Charlotte's Urban Lowe's Home Improvement

monsoon

Conformity did not develop the store. Conformity just developed the parcels surrounding the store, so I can't really fault them for the lack of urban Lowe's entrance on South Blvd.

That's correct. All kudos to Conformity for a well done job on Southborough. The project has turned out visually appealing, practical, and brings a truly urban experience and environment. The Lowe's itself looks no different than any other Lowe's. The thing is huge and may not be the best as far as an urban environment, although the synergy between the two projects helps to alleviate any negative vibes that a big box store brings. I'm sure the Lowe's will be glorified by builders with all of the projects taking place in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great shot. I should mention (as someone who walks by frequently) that the project has a significant amount of variation on the exterior of each unit (something you can't see in this photo). This coupled with a nice attention to detail (exposed rafter tails!) makes the project a graceful fit for the neighborhood.

My wife and I went to the Lowes Sunday. Wow was I surprised it was awesome!!! Lots of things for houses in the time period of Wilmore/ Dilworth. Everyone was totally helpful and nice like Black Hawk Hardware.

Now when I do projects on my house I can just run across the street instead of driving to the suburbs to get materials. I hope this will rejuvenate Wilmore and people start rebuilding it back to its glory!!!

Although I do like the concept of this project and I am very excited that I finally have a Lowe's only a couple of miles away, I always wondered about noise issues for the residents. I looked at Southborough 1 1/2 years ago but I thought it would be really noisy being right by the Lowe's. Does anyone else think the noises of the trucks coming in and unloading all night long would be an issue?

There is also a huge wall and the ramp up to the roof to protect the homes on Lyndhurst from the sounds of the truck deliveries. I think they mitigated the noise issue very well.

I didn't realize they had different products that tailored to the older homes found closer to downtown. That is an excellent move that I was not predicting.

I did notice when I went that they also have stuff you would not expect to see like chain link fencing rolls. I sure hope no one buys it other than construction workers for temporary installation!

• 1 month later...

OK, so the parking issues that now exist around the new businesses on South Blvd there have brought to light what is a very disappointing design decision (maybe code related? Lowe's related?)

That huge parking deck on top of Lowe's? Completely inaccessible to Five Guys/Noodles etc. I'm already a little irked at just how much parking that had to be crammed into the site, but this lack of access really does not utilize what parking there is.

(also an aside - this thread title is short an apostrophe)

I fixed the apostrophe for you but not the parking situation.

There is a deck for Southborough, which is actually a separate project from the Lowe's. There also is street parking.

I do agree, though, that it would have been very reasonable for Lowe's to add an exterior staircase for overflow. Lowe's doesn't need all of its parking for 90%+ of the year.

Conformity, can you shed light on why the parking was not shared at all?

Tried to secure parking easements unsuccessfully. I recall the primary issue being liability and some of it was "bandwidth". We'd already covered a lot of issues and the calendar was running thin. There was a limited appetite to see this issue through (additional documents/time, etc.). I agree that it is less than ideal that we do not have access to that roof and having it would have provided an opportunity for some even cooler things to happen.

Tozmervo, I should also add that limited parking is actually a city planning desire for the area around the Lynx lines. It certainly has minimally sufficient parking there with a deck of its own, but not at typical suburban levels. Parking scarcity does help spur people to walk and take transit.

Tozmervo, I should also add that limited parking is actually a city planning desire for the area around the Lynx lines. It certainly has minimally sufficient parking there with a deck of its own, but not at typical suburban levels. Parking scarcity does help spur people to walk and take transit.

While I heartily applaud that desire, the Lowe's has oodles of parking, much of which will never be used. Ironically, if that excess parking didn't exist I wouldn't have even raised the issue. I'm sure our friends in Mooresville got cold feet when it was suggested that they didn't need every single space possible.

As it is, when construction is done on the townhomes there will be a lot more street parking available (its taken up by material lay-down right now).

Tried to secure parking easements unsuccessfully. I recall the primary issue being liability...

Lawyers: destroying common sense design and planning, all to protect the little people.

I also don't think this would be an issue except it is leading to people parking in really unsafe locations. South Blvd is already a dangerous road along that stretch for cars, bikes and people, and right now it isn't helping the situation. Of course, I place the blame for that squarely on the city for allowing South Blvd to remain a relatively high speed corridor through there when it plainly isn't. Even before Southborough, they should have installed lights and crosswalks at Magnolia and McDonald. </tangent rant>

We've eaten at the Noodles place and 5 guys a handful of times, each time parking in the Lowe's lot closest to South and walking over. Though I know to many Charlotteans that is a looong walk (at least 50 yards), but come'on, better than illegally parking in the street. There is a huge, wide, sidewalk the whole way walking past the garden center.

We've eaten at the Noodles place and 5 guys a handful of times, each time parking in the Lowe's lot closest to South and walking over. Though I know to many Charlotteans that is a looong walk (at least 50 yards), but come'on, better than illegally parking in the street. There is a huge, wide, sidewalk the whole way walking past the garden center.

Hey, I walk to these places to eat all the time... And I live about 150 yards away :)

I think the parking situation will improve here once the condo construction is completed. There's constantly traffic there from the workers there, 6 days a week. It's a constant mess to get in and out of my complex b/c so many times there's a crane or large trucks blocking one of the streets.

I heartily agree. I park at Lowe's all the time and walk to the restaurants. It (maybe) takes five additional minutes.

BTW, any word on what Lowe's will use the little building at the intersection for? One sales associate there told me he had heard that it might become a restaurant.

BTW, any word on what Lowe's will use the little building at the intersection for? One sales associate there told me he had heard that it might become a restaurant.

I thought it was to be used for seasonal displays? The way it's laid out, I thought it would be difficult to create a restaurant?

I thought it was to be used for seasonal displays? The way it's laid out, I thought it would be difficult to create a restaurant?

There's a sign up that says "Outdoor Living Center." It appears that it is a part of Lowe's and not for another tenant. I have a feeling this will become the area for patio furniture, grills, etc. once the spring rolls around.

A couple things:

*I am glad to hear that some folks are parking at Lowe's and walking over. We believe, that over time, folks learn to use urban areas. Those who live in or have lived in an urban area have their secret routes, spots, methods for landing parking at their favorite haunts when they need it. The Lowe's lot will become such a place; not only for our restaurants, but other uses as the area develops.

*While Charlotte is far from being a great urban center, I certainly think that less deference to the car points to the notion that we are headed in the right direction. When parking is far less convenient than it is today, we will know that we've arrived. There are no great urban contexts that display "easy" parking. The parking may in fact be there, but it is rarely easy. It is at this point, the point at which a place responds fully to the human condition and, as an intrinsic byproduct, less so to the human's car, that parking begins to become very difficult. I would speculate that investigation would bear this out as a nearly perfect inverse relationship. The more desirable...dare I say beautiful...an urban condition is, the more difficult the parking.

That is not to say that all areas with difficult parking are necessarily well planned, rather that excellence will certainly lead to parking problems.

*Lowe's had intended to use the "Outdoor Living Center" to market seasonal items. They do have the flexibility to use it for unrelated purposes...to lease it out to a 3rd party.

My guess is that the sales person heard of Conformity's restaurants and thought that was what was planned in the building at the Iverson corner. Of course it COULD be used for a restaurant, but it seems more likely that they'd use it as intended, which is for the stuff they normally litter the outside of their store for like grills, lawnmowers and stuff like that.

my apologies for gushing but I wanted to say that, as a neighborhood resident I am very pleased with how the whole complex is shaping up. I walk to lowes and the restrauants frequently and the townhomes appear to fit the neighborhood well.

This is a great example of thoughtful urban design, thanks!

A couple things:

*I am glad to hear that some folks are parking at Lowe's and walking over. We believe, that over time, folks learn to use urban areas. Those who live in or have lived in an urban area have their secret routes, spots, methods for landing parking at their favorite haunts when they need it. The Lowe's lot will become such a place; not only for our restaurants, but other uses as the area develops.

*While Charlotte is far from being a great urban center, I certainly think that less deference to the car points to the notion that we are headed in the right direction. When parking is far less convenient than it is today, we will know that we've arrived. There are no great urban contexts that display "easy" parking. The parking may in fact be there, but it is rarely easy. It is at this point, the point at which a place responds fully to the human condition and, as an intrinsic byproduct, less so to the human's car, that parking begins to become very difficult. I would speculate that investigation would bear this out as a nearly perfect inverse relationship. The more desirable...dare I say beautiful...an urban condition is, the more difficult the parking.

That is not to say that all areas with difficult parking are necessarily well planned, rather that excellence will certainly lead to parking problems.

*Lowe's had intended to use the "Outdoor Living Center" to market seasonal items. They do have the flexibility to use it for unrelated purposes...to lease it out to a 3rd party.

Wow what a great post.

Does anyone know if there are plans to paint some sort of cross-walk on the street that runs into South and cuts Lowes/5Guys/Noodle place from the next block of South, towards Uptown? I like to walk with my three year-old kids from the Trolley over to 5 Guys for lunch and it is a real scare to cross that street (I can't recall which one it is right now). Drivers pull up quickly to the stop sign, eager to turn right. If this an emerging pedestrian I would hope that an easy fix could happen.

^ That is something I've desperately wanted to see more of from Uptown all the way past New Bern along South Blvd. Its one of those rare issue, in fact, that has gotten me riled enough to send a letter. In this case, it was an email to CDOT. I did get a response that said it was being forwarded on to other parties there, and I hope it made some kind of impact. (Frankly, this issue could warrant its own thread, especially if applied across the city - "How to improve pedestrian access")

Archived