DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have trouble imagining that the Arcade could be demo'ed although I think people are right to be vigilant and I would be happy if someone like RISD were to acquire it and secure its use permanently. It just seems to me that the fact that the Arcade is in limbo has to do with the W project next door being up in the air.

One thing is for certain: a lot of people in Providence have totally lost faith in the development process and Cicilline has a lot of work to do if he wants to restore people's faith in this process.

I just hope that the Mayor's acquiescence on the Warehouse isn't an attempt to placate Paolino whose employee at the 903 is in a position to make life difficult for him as he aspires to be governor.

I still have trouble imagining that the Arcade could be demo'ed although I think people are right to be vigilant and I would be happy if someone like RISD were to acquire it and secure its use permanently. It just seems to me that the fact that the Arcade is in limbo has to do with the W project next door being up in the air.

One thing is for certain: a lot of people in Providence have totally lost faith in the development process and Cicilline has a lot of work to do if he wants to restore people's faith in this process.

I just hope that the Mayor's acquiescence on the Warehouse isn't an attempt to placate Paolino whose employee at the 903 is in a position to make life difficult for him as he aspires to be governor.

You know, I like Cicilline in general. I've voted for him twice and would normally like to see him become governor. But I agree that on this issue he is doing a lousy job. Buddy came through after the Eagle Square fiasco and mended fences by getting a compromise on the ES design and helping get Monohasset Mill launched as well as the ICBD. With the chain of development screw-ups that have happened (Bank on Westminster, round gas station, Safety Complex and now this) Cicilline needs to reach out those interested in urbanism and architecture and convince them that Providence has not just totally sold out on the development front.

i agree with you on the arcade. i, too, can't imagine that it could easily be demo'd like some of these other buildings.

i have lost faith in cicilline and his ability to keep providence as someplace special and keep the renaissance going. unless things change, he's down at least one vote for governor, should he run (assuming his opponent isn't a moron).

I want some of what you guys are smokin' if you think that ANYTHING is safe in Providence any more. And i think we can pretty well kiss Grove St School goodbye, now that we have "precedent." i think the stretch to give the warehouse a demo permit was far more tenuous than that of Grove Street School. If there is a Cod, i hope I'm gone when GSG meets with the grim wreaker once again.

You know, I like Cicilline in general. I've voted for him twice and would normally like to see him become governor. But I agree that on this issue he is doing a lousy job. Buddy came through after the Eagle Square fiasco and mended fences by getting a compromise on the ES design and helping get Monohasset Mill launched as well as the ICBD. With the chain of development screw-ups that have happened (Bank on Westminster, round gas station, Safety Complex and now this) Cicilline needs to reach out those interested in urbanism and architecture and convince them that Providence has not just totally sold out on the development front.

Same here. It was one thing when he didn't bother to weigh in on the ugly designs of g-tech and Waterplace Park but something else completely to only respond that "the safety of the citizens comes first" when the demo was planned for the F and P Warehouse. Completely failed in this area. And I think he went with the "Protecting citizens comes first" comment because he needed a sound bite that showed he was concerned about our welfare after the snowstorm fiasco a few weeks ago. Sad.

I've voted for Cicilline twice as well, but I dont think I would support him again after this. This smacks of backroom shady good ole boy dealings even more than most of Buddy's deals over the years. It makes me question what else is going on.

Driving by the Tourtelot Fruit Bldg today, I was thinking, which in itself is dangerous.. There's just no way a Quincy Mkt or farmers market is pheasible... That type of thing doesn't generate the income needed for the renovations and cost of this joint.. I think that idea is a pipe dream, and better suited for a place that isn't as run down and the acqusition costs aren't so high.. Even sans the 10 mill.. Maybe I'm just beat down by the rest of PVD getting boarded up, but I'd just like something vibrant there..

Archived