Charlotte's Urban Lowe's Home Improvement

monsoon

I checked out the site last week, and it is having a really positive effect on that little slice of South End. I really like the design of the office building, and it will have some great skyline views.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the traffic affects of Lowe's are, but so far, I like Dilworth should be overjoyed at this development as opposed to a bunch of vacant industrial uses.

^Dubone, as far as Iverson, I believe all the remaining houses are for sale (marketed together) between South and Lyndhurst. It's a bit pricey though, so I'm not sure who will bite, especially for primary views of the Lowe's parking lot.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out the site last week, and it is having a really positive effect on that little slice of South End. I really like the design of the office building, and it will have some great skyline views.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the traffic affects of Lowe's are, but so far, I like Dilworth should be overjoyed at this development as opposed to a bunch of vacant industrial uses.

^Dubone, as far as Iverson, I believe all the remaining houses are for sale (marketed together) between South and Lyndhurst. It's a bit pricey though, so I'm not sure who will bite, especially for primary views of the Lowe's parking lot.

I'm not sure you are correct that all the remaining houses are for sale, marketed together, between South and Lyndhurst. I own a house on Iverson across from Lowes between Lyndhurst and Iverson and it is not for sale. Jan

• 3 months later...

^It probably won't have any effect on the Southend Lowes store. Lowes is suffering a bit from building too many stores in an economy that is getting really soft. Aside from the Southend store, they just opened a store at NorthLake, one on the West side of Lake Norman, and another in Troutman. That is 4 brand new stores in a relatively small area (where there were already 2 other stores) and I am sure there are others.

Personally I think Lowes has moved too much in the direction of selling cheap chinese made junk at excessive prices and doesn't represent the bargain place (of quality items) that it used to be. A better deal on almost everything they sell can be had elsewhere. This is probably another reason their earnings are hurting.

I agree with the critique of Lowe's products (I tried to buy a caulk gun from them and my options were a $2 one from China, a $4 one from China, a $6 one from China and a $10 one from China. I didn't see any difference, so I bought the $2, and I'm sure their product managers lump me in with 'wants lowest price at all costs' buyer, which I'm not).

Anyway, one of the reasons for Lowe's building the Southend store in the first place was over saturation and competion in the suburbs with virtually no stores in the central cities with hundreds of thousands of people. Going inward to cities is something they view as something that can offset slower growth in the suburbs (which has taken a larger hit with the economy and slower new home sales).

In short, I think just like the Target in Midtown, this store will have no issues with sales.

Lowe's and Southborough Update 02/28/08:

Southborough is looking great! Love the use of materials on it as well as the matching on the front retail.

With all of the talk on here about materials in Charlotte, hopefully this project proves to satisfy much better. The brick is very nice looking.

02-28-08041.jpg

02-28-08042.jpg

I'm watching for that curved corner piece to become EIFS-tastic anyday now...

After looking at all of these photos and the capital dollars that are being invested into the area, maybe someone should initiate a South Blvd. Transit Corridor Tax District to generate funds to remove all of the #%*!@ - frickin powerlines !!!!

Wow - Southborough is really looking nice! I wonder how many units are left...if I was to buy in South End, I think it would be there. The land usage in Southborough is among the best I've seen in Charlotte. Couple that with the EIFS-free architecture, Southborough is the most neighborhood-conscious project going up in South End.

Okay...can't resist.

No EFIS anywhere. Some Hardi on our entry level flats and traditional towns. Lots of brick, variety of colors...hope they all work well.

More AlucaBond coming as well. Deck downs (framed already in the photo) feature a healthy dose of AlucaBond.

Two of our 3 restaurants are signed, sealed and delivered. They vary slightly from what I expected the line up to be. Once the last restaurant signs, we'll announce them.

Views from office levels are incredible...see SouthEnd unfold over the next few years right in front of you and great views of downtown. Was able to get up there for the first time a couple weeks ago. Half the deck towns have rooftop views as well (other half look at VOSE).

Thanks for posting the photos Andy.

As to power lines, couldn't agree more. We split close to a quarter mill with Lowe's to bury the stuff along Lyndhurst that would have been directly in front of our yet to be built townhomes. They pop back up at the Magnolia corner because the city wouldn't let us move the poles across the street. Unbelievably expensive work. Lines have also been removed (although they were neglible to begin with) along Magnolia. They remain along Iverson and South. There is a supplemental tax district in South End. Perhaps over time some of the money will go to dealing with the power lines. James.....you out there?

Supposedly the South End tax district will get rolled into the Center City umbrella, from what I hear, so over time I think its reasonable to think that will happen at least within that district. But as to what timeframe... thats anyone guess.

Is AlucaBond the same material used on the Bobcats arena?

Can't warrant that.....similar I suspect. Goes by different brand names. Our system isn't actually the AlucaBond brand....different manufacturer See the Ratcliffe wings that look like metal....looks like that. There is some up on our building now on the parking deck side, but it will figure more prominently on our wing and the South Blvd elevation.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics. I was over that way on Thursday and walked around the Southborough site. It is really turning out quite nice. The brick work is of a good quality and so are the other materials. Combine that with the existing Village of South End and this part of town is starting to take on a nice urban feel. Now if only we can get rid of the above ground power lines on South Blvd.

• 3 weeks later...

They've removed the fencing along the corner of South Blvd and Magnolia in front of the retail portion of this project and in front of some of the first sets of condos/townhomes. I'm guessing they may start landscaping soon as the exterior work is pretty close to being done. Has anyone heard anymore info on who the potential retail tentants may be?

• 3 weeks later...

A few updates on this:

- Lowe's will open in August

- A restaurant has been signed and the opening date is in August/September. No word on who the tenant is though.

- A number of above ground power lines have come down along Lyndhurst and Magnolia. I can't tell you how much more aesthetically pleasing that is.

A few updates on this:

- Lowe's will open in August

- A restaurant has been signed and the opening date is in August/September. No word on who the tenant is though.

- A number of above ground power lines have come down along Lyndhurst and Magnolia. I can't tell you how much more aesthetically pleasing that is.

Five Guys will open in the retail bay closest to Lowe's. The McAllister Group is handling there upfit and that work has begun.

The Wine Loft will occupy in the middle bay. The Wine Loft is a locally owned and operated franchise (as opposed to a corporate owned location). The concept has about 30 locations nationwide. Check them out at www.thewineloft.net. You'll see "Charlotte" under "Locations".

The last bay will be occupied by another restaurant. We are about 2 weeks on being able to announce that one, but I'll put it up here before sharing the completed lease up with the media.

We begin delivering keys in June to homeowners in the deck towns behind the mixed use building. The flats (adjacent to Lowe's) will follow on shortly thereafter and the outlying transitional bungalow style townhomes will be delivered in final phase. We will begin pouring pads for this final phase in about 2 weeks.

Five Guys will open in the retail bay closest to Lowe's. The McAllister Group is handling there upfit and that work has begun.

The Wine Loft will occupy in the middle bay. The Wine Loft is a locally owned and operated franchise (as opposed to a corporate owned location). The concept has about 30 locations nationwide. Check them out at www.thewineloft.net. You'll see "Charlotte" under "Locations".

The last bay will be occupied by another restaurant. We are about 2 weeks on being able to announce that one, but I'll put it up here before sharing the completed lease up with the media.

We begin delivering keys in June to homeowners in the deck towns behind the mixed use building. The flats (adjacent to Lowe's) will follow on shortly thereafter and the outlying transitional bungalow style townhomes will be delivered in final phase. We will begin pouring pads for this final phase in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the update Conformity. The Wine Loft looks pretty neat. I think it will be a welcome addition to the area. It will be a nice place to walk to and from for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived