DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

there are two branches of government in the city. And the city council staff absolutely read Urban Planet. Complain to the council. The council has power--they just don't use it very often.

Maybe those who have hitched their wagon to the second floor star will start to think for their constituents instead especially if it means that they might be painted with the same brush. the council members, by and large, are pretty accessible.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, Buddy is the one that saved City Hall from demolition as part of the 1960's Redevelopment Plan, called the Weybossett Hill Plan I think? The one that ended up turning a portion of Westminster Street into the not-often-used-because-it-is-kind-of-scary pedestrian mall. The plan also called for some heinous stuff in Kennedy Plaza. Thank God he implemented the Waterplace Park portion and not much else.

It's a common misperception that NHL or NR status limits what can be done to a property - the fact is that local zoning laws always trump Federal historic designation programs. Unless there's a connection to the Federal government (through funding, permitting, actions of a Federal agency, etc.), NHL and NR status provides no protection.

If the Arcade was ever in danger, the Downcity Review Committee would be the primary obstacle - that and a bunch of pissed-off preservationists.

If such a move is ever considered, I think Granof would either go for the emergency demo or propose to "preserve" the 2 facades and demo the rest of the building (aka, facadectomy); two H U G E loopholes that need to be closed or we'll continue losing buildings with little or no rational discussion.

For the record, let me just say this whole thing sucks.

I'm sure they do believe in lifestyle centers, and I'm no marketing genius, but I think moving from the mall to the Produce Warehouse site is moronic. Maybe Carpionato will build a lifestyle center there from scratch, but as it is now, there is zero pedestrian traffic there, and I don't see any sign that there will be any anytime soon. Sure it has terrific highway access, but the whole city does really, Downcity is only like 6 blocks wide. Why go to this location? We already have a lifestyle center, it's called Westminster Street. I could really see Crate & Barrel in the liner building of the Pez Dispenser garage (I was thinking how great a fit Apple would be for that spot, but if C&B is already planning to leave the mall...) or the Old Journal Building, or dress barn, or the space at the corner of Westminster and Orange...

What is so bad about parking in front? This is something I never truly understood the backlash for. I understand youse guyse want things to be walkable, but why can't they be both walkable and parkable?

Providence isn't a big city, you can pretty much drive and park as you please (except for on street during the hours of 1-4am, thank god :thumbsup: )...

I guess I just don't understand the hatred or see the inherent negatives to a place here with parking up front. Sure, if they built this on Atwells I would understand that, it would break up the flow.. But this area doesn't exactly set up well for ped access and it wouldn't look out of place at all..

Count me in as someone who just wants to see the Woons River developed from the mall to O'ville Square, regardless of what goes in there.. Unless you are going to blow up all these existing buildings and grid it out, we have to be willing to accept projects that make sense and make money.. Because otherwise, it will continue to have buildings like tort fruit and that ex-flower store next to the blood bank.. That place is a real gem..

In related news, there is an IHOP now down the street..

They actually have some really good urban stores, but as we all know, we here in Providence don't require anyone to live to those kinds of standards.

Also, AiR, I understand C&B's motivation, and would agree this is a good move if they were saying "give us this type of location or we are leaving PVD." but this is basically Carp competing with the mall by putting one of their suburban pieces of sh!t right in the middle of the city. I guess the point is why would the city planners really say to themselves - "gee, what a great idea." On the other hand, I don't know if the mall is looking to add any stores, maybe they will be able to fill the space quickly.

I also don't like C&B on Westminster as I would like Bowl and Board to be somewhat successful.

Archived