Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HIGHLY doubt that we'll be getting a library that looks anything like that. If Norfolk had a nice historic area in which it planned to put such a building it would be great. However, Brambleton and Granby is not the place.

Norfolk should try something that is modern but will stand the test of time. ODU has a very nice looking library (that is actually a facelift of a brutalist styled building) and it works very well. Something that fits in with the up and coming buildings and what they have at TCC already (which are nice and pleasant) would be the smart thing to do. The new library at the Oceanfront is a good example of modern yet not too outlandish.

The actual Kirn library building would not be so bad if it was not a time-warp. When you build something and let it sit and rot for 50 years, anything will look bad. And to top it off, there are more floors that are filled with books that are not opened to the public. Total waste. Hopefully, if they merge with TCC they will also have a staff shake-up as well.

I just hope it actually has some sort of size to it and its a good library for research. It should have alot of resources to it. Hopefully it will be better than VaBeach's central library, which is a pretty good library in my opinion. Being downtown it should be at least 7-10 stories and maybe it could be a mixed use building. Hey maybe with condos on top of it, lol!

I just hope it actually has some sort of size to it and its a good library for research. It should have alot of resources to it. Hopefully it will be better than VaBeach's central library, which is a pretty good library in my opinion. Being downtown it should be at least 7-10 stories and maybe it could be a mixed use building. Hey maybe with condos on top of it, lol!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well VA Beach's library is nice and not to mention fairly new. Not only that but they recently did a mild face lift and it looks even better. Norfolk should be very ashamed when every other city in the area has a nicer library (even Portsmouth's is more pleasing to the eyes!).

Ok enough about librarys...haha. Well I asked my friend at Norfolk Planning about Tim Polk's quote, where he said about the projects being significantly taller and all. He said it refers to projects we already know about (granby tower, 10-story courts tower). That doesn't make a lot of sense to me......maybe he's just not giving us details. But it could be right. Look at it this way. A 29 story condo tower would be significantly taller than other condo towers we currently have downtown, right? The quote could be interpreted in that way. Also we have a taller courts building coming that is taller than what we currently have downtown in terms of courts buildings. Sad...but maybe true? who knows.

Ok enough about librarys...haha. Well I asked my friend at Norfolk Planning about Tim Polk's quote, where he said about the projects being significantly taller and all. He said it refers to projects we already know about (granby tower, 10-story courts tower). That doesn't make a lot of sense to me......maybe he's just not giving us details. But it could be right. Look at it this way. A 29 story condo tower would be significantly taller than other condo towers we currently have downtown, right? The quote could be interpreted in that way. Also we have a taller courts building coming that is taller than what we currently have downtown in terms of courts buildings. Sad...but maybe true? who knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Granby Tower(s) (I don't know why it is still plural, but whatever) is 29 story and 3 taller than Dominion, I think. That's not exactly significant, but nonetheless it is taller. Judging from the hamptonroads.com article that first stated "significantly taller buildings are coming down the pike", I don't know if Granby is it. Either way, it's a good start, IMO.

Granby Tower(s) (I don't know why it is still plural, but whatever) is 29 story and 3 taller than Dominion, I think.  That's not exactly significant, but nonetheless it is taller.  Judging from the hamptonroads.com article that first stated "significantly taller buildings are coming down the pike", I don't know if Granby is it.  Either way, it's a good start, IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but it could mean categorically. For instance, there are taller condo buildings coming down the pike than we already have downtown. thats true. Same could be applied to Courts buildings, etc. It may not be what we like, but it could be true. I've run out of suggestions for emails to him. I've asked pretty much everything. If you have more questions you'd like me to ask him, let me know.

Yeah, but it could mean categorically. For instance, there are taller condo buildings coming down the pike than we already have downtown. thats true. Same could be applied to Courts buildings, etc. It may not be what we like, but it could be true. I've run out of suggestions for emails to him. I've asked pretty much everything. If you have more questions you'd like me to ask him, let me know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about asking him if he knows anything of a Florida developer looking to build a condo tower in downtown Norfolk. I am sure that Norfolk will have a lot of offers once they finally get the rights to all of the properties in the Plaza area and when they announce that they will aquire the property that the public housing sits on directly behind the Plaza. Also, look for the city to make a grab at the projects across Brambleton behind the Raddison hotel! Once the city has all this property in fold, look for the offers to come rolling in! Downtown Norfolk will then have a very large amount of developable land to work with. If we are able to attract an NBA franchise, we will have to build another major hotel downtown and this will open the eyes of people all over the country and should help us become another Charlotte! I can see us being a favorable for the relocating of some major players in the business world in the next decade because of our central location on the east coast. The major concern that we must address is our transportation woes. If we can come together as a region, expect VaBeach and Norfolk to both benefit and grow at a rate never before seen in the area. I can see tons of condo towers going up when the new influx of companies and jobs come to our region. It is going to happen sooner or later!

I hope you are right. I still think the Navy's heavy influence will not help attract any new businesses here, major ones that is. There is one big key here that we need to find out to attract these businesses to the area. What, i have yet to figure that out. We have to have something that will want people to come here, something unique. I doubt if you ask people in a business where they would like to relocate, Norfolk would be very low on the list, if at all. We have got to bring that high on the list.

I hope you are right. I still think the Navy's heavy influence will not help attract any new businesses here, major ones that is. There is one big key here that we need to find out to attract these businesses to the area. What, i have yet to figure that out. We have to have something that will want people to come here, something unique. I doubt if you ask  people in a business where they would like to relocate, Norfolk would be very low on the list, if at all. We have got to bring that high on the list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk needs a fortune five hundred head quarters in the area. That is about the only way it is to become a charlotte. Its all about banks and large businesses.

Norfolk needs a fortune five hundred head quarters in the area.  That is about the only way it is to become a charlotte.  Its all about banks and large businesses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has one fortune 500 company, Norfolk and Southern. I think we need about 7-10 fortune 500 companies.

Thats good news. Hey i was just wondering. Norfolk General has 569 beds, then add the 112 new beds in the Heart Hospital, and thats almost 700 beds. In terms of number of beds (is that how hospitals are ranked for size?), does anyone know how that puts Norfolk General locally and nationally?

Norfolk General is the region's largest hospital (I believe) and has been in the top 50 nationally (for a few years) for heart sugery as shown here in 2004.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk General has always been the region's main and largest hospital. Like your link too, it is one of the best hospital's in the nation for heart care and the hospital expansion will only reconfirm both the hospital's size and specialty in heart care.

Archived