squeezing can the middle class take to benefit the rich and the poor???? :angry:

Given the way the Cicilline administration has been handing out emergency demo permits like Halloween candy, Tarro would have probably had their shiny parking lot now where the Grove St. school is if they had gone through the proper procedure (although maybe you have to be a Crapionato or a Procaccianti to get the easy permit).

What I don't get is that I thought the Historic District Commission had to ok these demo requests. It looks like with the Police Station and the Warehouse that this step got skipped altogether. The Warehouse is covered by the ICBD and this should have triggered a review as far as I understand it.

Is this a case of the city not following its own rules or is there some fine print that gives developers and the city a huge loophole?

I think $10,000,000.00 flying out the window is indicative of the fact that the State House is a public safety hazard and should be demolished post haste. How many children in Rhode Island could be fed with $10,000,000.00? How many school books could have been bought with $10,000,000.00?

I think I beat you both to it, but actually, my friend Ashley clued me into that theory. Don't the rest of you laugh... it could happen. The people over there running the leasing are really not into their jobs. That place could be a great shared office environment like the Grant, but again, no one over there has any vision. Instead, they lose money every month and do nothing to promote new businesses in there or attract anything new either. Granoff owns it, and wouldn't it be great if they had all that extra ground space for more of their floundering tower? Maybe the Arcade can keep the facade but become a parking garage entrance instead. Don't laugh, it could happen in this town. The oldest mall in America is now a parking garage.

In my opinion, the real tragedy here was the building of the highway ramps AROUND the building in the first place, which was obviously the easiest, most cost effective way of doing it, with zero regard for the future of that part of the city.

Now, I like the building. And I think it could be reused in cool way. But I don't think it is that huge a deal that it is being torn down and replaced with something new. But for me, what really matters is what is going to replace it. It has always been industrial and commercial area, so I am fine with the shift to more retail oriented use, even a Target. I can see a Target and Best Buy there, with a parking structure, and a mid-priced hotel tower, and some offices, and a restaurant, all built to the street edge on harris ave, and no or very little surface parking. I can see it, and actually think that would be great there (and HAVE seen it in Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco), but I don't believe it will happen here. No way. Which sucks.

Now, the 10 million dollar loss on the initial taking of the property, based upon a sale restriction that was never even recorded? That is just plain stupidity...something that seems to be rampant in PVD and Rhode Island...

I think I beat you both to it, but actually, my friend Ashley clued me into that theory. Don't the rest of you laugh... it could happen. The people over there running the leasing are really not into their jobs. That place could be a great shared office environment like the Grant, but again, no one over there has any vision. Instead, they lose money every month and do nothing to promote new businesses in there or attract anything new either. Granoff owns it, and wouldn't it be great if they had all that extra ground space for more of their floundering tower? Maybe the Arcade can keep the facade but become a parking garage entrance instead. Don't laugh, it could happen in this town. The oldest mall in America is now a parking garage.

Archived